The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using a Smyth Research Realiser A16?
Old 16th September 2020
Anyone using a Smyth Research Realiser A16?

I’d love to hear anyone’s experience with this. Especially in terms of possibly using it as a way to predub before hitting the stage. Does it translate as well as they claim it can? Does it cause fatigue after a full day with it on? I’m sure material routed to the LFE will need some finessing after the fact, but what about everything else? I’m curious!!
Old 17th September 2020
I was looking into that just this week. We sometimes handle mixes with 2 mixers on a show, and one or both usually have some headphone time during the mix.
I think the price is around 4500 €, so I'm also considering a secondary monitor channel feeding a binaural headphone encode. There wouldn't be the room IR, but at least the panning would be closer to target.
Old 19th September 2020
What binaural encoders are you looking at? I haven’t really played around with those at all. I was under the impression that without getting it somewhat personalized it wouldn’t be accurate enough to really translate. But again I’m speaking with no experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by srheiss View Post
What binaural encoders are you looking at? I haven’t really played around with those at all. I was under the impression that without getting it somewhat personalized it wouldn’t be accurate enough to really translate. But again I’m speaking with no experience.
I have 2 options i'm looking at right now:
one is the binaural renderer in the Home Entertainment Dolby Atmos RMU, the other is in Nuendo.
I have yet to check either workflow out completely. Concerning personalisation of the binaural feed, Steinberg work with Embody Immerse to create user profiles to be used with the VST Ambidecoder. More on that here.

I guess it's time to give that a try.
Old 4 weeks ago
Cool, thanks for the info! The $5000 price tag after shipping and taxes for the A16 is a little much without really being able to find anyone to talk to that has used it for any kind of extended period of time. Nuendo isn't really an option for my situation either unfortunately. I'll have to check out the Dolby renderer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have one and love it.

If you go that route, make sure you have a reference room or two that will let you run the unit there to capture your personal HRTF and calibrate your headphones. That IMHO is the real strength of this unit. You'll also want a pair of very accurate headphones (Stax, HD800, etc).

I used the A8 to capture my old 5.1 studio. When we did A/B tests between the cans and the mains it was uncanny how close it was (the main difference being the very lowest frequencies). The A16 is a step up from there, with improved algorithms and support for 16 channels (Atmos/Auro/DTS, anyone?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I have one and love it.

If you go that route, make sure you have a reference room or two that will let you run the unit there to capture your personal HRTF and calibrate your headphones. That IMHO is the real strength of this unit. You'll also want a pair of very accurate headphones (Stax, HD800, etc).

I used the A8 to capture my old 5.1 studio. When we did A/B tests between the cans and the mains it was uncanny how close it was (the main difference being the very lowest frequencies). The A16 is a step up from there, with improved algorithms and support for 16 channels (Atmos/Auro/DTS, anyone?)
Thanks for chiming in! Did you notice any more fatigue from using it over long periods of time than you would get from just wearing regular headphones? I cut all day in headphones a lot of the time, but I worry about listening to a binaural encoded stream wearing me out faster. Maybe that’s totally unwarranted??

I would probably be mostly predubbing dialogue in them so the lowest frequencies wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Would you recommend it for that type of purpose? If you are planning on it being finaled in the room you calibrate to is it going to pretty closely translate over?

Also have you tried it in other not so high end headphones? I have a decent pair of Beyerdynamics. Would I really need to drop an additional $1200-$1500 on a pair of their recommended headphones?

Thanks again in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

no I don't notice more fatigue, if anything it's less than with regular/stereo headphones, although that depends on the headphones' physical characteristics as much as the sound!

Yes, that's similar to some of the things I'm doing, for dialogue I think it would be ideal. You might want to capture a few different rooms - like an editing suite (smaller and drier) and a full mix stage, to compare between the two as you work and calibrate your ears to how things need to sound to translate. Like anything there's a learning curve.

I tried it with some Sennheiser HD650s and was unimpressed. It was ok, but nowhere near as convincing as with the HD800's or a pair of Stax, or the Audeze that I ended up buying. Transient response, driver speed and lightness as well as full frequency range are all important to reproduce the room correctly, and the Realiser will help by calculating a correction curve for your headphones, but cannot make lower quality cans sound like top of the line ones, they just don't have the physical characteristics needed to do so. You could always try out a pair of HD800's or similar and see what you think. They are light, dynamic and pretty darn accurate.

I noticed at Mix's recent Sound for Film and TV event Sony announced 360 VME, which I assume is based on 360 Reality Audio, and is essentially the same as what the Realiser does, but using a few of Sony's top rooms in Culver City as the venue to be sampled. It's still in beta, and I'm not on that list, unfortunately.

Hope this helps!
📝 Reply