The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with JBL LSR4312SP Settings
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Unhappy Help with JBL LSR4312SP Settings

Hello,

I am mixing bass-heavy music, not post, but I am sure the people here know the following info better than music people, so I am asking my questions here.

After reading the manual several times, I am very confused about the various permutations of bass management/LFE options/crossover frequency options on my LSR4312SP sub. I have LSR4328's connected to it.

1. What is recommended for music mixing with a 2.1 system in regards to bass management on/off? I am using SPIDF out of my soundcard into the sub, the satellites have a frequency response down to 50hz, and the default crossover for both bass mgmt and LFE is recommended at 80hz.

I think, based on the manual, since using SPIDF I must set dip switches 3 and 4 to the on position (Channels A and B). Then, I think, dip switch 5 to bass mgmt (if I want to ever use it), and then I can turn it off via the remote control when I desire?

2. If turn bass mgmt off, then based on my understanding, 50-80Hz freqs will still come out of my satellites, AND my sub since the LFE crossover will be set to 80 Hz - is that correct? Or does the LFE crossover come into play there, and no matter what, 50-80Hz freqs get passed to sub only? This is where I get confused.

Musicians are not familiar with LFE channels, I know it's for explosions, rumbles, etc, but in the context of music production is LFE on these speakers just another term for anything in the low freqs below the crossover that I set?

TLDR; I need help setting up this 2.1 system for music mixing, the manual is confusing to me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dolomick; 1 week ago at 05:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Music:
Nothing in the LFe input, bass manage.
Crossovers come into effect.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➡️
Music:
Nothing in the LFe input, bass manage.
Crossovers come into effect.
Thanks... so based on my understanding the LFE is a separate channel, hence in music there is no LFE like you said?

So basically there is no way in music to have duplicate freqs from 50-80hz coming out the satellites when my crossover is set to 80hz, like there can be at times when doing post for tv/film and not using bass mgmt? Not that I want to do that, but I DO want to understand it all.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Correct LFe is its own channel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used those speakers a lot, and came to the conclusion that you should mix with bass management on with that system- even if it's just stereo music. If you're running macOS Mojave or lower or Windows, you should install the LSR4300 application from JBL and run the calibration. BIG difference in sound post-calibration. Save the calibration file. My system's firmware once got hosed after a power outage and reloading the file was the only way to get the speakers talking to the computer again. TVPostSound is spot-on. Post here if you have more questions about the LSR4300s. Good luck!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman ➡️
I've used those speakers a lot, and came to the conclusion that you should mix with bass management on with that system- even if it's just stereo music. If you're running macOS Mojave or lower or Windows, you should install the LSR4300 application from JBL and run the calibration. BIG difference in sound post-calibration. Save the calibration file. My system's firmware once got hosed after a power outage and reloading the file was the only way to get the speakers talking to the computer again. TVPostSound is spot-on. Post here if you have more questions about the LSR4300s. Good luck!
Thanks Nathaniel. Any thought on crossover at 80hz vs 50hz for music? I’d be a little worried about not hearing anything below 80hz from the satellites I think.

If I don’t do bass mgmt then I would have 50-80hz coming out both satellites and sub, correct?(if crossover at 80hz) Hence phasing issues could appear, right?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomick ➡️
Thanks Nathaniel. Any thought on crossover at 80hz vs 50hz for music? I’d be a little worried about not hearing anything below 80hz from the satellites I think.

If I don’t do bass mgmt then I would have 50-80hz coming out both satellites and sub, correct?(if crossover at 80hz) Hence phasing issues could appear, right?
It's been so long since I listened to the other crossover frequencies besides 80Hz! What I remember is that I didn't like anything above 80Hz (both with Genelec and JBL). Can't remember how 50Hz sounded. But I've mixed a lot of music with an 80Hz crossover and haven't had any problems working that way. What I heard while turning bass management on and off were two things:

1. the slightly tubby sound that you get from a speaker that is trying to reproduce low frequencies and can't quite do it, goes away with bass management on.

2. overall dynamics and perceived 'power' of the system is better with bass management on. The satellites aren't being asked to do things they struggle with.

If you turn bass management off, then the sub will be completely silent except for any sound you may feed it with the dedicated LFE channel. This is a legit way to work in TV post, lots of people do it, but I don't. And yes, if you feed the same sound into the LFE channel as the satellites, you could be unnecessarily doubling up. I use the ATSC test tones to make sure the sub level is right with bass management on and off.
📝 Reply