The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NFL Crowdless Crowds - Pre-recorded Surround Crowds
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

NFL Crowdless Crowds - Pre-recorded Surround Crowds

Apparently the NFL is using pre-recorded sounds from past games to fill in the empty stadiums. They have culled enough for each stadium to make each location sound correct.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tadiums-season

I worked on a film a couple of years ago that i would have killed for these surround crowds.

I wonder what they are using from a tech point of view to cue the sounds.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting that they do this. We did some research for our channels and quickly found out that fans would not like fake crowds.

For me too hearing crowds and seeing an empty stadium would feel just absolutely weird.

Maybe a Europe / US discrepancy.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Interesting that they do this. We did some research for our channels and quickly found out that fans would not like fake crowds.

For me too hearing crowds and seeing an empty stadium would feel just absolutely weird.

Maybe a Europe / US discrepancy.
I read the opposite, that research showed fans were more into games with artificial crowds.

For that reason it has been deployed in most major football league broadcasts all over Europe.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Although QLab is standard fare for cue playback in theatrical settings as it is easily addressed by console macros via midi...without any supporting evidence, given the dynamic nature of the assignment, I suspect that samples are mapped across 88 black and white keys and are being "played" - a technique employed by some North American broadcasters, and perhaps others, during past Olympics.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Note that the natural sound mix (without fake crowds) is available for many soccer games via streaming online. I much prefer this. It's interesting to hear the players in a way that we never did before.

Also, this topic is germane to the ATSC 3.0 spec, which allows for custom sound mixes in the consumer's living room.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_fx1 View Post
Although QLab is standard fare for cue playback in theatrical settings as it is easily addressed by console macros via midi...without any supporting evidence, given the dynamic nature of the assignment, I suspect that samples are mapped across 88 black and white keys and are being "played" - a technique employed by some North American broadcasters, and perhaps others, during past Olympics.
I would most likely believe the guys who do "audience enhancement"
for TV shows are doing this.
They have the reaction chops, and all being done via a laptop. Propietary triggering software using their keyboard. Using NFL recordings.
I used to work with them in the 90s.
Look up "canned laughter"
Most recently had one sit next to me adding audience to a show I was mixing.
Plug in, record, and all levels were done by him. Pretty much in realtime.

I might be completely wrong, and the NFL has their own team doing it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear