The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Covid-19 Poll: Do you still think monthly subscription's are good?
View Poll Results: Monthly Subscription During Covid Pandemic
Will continue to pay monthly
1 Votes - 6.67%
Stopped paying monthly
1 Votes - 6.67%
Suspended my subscription until work picks up
0 Votes - 0%
Using perpetual
13 Votes - 86.67%
Considering perpetual
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Head

Covid-19 Poll: Do you still think monthly subscription's are good?

Hello,

With the on-going Covid-19 situation and a lot of people in the industry out of work, I thought I'd start a poll to see what the general consensus is when it comes to paying for monthly subscriptions over perpetual licence.

I've been banging on for years about how much I hate monthly subscriptions and will always buy the perpetual licence when I can.

Do you still like the idea of paying a monthly subscription with no guarantee of when the next pay check will be coming in?

I'm currently using Pro Tools 12.5.2 Perpetual and am so happy I didn't surrender this licence.
Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Guru

I would participate but I don't find a suitable option.

I have Nuendo at home and if I had bought PT then I'd be stuck with that cost. Ditto if I had subscribed and paid up front for a year seeing that I ended up not needing to use PT for several months. From my perspective month-by-month subscription is perfect since I can do most of the work I get in Nuendo, which I own, and then if someone requires PT I'll just buy that a month at a time. Perfect solution for me.
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear
We get used to respond to great products/services. Instead of getting excited and pre-emptively signing up for services, taking these steps will ensure you’ll be able to gauge whether they are worth the expense. Doing some research ahead of time, looking at the right info, and asking the right questions can help you make the best choice for you.
  • Figure out how much you’ve spent this year.
  • Figure out which subscription plan is the best fit
  • Ask yourself how much value it has in your life

Even if a service is a good value, it's not worth buying if you don't have room in your budget.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

I never thought monthly subscriptions were good.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Addict

With my Pro Tools I am not under a subscription model. I have the perpetual. I use 12.5 also.

But I did recently do the Plugin Alliance Subscription for plugins. I am monthly with it so I can start or stop anytime. I don't mind the subscription for that.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

I pay yearly for my PTHD subscription. All of my other plugins (SSL, Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, NI, Eventide) I own outright.

I just don't like the monthly model.
📝 Reply