The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Was hoping someone can help me out with a BMagic Decklink card
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

Was hoping someone can help me out with a BMagic Decklink card

Hi all

I have a BlackMagic Decklink card, which I believe to be from 2003. It's a DeckLink Pro, which is a capture and playback card.

I had this working just fine in my old WinXP computer, but that went bye-bye, and I built a W10 machine, with some older components, which used to part of a W7 machine. I put the card into a slot, and installed DeckLink 7.9.4 sw. Cubase recognizes the card just as it did before, but I can't get a good signal to the monitor. I am going component, and am 100% positive I have the card connected to the monitor properly. When I launch Cubase and play the vid, the monitor stops flashing "no input" and I get an occasional flash of noise. If I switch Cubase to the internal player, the vid plays fine. The other things I tried were swapping cables, swapping monitors (I have two of the same), and changing the BM vid settings in Cubase (frame rate, size, etc.)

Can anyone think of anything for me to try? Thanks in advance.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

reseat the card and make sure it's fully clicked in. otherwise, try other pci slots.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

Tried both - thanks.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Tried both - thanks.
Maybe a different driver. They are on 12 now or.something. newer drivers work better than the old ones.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Or really old drivers sometimes works better than the new ones... it’s a bit hit and miss with the older cards.

First just make sure you actually selected a legal output format in the video output studio settings in cubase.
I have made that mistake when I stalling a new machine.

Also It has to be a format your hdmi input on your screen can handle. My old tv didn’t accept all progressive formatsand resolutions so occasionally I had to use interlaced to get a picture.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Thx

I'll see if I can pull the old driver off of the old XP HDD (which I have; I can put it in an enclosure and see if I can get to the driver). BMagic does not have a driver specific to that card; I spoke with them.

First just make sure you actually selected a legal output format in the video output studio settings in Cubase

Sure - I am sure I have that correct.

Also It has to be a format your hdmi input on your screen can handle.

It's the same monitor as before.

I am wondering if it's not the connectors at the end of the cable. I don't have a monitor w/BNC ins, so I have BNC > RCA adapters. Going to get new ones, and see if that isn't the problem.

If all fails, BMagic recommended a new card, that's only $145, so no big deal there. I just hate to waste...
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

I'd guess an incompatibility with Windows 10 on a system level. I had one knocked out by a W7 update once and had to roll back and disable updates. That was a Decklink HD probably the same generation as yours. So might be time for an upgrade... FWIW
📝 Reply