The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
easy filesharing for my clients -
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

easy filesharing for my clients -

Hi
Many of my clients send files to me via wetransfer or similar services. Even with careful discipline I have missed a couple of "download deadlines" and it is embarrasing to ask the client to re-upload.
I was wondering if I could set up a similar service in-house, that is equally easy for the client and more convenient for us.
I already have a faithful ftp server that works well for some of our clients but some others just need maximum simplicity.
Ideally: The client has a link from us he can bookmark in his browser.
The link opens a page (on our company domain) and prompts for file(s)
The client hits send and the file is uploaded to our ftp server.
Ideally an email notification is sent automatically upon success.

Do you know of a system like this?

Thanks
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Sure. set up a computer -- a Mac Mini, an iMac, -- with a decent internal storage and get this:

https://www.maxum.com/Rumpus/

All the client needs is a browser. You can make it simple. Or you can customize each client's login to their needs and even their graphics and colors -- makes for a customized personalized experience. You can also do simple dropships to them where they get a hot link. Or they can use an FTP client like Transmit, Fetch, etc.

Other advantage is that files going to them are ready as fast as you can copy it to your internal server.

When a client uploads a file to you, it is on your local network, and you'll get an email that a file has been uploaded. Then you can leave it on your server as long as you like.

Been using it for years. And support is fantastic!!!!

Tom

P.S. another cool feature is they can bookmark the page and you can use DNS forwarding to your domain which you can name something like, "files.yourdomainname.com".

P.P.S. you'll need a static IP.

Last edited by minister; 12th August 2020 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Seems like a great solution, I will look into it , thanks Tom!!
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

+1 on everything Tom said.

I’ve been using Rumpus on an old (2011 I think) Mac mini for many years and it is fantastic.

Best part is that it can live on your internal network at the studio so file transfers on your end are screaming fast.

-Mike
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

We use Digital Pigeon.
You can have a branded web page clients can upload stuff to.
Files can be automatically downloaded on any computer that has the DP app logged in.
It's cheap as chips, secure and fast with lots of options to make the interaction with the clients as smooth as it can be.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi
Many of my clients send files to me via wetransfer or similar services. Even with careful discipline I have missed a couple of "download deadlines" and it is embarrasing to ask the client to re-upload.
I was wondering if I could set up a similar service in-house, that is equally easy for the client and more convenient for us.
I already have a faithful ftp server that works well for some of our clients but some others just need maximum simplicity.
Ideally: The client has a link from us he can bookmark in his browser.
The link opens a page (on our company domain) and prompts for file(s)
The client hits send and the file is uploaded to our ftp server.
Ideally an email notification is sent automatically upon success.

Do you know of a system like this?

Thanks
I don't know what kind of project you work on but unless you are fluent in securing your IT I wouldn't recommend hosting a file delivery service yourself locally. Maintaining certificates securing storage and keeping things secure is not a trivial task as several data breaches in post houses have shown in the past.
Unless you have the expertise and gear to do this safely I'd rather get on a data-plan with a proven secure service.
A single incidence can mean game over for your business.

Some clients even dictate that nothing is sent or transferred unless it's Aspera.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
I don't know what kind of project you work on but unless you are fluent in securing your IT I wouldn't recommend hosting a file delivery service yourself locally. Maintaining certificates securing storage and keeping things secure is not a trivial task as several data breaches in post houses have shown in the past.
Unless you have the expertise and gear to do this safely I'd rather get on a data-plan with a proven secure service.

Some clients even dictate that nothing is sent or transferred unless it's Aspera.
this.
Hosting on your internal network might sound great since you can connect at LAN speed to your DAW, but it can easily result in a data breach and then you're the one to blame.
Or worse, someone uses your server to share stuff that should never be there. To really go down the rabbit hole, the worst case would be that you get a call why you're involved in sharing sexual child abuse material!
Also, it opens another attack vector into your LAN and thus your DAW.

That being said, there's an old book by O'Reilly 'Building internet firewalls' that goes through everything that's important to know if you want to build Bastion Hosts yourself. Go through that first.

In addition to the above, your single internet consumer internet connection has no redundancy, doesn't have load balancing, probably not the highest bandwidth, doesn't use CDNs etc.

In the age of cheap Aspera, Dropbox, Egnyte (they all have file request (upload) capabilities as well) in the majority of cases it's really not a good option to do the hosting yourself. FTP not either.

It might work great for years. Until it doesn't.
Basic risk management tells me not to do this.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post

In the age of cheap Aspera,
I agree but I'd be interested in learning where you are seeing "cheap Aspera"

;-)
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree but I'd be interested in learning where you are seeing "cheap Aspera"

;-)
Well, actually I don't know very much about today's Aspera. Just had a quick look. and the plan for $716 for 2,500 users seems OKish for a business.

But again, I don't know much about Aspera, it's not important in my world. The only time I use it regularly is when exchanging files with Dolby, and then I'm always cursing because I have to install a browser extension, an app and whatnot else.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's for 1TB of traffic per year. If you max those 2500 users out that is 0.4GB per year for every user ;-)

Not that 2500 users is realistic in our field but the 2500 user number is a bit of marketing bling.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

It is likely you know about this than me, but, you can easily, and for no money add an SSL certificate to a platform like Rumpus. It took me a while to figure out how to do it, but the Developer typed up a step-by-step on his blog. Sure, I have to renew it every quarter, but, I get a notice, we built a script, and it gets done. The certificate is obtained through Let's Encrypt. I ain't an IT guy, but I figured it out.

When we do ADR sessions with studio productions, we often use Aspera, or whatever they want. I will ask if they want me to use our FTP, and if they say it is ok, then we create a unique dropship link (that would be almost impossible to guess at what it is) and I will send that link. If we want more security, I will password protect the link, program it to go extinct after 1 download, email the link without revealing the password. Then use Signal or WhatsApp or similar to send just the password.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
It is likely you know about this than me, but, you can easily, and for no money add an SSL certificate to a platform like Rumpus. It took me a while to figure out how to do it, but the Developer typed up a step-by-step on his blog. Sure, I have to renew it every quarter, but, I get a notice, we built a script, and it gets done. The certificate is obtained through Let's Encrypt. I ain't an IT guy, but I figured it out.

When we do ADR sessions with studio productions, we often use Aspera, or whatever they want. I will ask if they want me to use our FTP, and if they say it is ok, then we create a unique dropship link (that would be almost impossible to guess at what it is) and I will send that link. If we want more security, I will password protect the link, program it to go extinct after 1 download, email the link without revealing the password. Then use Signal or WhatsApp or similar to send just the password.
Yeah, no offense meant. Let's Encrypt is great. What I meant was that it's not trivial like installing an app and then that's that. It needs constant maintenance and updating as threats and bugs constantly change. I'm glad rumpus works great.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

This unfortunately happened to Larson studios in the heart of Hollywood:

https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/blo...hackers-p-2500
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

For a few clients who like to use FTP, we are using Synology NAS' built in server.
It's pretty robust as far as security goes.
But unnerving to receive automated emails every now and again saying "X IP number is blocked for trying to log in too many times" etc.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, no offense meant. Let's Encrypt is great. What I meant was that it's not trivial like installing an app and then that's that. It needs constant maintenance and updating as threats and bugs constantly change. I'm glad rumpus works great.
Yes, I had a steep learning curve. And there is some maintenance. But it's doable even for a non-tech.

And I should point out, the OP is the Chief Tech for his facility, so he is not without a technical knowledge base and likely the ability to learn techy type things intuitively.

Last edited by minister; 19th August 2020 at 01:38 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear