The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording and editing clothes in Foley (article)
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Recording and editing clothes in Foley (article)

Hey! It's Yuri from Foley First again.
Please find the new article about recording and editing clothes on Foley!

Link to the article

What you think?

Best,
Yuri
Attached Thumbnails
Recording and editing clothes in Foley (article)-photo-title-anounce-0.5x.jpg  
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Nice article! I usually get one cloth track for editing and everything else goes on props. But sometimes I wonder if some things like purse/bag moves, couch/chair moves, special material moves like leather jackets and even skin touches can't be on tracks apart from the other props also. But ya, mostly I get one cloth track, steps and props/specs for all other sounds. Would more separation just be over complicating things?
Old 27th July 2020
i know it might depend on what your recording, but last night after reading the article day after i did some cloth foley at home on a small project.

My question is, how loud or how hot should your mic pre amp be? i was about a foot away from the mic, is that to close?
Old 3 weeks ago
Great article, thanks!
I like these glimpses into other worlds as I usually do non-fiction work - very interesting!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When mixing I definetly prefer to have the general cloth track separated from cloth moves. In general I’m not a huge fan of a general cloth track as such. Yes it can still be useful especially for MNE but the way general cloth tracks are recorded gives zero separation and are often performed in a continuous fashion that I am not a fan of.
Never think that you can record the cloth track and just increase the intensity for a move or a sit down. It’s just not good enough.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmsound View Post
My question is, how loud or how hot should your mic pre amp be? i was about a foot away from the mic, is that to close?
Haven't done real foley in nearly 20 years.
My personal thoughts, and what I learned from Joe Sabella, levels should be close, maybe a little above mix level.
1 foot is too close to sound real, maybe 2 to 3 feet.
Thats all based on having a quiet mic and pre and quiet and treated room.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmsound View Post
i know it might depend on what your recording, but last night after reading the article day after i did some cloth foley at home on a small project.

Yes, a foot is a little bit too close. Once you start moving air around the mic it gets unusable just like ADR.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear