The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crowd noise for sports these days
Old 28th July 2020
Here for the gear
Crowd noise for sports these days

Hi,

Just curious about the different ways crowd noise is being added to sports broadcasts from empty stadiums these days. I'm not involved in this, although I do live near Boston's MLB stadium and have heard some tinny cheers while walking by, lol. Thanks!
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

It's supposed to make the players feel better about how bizarre the situation actually is.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

My understanding is that they licensed sounds from the video game companies that hold the respective (MLB, NHL, NBA) licenses. EA is the big one.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
Hi,

Just curious about the different ways crowd noise is being added to sports broadcasts from empty stadiums these days. I'm not involved in this, although I do live near Boston's MLB stadium and have heard some tinny cheers while walking by, lol. Thanks!
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Today I heard complaints in an NPR report that people would rather hear the announcer with less fake crowd noise... can't find a link to that.

and this from last week:
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/22/89407...porting-events
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Ad were doing quite a bit of sports content I was asked by the higher ups to research options for this.
It turned out pretty quickly that the fans would not like faked audience reactions. So we skipped on all of that.

There was a great project some years back where fans could pump sounds via an app into a PA system in the stadium. I’ll post the link when I find it.
Old 29th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
My understanding is that they licensed sounds from the video game companies that hold the respective (MLB, NHL, NBA) licenses. EA is the big one.

Randall
I see, makes sense, I'm assuming the background and reaction samples are pretty detailed in current video games. I'd guess there's a guy (maybe the former organist, lol} watching the game live and triggering the sounds.
Old 29th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Ad were doing quite a bit of sports content I was asked by the higher ups to research options for this.
It turned out pretty quickly that the fans would not like faked audience reactions. So we skipped on all of that.

There was a great project some years back where fans could pump sounds via an app into a PA system in the stadium. I’ll post the link when I find it.
I did read they were testing a system in Japan where fans at home could text certain reactions and they would be translated into audio in the broadcast
Old 29th July 2020
Gear Guru

For soccer/football, my vote would be for 1 vuvuzela for each side. Great stereo. Except for English matches, where you'd lose the vuvuzelas in favor of smashing glass and the occasional headbutt. Maybe a little of both for Friendlies.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For soccer/football, my vote would be for 1 vuvuzela for each side. Great stereo. Except for English matches, where you'd lose the vuvuzelas in favor of smashing glass and the occasional headbutt. Maybe a little of both for Friendlies.
Haha.
While testing one of the guys in my team tried some different approaches, one we called ‘idiocracy tennis’. With completely over the top sounds.
It was really hilarious but made the point that it’s probably better to create something completely new/different than trying to fake stuff and land directly in the deep end of the The Uncanny Valley.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
I see, makes sense, I'm assuming the background and reaction samples are pretty detailed in current video games. I'd guess there's a guy (maybe the former organist, lol} watching the game live and triggering the sounds.
If you go to the NPR link I posted above, you will learn:
BLOCK: The crowd sounds that Sky TV uses are all real, recorded at actual soccer matches in years gone by. They're supplied by the company EA Sports, which uses them in its FIFA video game.

PAUL BOECHLER: This is only meant to be better than no crowd at all.

BLOCK: And as authentic as possible, says EA Sports sound designer Paul Boechler, who explains their sound library is super specific.

So they came from real soccer games, not video games, then they got used in the videogame...
Old 30th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
If you go to the NPR link I posted above, you will learn:
BLOCK: The crowd sounds that Sky TV uses are all real, recorded at actual soccer matches in years gone by. They're supplied by the company EA Sports, which uses them in its FIFA video game.

PAUL BOECHLER: This is only meant to be better than no crowd at all.

BLOCK: And as authentic as possible, says EA Sports sound designer Paul Boechler, who explains their sound library is super specific.

So they came from real soccer games, not video games, then they got used in the videogame...
Great article a lot of detail, thanks!
Old 31st July 2020
Gee so that what "ping pong stereo" was all about in the 60s and 70s. It was just getting us ready for today's bizarre world of made up sports sounds. I would rather watch any sports with just the announcer and normal "sports sounds" than have an "artificial" crowd. FWIW

I guess in Cleveland you can actually purchase a likeness of yourself and have it mounted in the stands at the ball field to "simulate" a crowded stadium. What's next? Animated CGI crowds??? Enough
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Just imagine, they will no longer need to tear down ghettos to buiuld giant stadia. Just put up a field with CGI stands and crowds, selling tickets for your virtual presence and cheering your team via zoom...

https://theweek.us2.list-manage.com/...6&e=3abdde500b
Old 31st July 2020
Whoever is doing the crowd SFX at Minute Maid Field is killing it. They even triggered the typical crowd boos when a pitcher checks the runner on base. Plus, the Dodgers won both games.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Mafia View Post
Whoever is doing the crowd SFX at Minute Maid Field is killing it. They even triggered the typical crowd boos when a pitcher checks the runner on base. Plus, the Dodgers won both games.

Maybe one of the guys that were doing sitcom laughing?
They also do awards shows.
They've been know to augment sports.
My guess??
Old 31st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Maybe one of the guys that were doing sitcom laughing?
They also do awards shows.
They've been know to augment sports.
My guess??
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Crowd photo:
See+the+week's+best+photojournalism+here:+http://theweek.com/captured/928452/w...rnalism?item=1
Old 2nd August 2020
ccg
Gear Addict
I've heard a little crowd noise on NBA games in the bubble. I think they're letting the "home" team choose. I kind of like that, though I don't personally care if there is piped in crowd noise or not.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear