The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 8th July 2020
HD Native Thunderbolt

Morning,

I am trying to figure something out if getting an Avid Native Thunderbolt would be beneficial to my current setup. I am currently running a 2018 Mac Mini with thunderbolt adapter to my Focusrite Red 4pre. And After reading the manual it was saying that since over thunderbolt it caps on 32/32 I/O so that only lets me break into the dante's first two dante channels. And I would like to figure out and explore more with dante.

My reasoning of getting a thunderbolt card is trying to future proof my home setup. I am currently doing small 5.1 projects, editing and mixing 5.1 And would like to possibly run SM v5 pro over dante and get all 5.1 auditioning tracks from SM to PT over dante.

I want to see what other peoples say on this is. And I want to make reasonable understanding on if my thinking is wrong and dumb or smart. I am pretty happy with the things I have. I recently wanted to expand more of my understanding og dante and routing. So down the road, once I am on bigger projects. I will be able to help convey the story and less focused on the equipment I am using.

A small Home Studio of Mine.

Mac mini to Red 4pre Thunder Bolt
Mac Mini to network switch for dante
Red4 pre to network switch dante
AM2 to network switch dante (Headphone Monitor out to make my desk look cleaner and came with the red4 pre when I got it. And its my stereo Mix fold down monitoring.

red4 pre output
5.1 JBL LSR305 mkII and LSR310s

I need to get my Martin Sound back in line in my rig. But other than that I am making good work with what I have.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Unless I am mistaken, going to a HD Native setup will double your output to 64x64. You would hook up your Red4Pre via the digilink ports instead of using Core Audio.

If you are running sound miner on the same computer as Pro Tools, I would set up your template to use the multi channel ReWire. That should allow for the 5.1 monitoring of your sound effect library without having to use Dante.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmsound View Post
Morning,

I am trying to figure something out if getting an Avid Native Thunderbolt would be beneficial to my current setup. I am currently running a 2018 Mac Mini with thunderbolt adapter to my Focusrite Red 4pre. And After reading the manual it was saying that since over thunderbolt it caps on 32/32 I/O so that only lets me break into the dante's first two dante channels. And I would like to figure out and explore more with dante.

My reasoning of getting a thunderbolt card is trying to future proof my home setup. I am currently doing small 5.1 projects, editing and mixing 5.1 And would like to possibly run SM v5 pro over dante and get all 5.1 auditioning tracks from SM to PT over dante.

I want to see what other peoples say on this is. And I want to make reasonable understanding on if my thinking is wrong and dumb or smart. I am pretty happy with the things I have. I recently wanted to expand more of my understanding og dante and routing. So down the road, once I am on bigger projects. I will be able to help convey the story and less focused on the equipment I am using.

A small Home Studio of Mine.

Mac mini to Red 4pre Thunder Bolt
Mac Mini to network switch for dante
Red4 pre to network switch dante
AM2 to network switch dante (Headphone Monitor out to make my desk look cleaner and came with the red4 pre when I got it. And its my stereo Mix fold down monitoring.

red4 pre output
5.1 JBL LSR305 mkII and LSR310s

I need to get my Martin Sound back in line in my rig. But other than that I am making good work with what I have.
Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

You'd get full use of all the Red 4's capabilities with HDN in Pro Tools.
You will not be able to go beyond 64 channels of IO without going HDX.

I run a Red 16 Line with HDX in a 2019 Mac Pro and about to add an MTRX.
The reason is I hit the Dante limit in the Focusrite's (32 channels max) and I need to expand for more channels.
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
The reason is I hit the Dante limit in the Focusrite's (32 channels max) and I need to expand for more channels.
Why not go rednet 5? About 5k cheaper and 32 io over Dante.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Addict
Just to say that rewire with Soundminer V5 is not recommended . It doesn't play nice with the Radium sampler apparently.
Old 14th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Just to say that rewire with Soundminer V5 is not recommended . It doesn't play nice with the Radium sampler apparently.
What would you suggest if i wanted to run through my dante network?
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Sorry I actually don't have an answer for you I just wanted to let you know that info as it seemed to be relevant. Basically when you try to launch Radium when you are using using rewire, Soundminer tells you to turn off rewire as it has too much latency and cpu usage. It will not launch Radium untill you do. If you aren't going to use Radium that might not be a problem but I suspect you will want to.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Why not go rednet 5? About 5k cheaper and 32 io over Dante.
Not sample accurate for hardware inserts.

The MTRX can also act as a monitor controller and I can move to Dolby Atmos.
Better conversion too.
It should arrive tomorrow.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

If you have a license of Dante Virtual Sound Card, you should be able to set Sound miner's output to the DVS. You can then use the Dante Controller software to route that Dante audio into one of the MTRX Dante Ins. In DADMAN, you would then send this either directly to a monitor output or into a set of auxs in PT. I would just route it to an out myself.

Randall

Quote:
Old 17th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
If you have a license of Dante Virtual Sound Card, you should be able to set Sound miner's output to the DVS. You can then use the Dante Controller software to route that Dante audio into one of the MTRX Dante Ins. In DADMAN, you would then send this either directly to a monitor output or into a set of auxs in PT. I would just route it to an out myself.

Randall
I only have my focusrite red 4 pre. I dont have a dadman or MTRX
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry, must have confused this with someone else.

The Red4PRe is still a DANTE interface, so you would route into it the same way with the Dante COntrol Software. At that point you would either bring it into Pro Tools via an AUX (like the RX Control Software) or you can use the RedNet Control to decide if that DANTE signal is going straight to your monitoring chain or back into Pro Tools.

Randall

Quote:
I only have my focusrite red 4 pre. I dont have a dadman or MTRX
📝 Reply