The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PRO TOOLS: Updating parent file
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear

PRO TOOLS: Updating parent file

Hey slutz,

I'm working on an audiobook right now, and printed some RX mouth de-click to the single audio file that was a bit over aggressive before I started the edit. Unfortunately it took me a whole day to realise that I had gone too hard with my pre-processing, and I'd love to be able to retain all my edits (almost all just crossfades and changing clip boundaries) while updating the parent file.

I've done edit jobs before without even sending any audio, as I think the clip definitions are all saved independently, so this really does seem possible. It would save me a full day's work if there is a way to do this. Any ideas on the subject would be most appreciated!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

You can try this but I am not confident it will work:

Close the session.
Remove the RX processed file from the Audio Files folder, copy the name of the file and rename it.
Rename the original unprocessed file with the RX processed file name.
Open session and relink manually with name.

Worth a shot.
Old 17th September 2020
Led
Lives for gear

Provided your over processed files and new files are exactly the same as far as length and in/out etc, you should be able to rename the new better files to the same name as the over processed files (copy and paste from one to the other) You'll need to put the new better files in a separate folder and use to finder windows to copy and paste the names. Then you drag the new better clips to your session audio files folder, and when asked you tell it to replace the old files that have the same name. Then when you open up the project again, PT will use the new files but with all the edits/fades etc. Make a backup copy of your project first.

You can also use the replace file option by shift+apple dragging onto the clips you want to replace, but I think that may be a ultimate only (?) and the first way is a bit less involved, at least for me, I use it to replace bought music after a client has made me do mega edits to a watermarked music track.

EDIT - Similar to what Mundox was saying, but will do it automatically when you reopen the session
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks so much guys, these tips totally work!

Such a relief for future work, really.

Phewwwww.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear