The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting a Sound Design Job after University (post covid-19)
Old 9th January 2021
Here for the gear

Getting a Sound Design Job after University (post covid-19)

We have been talking a lot about this is University, my tutor at my current university has been saying there will likely be no jobs after covid-19 due to the damage in the music industry. Everyone in my class is doing a masters except me as I would prefer an internship in Germany.

In the meantime I have build my own website with a good portfolio. It would be interesting to see how you lot are doing especially in these strange times.

Peace
Kieron
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's too pessimistic. And, sound design is not really a part of the music industry. The music industry will adapt as it always has and become something new. The post-production industry is still in the middle of a boom with all the money pouring in from streaming services. From my perspective, that money is not evenly-distributed. The markets and the tax incentives are unbalanced and unfair, favoring certain countries or cities over others. And the industry has always been hard to get into. But there is a lot going on in sound design, and many studios that I know of are continuing their internship and apprentice programs despite covid-19. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The work has been following production schedules - as covid numbers rose, productions stopped along with the post work that would’ve gone along with them.

Productions are finally starting to pick back up along with the post work to accompany them. As long as shows and games are made, there will be a place for sound designers and editors - in fact with Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Hulu all cranking out content I expect things to be busier than ever once this nasty virus is brought under control.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I started doing sound at the end of 2008 so I get the worry, but jobs or no jobs (my category) there will continue to be movies, tv and music being made. To quote a certain sweatshop conglomerate, just do it. I have more work today from connections I made working in cafes and as a projectionist then I do from film school or my dalliances with post houses by far. The traditional route seems to barely exist now but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own way (pro tip: look out for others who are making their own way too and collaborate).

Last edited by TheMuffinMan01; 1 day ago at 04:07 AM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…