The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATMOS on the cheaper?
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict
ATMOS on the cheaper?

I know ATMOS is an entirely different beast and I know I don't know all I need to know. Hahaha.

I saw a post where someone recently was asking about how to do it cheaply just for fun. And everyone chimed in with great knowledge about how it can't be done. So I wanted to ask about a workaround I was thinking. At least as far as the monitoring of it.

Current setup is:
Reaper -> Computer -> Antelope Audio Studio Synergy Core -> Martinsound MultiMax -> LRC (JBL 708Ps) SL/SR (JBL 306Ps).

If I were to get another (2) JBL 306p I'd have a 7.1 surround.

Here's my question:
I already have an Antelope Audio Orion Studio HD (which similar to the Synergy core has 12 outputs).
If I were to get a second MultiMax Controller, and I were to link some of the outputs from the Orion HD to the Synergy Core, couldn't I get 8 more discrete outputs our of my machine?

If the Multimax units are calibrated, I could ride the volume with two knobs or perhaps even have a Y-connector cable made to the remote of one of them and control both units with a single remote? (at least figure out which pins control the volume)

This would allow me to do from 7.1.4 to 7.1.8 as far as speaker layout.

I'd just have to get between (6) and (10) JBL 306Ps and a second Multimax?

Of course if Reaper can handle this many outputs. (which I think it can)

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated? And of course, feel free to let me know that I'm crazy as well.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict
Actually I just realized that the Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core actually already has 16 outputs. I might not even need to link it to the Orion Studio HD to get 16 discrete outputs. Which makes it even simpler. It would just need to get a second MultiMax and see if I can link the volume knob on both. I'd probably also have to do any of the bass management in the DAW if I wanted all Low frequencies from every channel to be routed to the LFE. Otherwise, I could just route the last 8 discrete channel's low frequencies to LFE via software and the first 7 channels would be done in the first MultiMax.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
I know ATMOS is an entirely different beast and I know I don't know all I need to know. Hahaha.

I saw a post where someone recently was asking about how to do it cheaply just for fun. And everyone chimed in with great knowledge about how it can't be done. So I wanted to ask about a workaround I was thinking. At least as far as the monitoring of it.

Current setup is:
Reaper -> Computer -> Antelope Audio Studio Synergy Core -> Martinsound MultiMax -> LRC (JBL 708Ps) SL/SR (JBL 306Ps).

If I were to get another (2) JBL 306p I'd have a 7.1 surround.

Here's my question:
I already have an Antelope Audio Orion Studio HD (which similar to the Synergy core has 12 outputs).
If I were to get a second MultiMax Controller, and I were to link some of the outputs from the Orion HD to the Synergy Core, couldn't I get 8 more discrete outputs our of my machine?

If the Multimax units are calibrated, I could ride the volume with two knobs or perhaps even have a Y-connector cable made to the remote of one of them and control both units with a single remote? (at least figure out which pins control the volume)

This would allow me to do from 7.1.4 to 7.1.8 as far as speaker layout.

I'd just have to get between (6) and (10) JBL 306Ps and a second Multimax?

Of course if Reaper can handle this many outputs. (which I think it can)

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated? And of course, feel free to let me know that I'm crazy as well.
Can reaper even talk to the Dolby production suite? If not, your daw is the first thing I’d look at.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Can reaper even talk to the Dolby production suite? If not, your daw is the first thing I’d look at.

It is possible if you use the Dolby Atmos music panner. Comes as a VST, AAX and AU plugin.

Last edited by LDStudios; 13th August 2020 at 02:08 AM..
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
Here is a Reddit post about this. Seems Dolby Atmos is really only looking to work with ProTools and if I understand it correctly, only on Mac and not yet on PC (if ever)

It does seem the Panner VST works on Reaper, but it appears that it's not ready to be able to create an Atmos file.

That is really sad to find out.

Perhaps with my setup with the added speakers and added second Multimax, I may be able to do get the Dolby Production Suite on a mac to work with ProTools?

I'm on PC, so I'd have to get a mac and Protools ultimate. They certainly don't make it easy.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

If you can find a used JBL Intonato, you might be happier than trying to create a 7.1.4 controller from two MultiMax units.

If you are on a PC, you are in a harder position than if you were on a Mac.

You do Ideally need a Mac of some sort, Production Suite and a way to get into the Production suite. There are a number of threads that go into this. Dante is an easy way to do this and is running PT and the Local Renderer on the same mac and using the Dolby Audio Bridge.

If you are just looking to play around with immersive audio, there are a few other, less expensive formats that you can use inside of Reaper that will allow you to play and get an understanding of what you can accomplish. If you are looking to create Dolby Atmos File Packages, then there is really only one way to go.

Randall

Quote:
Here is a Reddit post about this. Seems Dolby Atmos is really only looking to work with ProTools and if I understand it correctly, only on Mac and not yet on PC (if ever)

It does seem the Panner VST works on Reaper, but it appears that it's not ready to be able to create an Atmos file.

Perhaps with my setup with the added speakers and added second Multimax, I may be able to do get the Dolby Production Suite on a mac to work with ProTools?

I'm on PC, so I'd have to get a mac and Protools ultimate. They certainly don't make it easy.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

The Atmos tools work with ProTools, Nuendo and Davinci Resolve (which is free, but for Atmos you need the $300 studio version, but it will run on Windows, Linux and OS X).

The Production Suite is Mac-only, runs on the same (Mac) computer as your DAW. Costs about $300

The Mastering Suite and RMU run on a separate computer and connect to your DAW. But at this point it's no longer "Atmos on the cheap"...!

Quote:

📝 Reply