The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Foley Pit: Solid vs Hollow Wood Surface
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head

Foley Pit: Solid vs Hollow Wood Surface

I'm building a DIY Foley pit for a hardwood floor and am wondering how to build it so that it sounds solid rather than hollow. From pictures of pro Foley studios, it's difficult to tell what the wood surfaces are made of and what they are laid on. My guess is the hollow wood surfaces consist of planks laid across the top of the pit with nothing underneath, while the solid ones are laid directly on top of concrete...? Or are the planks laid across an open pit but secured to each other somehow underneath. I haven't been able to find directions for laying wood surfaces and I'm no construction guru!

My first priority is to get the wood sounding solid. Having said that, I'm limited for space, so it would be great if I could achieve this in a versatile way as well, say, without having to actually secure the planks onto the pit so I could re-use the pit if needed.

Bonus question: what type of plank works for this? Would laminate or this thin wood planks be enough or do I need some kind of thick solid oak? I'm not matching to picture, it's just a generic and versatile hardwood floor sound.
Old 6th July 2020
Fill the space below the wooden floor with sand. Good solid foundation and will make the floor sound "solid". If loading is a problem use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite, available at most garden centers. FWIW
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

For solid wood we use a decommissioned heavy studio door.
Put it on the carpet and Bob's your uncle.
It has just enough resonance that sounds better than a plank of wood.

I also use a solid coffee table that I took the legs off. This one sounds more like a n older house. We can stuff the bottom with padding to make it more solid if need be.
Old 12th July 2020
Here for the gear

I would build this like a real parquet floor. Most important thing to make it sound solid is to glue the wood to a foundation.
So I would do floor screed -> parquet glue -> wood.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear