The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Atmos active speaker package deals?
Old 1st July 2020
Atmos active speaker package deals?

Hi, I'm hitting a wall with Google due to the deluge of home cinema packages. Does anyone know if there are any specific deals by any of the 'standard' manufacturers (JBL/Genelec etc.) for pre-packaged Atmos monitoring deals in the smaller 2-way active end of the market? I'm surprised I can't find a JBL Intonato-based LSRwhatever deal.

I realise that most systems will usually involve a lot of design and customisation, but I'm looking for a small rig that could potentially be redeployed in a couple of different locations, which is why I'm interested if there's any special offers. Thanks!
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

You need to match your speakers to your room. Dolby requires 105 spl at the listening position . You need to find speakers that can hit that level in your room. Use the dart to figure out if the speakers you want to buy work at the distance you need.

Jbl 708 bass managed do 105 at about 10 feet. So good for smaller rooms.. For example you could do 708 lcr, 705 all surrounds and a big sub woofer like a jbl sub18. Intonato has the eq for it so just buy matching analogue amps.
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

If you want a small room setup, look at Avid's touring demo setup. The used a JBL system as described by Brandon. They also used a Genelec system. Those are the only two systems I know they have used for trade shows in the US and Europe. I know some dealers in the US have "pre-configured" systems but that doesn't really help you in the UK. But I'd imagine UK dealers who cater to the same market (cinema/post-production) will have a go-to setup for small rooms as a package deal.
Old 1st July 2020
Thanks for the replies, I'd love to match them to my room, but that's all a bit up in the air and the setups will be ad-hoc - not ideal I know. I'm glad I'm not missing a trick and that there isn't some 'off the shelf bargain' somewhere. I think it makes a lot of sense to go all-JBL if using the Intonato.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Have you looked at:
http://abluesky.com/products/prodesk-5-1/
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Unfortunately these Blue Sky systems have not been made for several years now.
Old 7th July 2020
mrc
Lives for gear
are you looking for 105 dB capable speakers down to 40 hz?
I'm asking this since it's a bit unclear for me what speakers one is allowed to use when going for the accreditation.
From what I've read, ideally the speakers should produce 105 dB flat to 40 hz, but they also allow for bass management. If you're allowed to take away the bottom octave from the speakers and feed it to the sub it changes everything.
Also, i'm not sure if you really need to go for the 85 db calibration for home entertainment.
As for your original question, i've had the same problem but it seems like there is no atmos bundle on the market.
If you're after really capable speakers for a bigger room, you might also consider working with a speaker designer and go the diy route.
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

The info with 105db is not correct, as you are not required to go for 85db calibration for home theater certification. You can also go for 79 which means 99db spl at the listening position.

If you want the certification just get the excel spreadsheet from Dolby, enter your room values and see which speakers show up green.
📝 Reply