The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slimy goo sounds Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Slimy goo sounds

Hello,

I'm trying to make some very slimy goo sounds. I've been using dog food but it just doesn't have the tone I'm looking for and it doesn't smell great also

Thanks,

Maria
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

A chamois or paper towel soaked in water is pretty good for general-purpose goo's and squishes.

If you head down to a dollar store, you can find little plastic jars of "fart putty" (plenty of different brand names). It's basically a mixture of white glue and borax, and its a viscous slimey stuff. If you get it a bit wet, you can get all sorts of intriguing effects out of it.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Great Idea, Thank you very much.

I think it might just work, this is a slow dripping slime that slowly moves down towards the ground.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ages ago, I was helping on a film where some gore manipulation fx were realized by slipping a condom over an SM57 and stabbing, mixing and otherwise slathering some cold oatmeal with it.

... now many would say "why waste a condom?" ... but ... well .. I still have the 57.

-dave
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe use some sort of slimey hairgel... I think if you follow the condom advice and dip a mic in a pot of hairgel and a couple drops of water it will sound quite gooey as well.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Try some mac and cheese. Smells better then dog food and can be dinner.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

LOL, awesome suggestions <o:p></o:p>
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Nothing quite like a fist in a mayonaise jar.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Years ago on "Robin Cook's Deadly Invasion", I had a foley artist sticking her fist into a chicken carcass, which had a chamois soaked in Dippity Doo hair gel stuffed in it. Disgusting sounds. I think the chicken was good for slaps and punches as well.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Nothing quite like a fist in a mayonaise jar.
Hey hey hey ... We're talking sound effects here, not personal hobbies.

Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Years ago on "Robin Cook's Deadly Invasion", I had a foley artist sticking her fist into a chicken carcass, which had a chamois soaked in Dippity Doo hair gel stuffed in it. Disgusting sounds. I think the chicken was good for slaps and punches as well.
Being a vegetarian I have a feeling I'll enjoy this one the most :-P<o:p></o:p>
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Paper towels soaked with raw eggs. Pick them up, drop them, crumple them up, wring them out. I believe this was used in the movie "The Thing" (the newer one) for the autopsy scene.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Nothing like the carcass of a deadbeat client for some good macabre sounds
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Great cheers thumbsup
Old 23rd August 2007
I did a horror sci-fi recently where I had to design the sound for a scene where a girl was tied down and having her baby extracted through her...ya know.
What we ended up going with was a can of mixed fruit for foley. It was so sick and perfect that we were absolutely cracking up at the results. You know when something is so good it makes you smile uncontrollably?

P.S. --> Not a pervert.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sounds great, thanks!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search