The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann U-87 and ozone generators
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Neumann U-87 and ozone generators

Hi,

as this is COVID situation, many studios use ozone generators to disinfect a studio/booth - I have a (possibly) important info regarding such a device and how it affects a condenser mics.

In a quite large studio here in my home town, where lots of voice actors are recorded, they used a ozone generators on a daily basis (even several times a day).

After 2 months of such "treatment" 8 Neumanns U-87 were down.

At a moment, I do not have any additional info, but perhaps it might be really important to have such a knowledge.

best,
Kuba
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

What was the issue with the mics? All 8 have the same problem?
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Yikes... I wouldn't use ozone generators at all.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...#harmful-ozone
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

i worked at a studio where the adjacent office unit caught on fire. the next morning they brought in ozone units to 'cleanse' the smoke smell from the hallways and studios. we all started feeling light headed and sick and after a few hours and after doing some research online and presenting the bosses with our findings we were told to go home. i can totally imagine that your mics were affected after being bombed for hours and days on end!!! don't subject yourself to those machines!
Old 31st July 2020
I thought these OZONE generators were outlawed a while back. Too many harmful side effects. Maybe what the studio needs is UV Lights something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5moLcp_EADI or what this article is about https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...tant-spotlight. I think we are going to see a lot of these types of UV products come to the marketplace in the next few weeks and months.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
What was the issue with the mics? All 8 have the same problem?
As I understood - yes. And all of those mic broke within the same couple of days, so it looked like this is because of ozone exposure.

Kuba
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

from what i remember, the ozone machines used at that previous studio i mentioned basically blew the ozone upward so the ozone particles would 'latch on' to the stinky smoke particles, then the combined weight would force all those particles down toward the floor which allowed them to be vacuumed or mopped up. if this happened with mics exposed then no doubt the ozone particles hit the capsules and probably adhered or something. i'm not exactly sure how the ozone would bond to the capsule, but maybe with a cleaning they can be fixed.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

I've been looking at UVC lights for disinfecting but we all have to be aware that UV-c much like UV-a or UV-b will affect materials. Similar to when you leave something out under the sun. Materials will deteriorate quicker. Specially some plastics. So I'd be concerned with that and any equipment.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
from what i remember, the ozone machines used at that previous studio i mentioned basically blew the ozone upward so the ozone particles would 'latch on' to the stinky smoke particles, then the combined weight would force all those particles down toward the floor which allowed them to be vacuumed or mopped up. if this happened with mics exposed then no doubt the ozone particles hit the capsules and probably adhered or something. i'm not exactly sure how the ozone would bond to the capsule, but maybe with a cleaning they can be fixed.
Ozone is an oxidizer, it most likely damaged the mylar.
Old 19th August 2020
Here for the gear

As far as I know, ozone has the ability to not only take away the smell but also kill any bacteria and viruses. So,yeah it is a good disinfector, especially so needed nowadays. I've read on https://www.damagecontrol****1.com/g...ne-generators/ that it can take away the odors, which is a great plus by the way. Anyway, ozone generator is a great thing when regarding the disinfection.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear