The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitors for surround.. 8030s? Studio Monitors
Old 20th August 2007
Question monitors for surround.. 8030s?

Im interested in setting up a surround monitoring system. I want opinions on the Genelec 8030's with the sub. Genelec 8030.LSE Power Pak | Sweetwater.com

I was thinking of these monitors with this monitor controller;
Grace Design m906 | Sweetwater.com

Since I'm new to post and suggestions on surround monitoring is welcome.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've got a pair of 8030s in one room (with a consumer 5.1 system for checking in-game stuff) and they're pretty solid for stereo work, but I've got another room with 5 8020s and the 7050B sub and I love it. Great setup.

Wish I could give you 5x 8030 specific feedback, but I don't have that config here, sorry!
Old 20th August 2007
Use 1038's and a 1038c unit, 7071A sub , and 1030 arrays in mmy dub stage.
I also own a slew of 8020's ... if you set the 8020's on the console and tweak the volume levels to match, punch the 5.1 mix to a stereo downmix.. you can't tell the difference between the *BIG* Genelecs and the 8020s .... They hav the same sonic quality and ability... just not the power.

cheers
geo
Old 21st August 2007
Thumbs up from Geo is good enough for Joe.

Any commentary on the Grace m906? Specifically the D/A section of the product? Or, recommendations regarding other 5.1 monitor controllers (Tascam has one.... I forget the model)?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes you could go for the Tascam unit, but I use the Avocet Surround controller for my rooms. I feel the D/A section is better and it's more versatile than the Grace unit.
I had the Dangerous ST/SR for a while and thought it was top notch!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 25th August 2007
I would agree with Bruce... we use DSm7.1 Tascam downmixers.. BUT we *only* use the Digital IO..

cheers
geo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search