The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do I need to mix in Atmos(purely for personal use)?
Old 12th July 2020
Gear Nut

What do I need to mix in Atmos(purely for personal use)?

I have been mixing stems and multitracks in Audacity; 5.1 and 7.1 for years now. Purely to play in my home theater.

I have a few Atmos Blu rays and love the format, thus I was wondering how I can make some Atmos mixes? I have Marants 8012 AV receiver, windows 10, corei7 laptop. What software do I need and how?

cheers
Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

You're going to find this difficult. But just to paint a broad picture, you need to choose a compatible DAW (Pro Tools or Nuendo are great choices), and you need to either switch to Mac to run Dolby Atmos Production Suite, or buy another PC to run Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite (considerably more expensive than finding a Mac, for your purposes, don't do this). Second, I doubt your Marantz can be run as an audio interface, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I wish it was easier, but it isn't. If you're committed to the path, keep asking questions! Good luck.
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
You're going to find this difficult. But just to paint a broad picture, you need to choose a compatible DAW (Pro Tools or Nuendo are great choices), and you need to either switch to Mac to run Dolby Atmos Production Suite, or buy another PC to run Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite (considerably more expensive than finding a Mac, for your purposes, don't do this). Second, I doubt your Marantz can be run as an audio interface, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I wish it was easier, but it isn't. If you're committed to the path, keep asking questions! Good luck.
Dolby are not making it easy hey?
Not a chance I am doing all that. Just paid £550 for this laptop.
Real shame.
Old 18th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
Dolby are not making it easy hey?
Not a chance I am doing all that. Just paid £550 for this laptop.
Real shame.
Dolby is trying to make it easy for professionals, but it's a complex format with a lot of moving parts. I highly recommend that you check out DTS:X, Ambisonics, MPEG-H, etc. These are all competing formats that are a mixture of proprietary, license-free, and open source. I can't tell you which one would suit your needs, but they're worth trying and have serious people behind them.
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Head

With Dolby Atmos coming to some modern smartphones, Dolby should already be shipping consumer Atmos encoding software on any operating system. For example, AC3, EAC3 people can encode from third-party programs as well. Dolby Atmos is still not available. But this is a really amazing format!
📝 Reply