The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exporting AAF from ProTools to import into Premier
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Exporting AAF from ProTools to import into Premier

Hi everyone,

OK. So, I'm trying to export an AAF file from PT (latest version) so that my buddy can import the audio into Premier. Seems simple enough.

But when he imports the AAF into Premier, the file opens and he can see the regions but they all have a question mark in the regions.

I'm not sure what I am (or he is) doing wrong.

I'm following the normal procedure. Choose the tracks, open the Export Selected Tracks to AAF window, select the tracks I want to export. Then in the Export window, I'm choosing AAF at the top, and under the Audio Media Options, I'm choosing the only option which is "Consolidate from source media". The other options, link to source media and copy from source media are grayed out.

I'm on a new Mac Pro running Catalina and running the latest version of PT Ultimate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

John
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Never tried that, but isn't there an "enforce Avid Compatibility" option available upon export too? Might be worth trying...
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

We do this all the time. It’s our standard workflow to export all mixes and stems so they can be married to the final graded picture without us having to name and export a gazillion files, and it works very well. We have the Avid compatibility checkbox checked.
You have to export a referenced AAF though, Premiere doesn’t support encapsulated AAF Import (we have filed a feature request for this with our Adobe key account manager)
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
We do this all the time. It’s our standard workflow to export all mixes and stems so they can be married to the final graded picture without us having to name and export a gazillion files, and it works very well. We have the Avid compatibility checkbox checked.
You have to export a referenced AAF though, Premiere doesn’t support encapsulated AAF Import (we have filed a feature request for this with our Adobe key account manager)
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both with the Avid compatibility checked or unchecked, so I don't think that's our problem. Kos, when you say "You have to export a referenced AAF", what does that mean? I don't see any box for that. Can you explain? Thank you in advance if you can...
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both with the Avid compatibility checked or unchecked, so I don't think that's our problem. Kos, when you say "You have to export a referenced AAF", what does that mean? I don't see any box for that. Can you explain? Thank you in advance if you can...
When you export the AAF in the bottom part of the dialog box you have the "Audio Media Options". There's a drop-down there where you can choose to "link to source media" which should result in you getting a smaller .AAF file which then references the actual audio found inside a folder.

The alternative would be to embed audio into the .AAF file itself.

... if memory serves me correctly ....
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
When you export the AAF in the bottom part of the dialog box you have the "Audio Media Options". There's a drop-down there where you can choose to "link to source media" which should result in you getting a smaller .AAF file which then references the actual audio found inside a folder.

The alternative would be to embed audio into the .AAF file itself.

... if memory serves me correctly ....
Mattia, thank you.

However, in the drop down menu, "link to source media" and "copy to source media" are grayed out and not selectable. So, I only have one choice, "Consolidate from source media".

So odd.

It could be Catalina or the latest version of PT not playing nice with my friend's Premier.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Guru

It's possible that the options earlier in the dialog box determines what's available in that drop-down menu.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
Mattia, thank you.

However, in the drop down menu, "link to source media" and "copy to source media" are grayed out and not selectable. So, I only have one choice, "Consolidate from source media".

So odd.

It could be Catalina or the latest version of PT not playing nice with my friend's Premier.
'Consolidate from soure media' is the only option available if you have checked 'Media Composer compatibilty'.

For a referenced AAF make sure to select WAV in the 'Audio Format' dropdown menu. NOT embedded.

It's all in the manual on page 465ff.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
'Consolidate from soure media' is the only option available if you have checked 'Media Composer compatibilty'.

For a referenced AAF make sure to select WAV in the 'Audio Format' dropdown menu. NOT embedded.

It's all in the manual on page 465ff.
Thank you, guys. With your help, I think I've found my problem. It's true that you must uncheck "Enforce Media Composer Compatibility". However, when you do that, the "Quantize Edits to Frame Boundaries" defaults to checked. You must uncheck that box and when do so, and when you have "wav" chosen below, then the "Copy Options" pull down menu allows "Copy From Source Media" to be an option.

I've tried that and sent a test to my Premier editor; once I know he successfully imports into Premier, I'll repost here to confirm.

Thank you so much for the help, guys!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear