The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
23.976 Project Issue in Pro Tools DAW Software
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

23.976 Project Issue in Pro Tools

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I have been editing for a while but have done so many 30 or 29.97 shows that I think I'm a little rusty at framerate issues.

I'm helping someone out with a festival HD short and am having an issue with his exports. His Avid Express HD project is at 23.976. He claims his Qucktime is at 23.976 as well as his omf but I'm having these issues in Pro Tools.

My PT's sesion is version 6.9.2 at 23.976 as well as feet and frames with no pulldowns. I have DV Toolkit with I believe Digitranslator 2.0. (Not the new version of DV Toolkit)

Issue 1 Quicktime:

His Quicktime seems to be holding a frame for 2 frames every 6 frames or so. And he is telling me that his 2 pop and tail pop are only one frame in the avid but in my session the 2 pop is 2 frames long and the tail pop is 4 frames long.

Issue 2 OMF:

His embedded omf is when aligned with the 2 pop is way off. About 40 seconds by the time of the tail pop.

Originally With his HD project, Avid would only let him export an AAF file. I know this is a better format but I am still working on a older system and I thought an embedded omf would work better for this project. He had to do something in Avid Express to be able to export an omf for me.

I think this has to do with his outputs but it could be how my PT's session is set up as well. Any advice that you could give? Thank you in advance!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeco View Post
Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I have been editing for a while but have done so many 30 or 29.97 shows that I think I'm a little rusty at framerate issues.

I'm helping someone out with a festival HD short and am having an issue with his exports. His Avid Express HD project is at 23.976. He claims his Qucktime is at 23.976 as well as his omf but I'm having these issues in Pro Tools.

My PT's sesion is version 6.9.2 at 23.976 as well as feet and frames with no pulldowns. I have DV Toolkit with I believe Digitranslator 2.0. (Not the new version of DV Toolkit)

Issue 1 Quicktime:

His Quicktime seems to be holding a frame for 2 frames every 6 frames or so. And he is telling me that his 2 pop and tail pop are only one frame in the avid but in my session the 2 pop is 2 frames long and the tail pop is 4 frames long.

Issue 2 OMF:

His embedded omf is when aligned with the 2 pop is way off. About 40 seconds by the time of the tail pop.

Originally With his HD project, Avid would only let him export an AAF file. I know this is a better format but I am still working on a older system and I thought an embedded omf would work better for this project. He had to do something in Avid Express to be able to export an omf for me.

I think this has to do with his outputs but it could be how my PT's session is set up as well. Any advice that you could give? Thank you in advance!

No pulldowns? A 23.98 frame rate usually indicates 24p advanced so it should have used 2:3:3:2 pulldown rather than 3:2 pulldown. In other words, those extra frames you're seeing indicate to me that duplicate frames weren't removed during capture or they were added back during export. Many HD cams can run at true 24, but I know that if you're working in FCP, you have to set them at 23.98 for capture. I'm not sure if Avid has this limitation. That's just my guess. I just finished a music video shot with 24p advanced (SD) and everything worked, but I had to make sure I captured with advanced pulldown removal on.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search