The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Could use some help on deliverable specs.
Old 15th September 2020
Could use some help on deliverable specs.

Hey gang. I'm dealing with an international deliverable spec of -23 LUFS (all soundtrack elements, not just dialog) and a maximum peak level of -10dBFs.

Isn't the typical spec for peak level usually -2 for LKFS and -1 for LUFS? What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

It might be a case where the broadcast is going out on both digital and analog signals. That, and some countries/territories haven't fully upgraded their specs yet. I have seen similar.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Story View Post
Hey gang. I'm dealing with an international deliverable spec of -23 LUFS (all soundtrack elements, not just dialog) and a maximum peak level of -10dBFs.

Isn't the typical spec for peak level usually -2 for LKFS and -1 for LUFS? What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2020
Thanks, Randall. So how did you deal with it? The QC shop is dishing out a fail on peak level. Getting to a -10 peak would require some rethinking of how I mixed the film.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

not much you can do there.
This combination exists either for legacy reasons or as Randall mentioned to use the same asset on linear broadcast and for online purposes to have the headroom to raise the LUFS to -16 or -14 without altering the mix.

We also use -23 and -8 as master spec for all our content except for theatrical stuff.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Story View Post

Thanks!
This is the reason why when you bid for a show you ask for a "deliverables list".
If they can't give it to you by the first day of predubs or Mix then I tell them I will mix it using "standard deliverables list". If something like this comes up there are a few things you can do..
First it's an "international delivery spec". If your clients are happy with the domestic mix then make the international work as needed.
The other thing you can do is split the cost's of a days worth of work
to give them what they need.
If they don't want to pay it then revert back to point #1 , it's a International Deliverable Spec. .... make it work and do it quickly
Old 15th September 2020
Thanks, Dr. Sound. The first thing I ALWAYS ask for is a deliverables spec sheet. In this case, it was an Indy feature without a distribution deal yet, so I mixed to the "standard" and explained that adjustments might be needed depending on a future distributor's specs.

Fortunately for the filmmakers, unfortunately for me, the film DID get a deal...but unbeknownst to me. And they used my original mix and stems for the print master. Domestic QC wasn't a problem, but international obviously has different specs. Of course it failed QC, and that's when I was called upon to make the adjustments.

So mine was more of a technical question, about -10db peak particularly. I mixed to LKFS and -2 peak, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of strapping a peak limiter on the master bus and being done with it. So I was simply trying to get some sage advice about how others have managed in this situation.

Appreciate the responses!
Old 15th September 2020
Oh, and we're being compensated for the extra work. These are dream clients, and I want to get them taken care of.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear