The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves WLM LM1 v EBU
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Waves WLM LM1 v EBU

Can anyone explain, beyond what it says in the manual, the difference between these two settings? When would I use one vs the other.. The manual says LM1 measures the program material overall, and EBU uses foreground audio.

My interpretation of this is that EBU uses the loudest sounds, like dialogue let's say, to get it's reading? I am primarily mixing podcasts, and a lot of them are highly produced with sound design and music.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that the EBU measurement uses a gate to decide what to measure. In other words, if you have sections of audio in your podcast that drop below -70LKFS it won't measure them against total loudness.

On things that are loud throughout (like most promos) this won't matter. Both the LM1 and EBU measurements will be more or less the same (within a few tenths of a dB). If you have really wide swings in loudness and some near silent sections the measurements could be different as the LM1 measurement will average that loudness into the overall and the EBU might gate out (stop measuring) when it gets to be to quiet.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMUSIC View Post
Can anyone explain, beyond what it says in the manual, the difference between these two settings? When would I use one vs the other.. The manual says LM1 measures the program material overall, and EBU uses foreground audio.

My interpretation of this is that EBU uses the loudest sounds, like dialogue let's say, to get it's reading? I am primarily mixing podcasts, and a lot of them are highly produced with sound design and music.
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that the EBU measurement uses a gate to decide what to measure. In other words, if you have sections of audio in your podcast that drop below -70LKFS it won't measure them against total loudness.

On things that are loud throughout (like most promos) this won't matter. Both the LM1 and EBU measurements will be more or less the same (within a few tenths of a dB). If you have really wide swings in loudness and some near silent sections the measurements could be different as the LM1 measurement will average that loudness into the overall and the EBU might gate out (stop measuring) when it gets to be to quiet.

Randall

interesting, thanks for that! Do other loudness meters have these options? EBU seems to be a term i see a lot, but LM1 i have only seen on the WLM.

I am mixing podcasts with consistent dialogue, but there are some pauses here and there
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Yes, pretty much all other loudness meters have this.

In the case of Waves, I believe that the LM1 is in reference to the DOlby LM-100. It seems to be measuring 1770-1 without Dialogue Gating (which on the WLM is the 'DIAL' setting).

1770-2/3 or 1770-4 are more common/current now.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMUSIC View Post
interesting, thanks for that! Do other loudness meters have these options? EBU seems to be a term i see a lot, but LM1 i have only seen on the WLM.

I am mixing podcasts with consistent dialogue, but there are some pauses here and there
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, pretty much all other loudness meters have this.

In the case of Waves, I believe that the LM1 is in reference to the DOlby LM-100. It seems to be measuring 1770-1 without Dialogue Gating (which on the WLM is the 'DIAL' setting).

1770-2/3 or 1770-4 are more common/current now.

Randall
Unless its Netflix!!!
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

True...Netflix measures dialogue (1770-1 with dialogue gating) as do we here at Starz. I think the WLM has a netflix preset. At this point most do (VisLM, Insight2...)

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Unless its Netflix!!!
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
True...Netflix measures dialogue (1770-1 with dialogue gating) as do we here at Starz. I think the WLM has a netflix preset. At this point most do (VisLM, Insight2...)

Randall

The "Netflix" preset on all the measuring plugs are actually using 1770.1 Dolby Media Meter code which does not do dialogue gating.

Im still using DMM for all my shows including Netflix.
Their QC reports exactly what I read.
📝 Reply