The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Framerates differences are they still necessary?
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Framerates differences are they still necessary?

I greaw up (as most of us) during the CRT era where framerates were dictated by the frequency of the power outlets (to the best of my knowledge), so 50Hz in Europe and 60Hz in USA/Asia (?)

Now for some reason I believe the framerates where connected to that and in Europe we had 50 Frames per seconds interlaced while in US/Japan was 60 Frame per seconds (right?)

What was the real reason for these differences? was it necessary to have two set standards, and mostly does this carry on today in the era of YouTube, Digital TV etc?

What will the future be like in such regards?

and why Games are opting for 60fps regardeless of the EU/USA destination?

Thank you
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
I greaw up (as most of us) during the CRT era where framerates were dictated by the frequency of the power outlets (to the best of my knowledge), so 50Hz in Europe and 60Hz in USA/Asia (?)

Now for some reason I believe the framerates where connected to that and in Europe we had 50 Frames per seconds interlaced while in US/Japan was 60 Frame per seconds (right?)

What was the real reason for these differences? was it necessary to have two set standards, and mostly does this carry on today in the era of YouTube, Digital TV etc?

Thank you
contracts

i worked in distirbution and had exactly the same question.

if skyitalia is paying $120,000 a year for a 90s romantic comedy, then they are going to want a 1080i/50 broadcast quality file. and they will write it on their contract.
it doesnt take much effort to do it so distrubutors say its fine.

also, maybe estonia still doesnt have the equipment to playback non pal files or tapes. and tape crossconversions are more pricey.

its being adopted but very slowly, we are used to a modern world of tech and know what i7 and i9 means.. but most people , specially in more corporate media enviroments are slowler to adapt.

And also, dubbers. they stil might have older tvs or equipment so they need it in pal. or if its a EU broadcaster then they want the audio to be pal.
and also vice versa, if the prodcution equipment is pal then the end result will be pal.

But yeah.. since 2012 ive been saying that everything can be standarized to 23.98 for distribution since streaming companies surpased broadcasters money whise and amount of content. so why not just keep everything at 23.98 and anyone that needs anything different they can do it with thier NLE or DAW. But basically it felt like i was that random crazy homeless dude saying crazy stuff at a train station lol. While everyone is just saying "hey, thats their spec and thats what they take and they are paying good money" so why bother.
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
But basically it felt like i was that random crazy homeless dude saying crazy stuff at a train station lol.
I know that feeling.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post

Thank you
Tesla figure out that 230V 60Hz was the most efficient, but then dropped to 120v for safety.

Because the German power company had a monopoly, and chose 50Hz as it fit the metric system. But a 50Hz 120v wasn't as efficient, and moved to 230v

We are still 230v here in the US, 230v comes to your house but only use 1 line of 120v

50 or 60Hz is no longer that important in video, as we dont use flyback converters
on TVs to scan video lines as they were tied to voltage frequency.
So now FPS is no longer tied to Hz.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post

Because the German power company had a monopoly, and chose 50Hz as it fit the metric system.
You mean like in Pulp Fiction where the theory is that the "Quarter Pounder" is called "Royal with Cheese" in France because of the metric system?

;-)
📝 Reply