The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did the World just stopped caring about good Audio?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Did the World just stopped caring about good Audio?

With every production and semi pro podcast having to be shot in poeples houses...

Seems like they just have the iPhone mics and thats it. Not a clip on mic, or a proper mic nearby.. nothing... just the echo from the room and lo fi mic capture.

From Late night shows and so many podcast... soooo many...

And no one seems to be complaining or mention it in the comments... everyone just seemed to accept it ... pandemic and such.

yeah its a little cumbersome to do proper audio... but these shows have audio guys that can help remotly . have youtube videos showing how to do it.. even with cheopo amazon setups...

Could be the simple reason that new phones with exelent video camera does not have a hook up for a 3.5mm mic input that used to be so convenient. and bluetooth mics suck from what i gathered.

Joe rogan and folks already doing more of the radio podcast thing still made it work or understand the importance of audio. otherwise poeple rather ditch good audio troubleshooting and gain a mic free environment.
Making it Zoom video is all good and understandable... for profesional shows.

And if everyone is enjoying the shows like this... did we need good audio to begin with? or care sOOO much about good audio?
to me its very off-putting watching these shows w terrible audio...

Just bitching... not tryig to find a why or a solution.. just an observation.

If any podcasters here then i suggest making a video about a quick guide to good audio for podcasts and home tv shows... have a good amazon affiliate link... and bamm. get some good money.
Old 6 days ago
I live in a college town. Before the pandemic I saw students walking with others, a single earbud in their one ear, a cell phone glued to their other ear and talking with friends. Do they care about "good quality audio" I kinda doubt it. People go to COSTCO or Best Buys and plunk down a lot of money for a giant screen HD 4K TV and then buy some $99 "sound bar" for their audio. Do they care about "good quality audio" I kinda doubt it. My mastering clients are listening to my "refs" on two inch Macbook speakers and making decisions on the mastering. Do they care about "good quality audio" they should but using their Macbook for a standard says reams about their need for "good quality audio". Why should TV sound be any different??? The average person will complain bitterly about poor video quality but be content with terrible audio. It is just how things are at present. FWIW
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Among the many many changes that have fallen on us in the last few months is one item that has NOT changed, and that is the need to educate clients about what quality audio is and why it is important. I have the same number of these conversations that I had before the virus, but the stakes are higher now since often the piece we're making is the ONLY output this artist or org. has right at the moment. That is part of my argument. Another part of it, as usual, is that while many people and orgs are satisfied with low quality audio, many of my clients competitors have made real efforts to bring good sound to their audience, especially when that audience is being asked to PAY for seeing the program we're making or the piece is representing the org. in an international level. Performing arts orgs., currently shut down but trying very hard to figure out their near future will face a much more competitive environment when live shows start up again--loss of venues, audiences that have drifted away, residual fears about attending a theatre, huge additional debt to manage and so on, so what they produce NOW is what is going to get them real gigs in the future, and those pieces need to sound as good as we can make them sound thus.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

There is still some "good audio" happening in the world. But, there is also a flood of "bad audio".
Some of the "at home" video productions I've seen and heard since the "pandemic lockdown" have been pitifully embarrassing, or should be, to the musicians and singers who made them, regardless of how big a "star" they might be (or might have been, prior to the pandemic).

In their defense I guess, the level of disruption to all areas of life being caused by current circumstances was unforeseen by almost all, and has proven to be a bigger challenge than many could have imagined, only a few short months ago. (I confess, I did see it coming, and am not surprised by any of it, unfortunately.)

What I am hoping is that the trend toward lower-quaity audio will slow, or ideally reverse, as people once again begin turning to recorded music for a pleasurable at-home listening experience. "Hope" is a long way from reality though, I realize.

Some of us have always listened to music that way, and speaking for those of us lucky enough to live through the 60's, 70's, and 80's, the greatest period in the history of recorded music IMHO, back then many if not most of us listened to music that way, i.e. at the highest quality we could obtain, and when we listened, we listened intently, deeply, and fully.

Of course, I don't expect we will ever see the "universal" appreciation for high quality audio that was extant back then, but any improvement in the current situation would be a step in the right direction. As such, I do believe there is value in pursuing high quality in your music-making and production efforts. IMHO. Good luck.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It's the smiley curve of audio life today: low end productions - nothing - high end productions.
That smiley curve is found everywhere by the way, housing, politics, the economy
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Even certain networks accept lower fidelity in these times.
I have a show completed before the shut down, but the network demanded certain lines be replaced.
I get iPhone ADR in a closet. Nothing can be done to fix it.
QC passed them!!!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

We are all just trying to stay employed anyway we can. If that means mixing a show that was recorded on an iPhone, I do it and do the best I can with it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Even certain networks accept lower fidelity in these times.
I have a show completed before the shut down, but the network demanded certain lines be replaced.
I get iPhone ADR in a closet. Nothing can be done to fix it.
QC passed them!!!

its just wierd. i mean, shows like conan, daily show, late night etc...
these poeple can easily get better equipment and setups.

worse is that seth mcfarlen variety show from peacock tv.. that guy in an adr studio almost all day for years.. has tons of money.. and cannot get a better
mic setup?

all of these sound like its a mic on the camera and thats it. right? i could be wrong.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

On a positive note, I am enjoying "Amazon HD" music streaming, far better sounding than mp3 etc. IMHO. Using a Radial BT Pro V2 to play back through my system. Working like a charm. So there is still a niche for high quality audio in the world. I hardly ever, almost never, watch TV anyway, except for streaming concerts on youtube etc.
Besides inconsistent audio, the problem with TV is that it represents so much of what's wrong in the world; and, with "social distancing" and such, there are less opportunities to counteract or balance all the "insanity" that TV does so well with periods of what used to be "normal" social interaction with real live people in person. Not healthy IMHO to let TV occupy a larger role in society. Has turned out to be a very harmful and destructive invention, despite the best intentions of its inventor. (BTW, anybody ever get taught in school who invented television? Ever wonder why not? That's a topic for another discussion, I'm already pretty far OT here...)
Anyway, I'll stick to music, especially in high res. YMMV. Good luck.
Old 3 days ago
Geez I dunno man. If it's podcasters and youtubers you're talking about, I don't see so many with iphones or whatever...I see stacks of people even at the low end of the popularity scale with 39 subscribers or 60 subs and they're rigged up with pop shields, huge condenser mics on massive swiveling boom arms, Sony camera rigs, Canon, lapels, flashing lights...you name it.

It all sounds the same on a laptop anyway, so who cares I suppose.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Among the many many changes that have fallen on us in the last few months is one item that has NOT changed, and that is the need to educate clients about what quality audio is and why it is important.
This is the inherent problem right here. People don't know what quality audio actually is. We have younger people who have never heard live concerts of acoustics music, perhaps have never heard any audio that hasn't been perceptually encoded. The folks distributing audio aren't helping; when I started out you would see a Fisher receiver and maybe a KLH turntable and a couple AR speakers set up in the office of the label A&R guys... now I think they listen to everything on cheap computer speakers or earbuds (the few A&R guys that still exist that is).
--scott
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
This is the inherent problem right here. People don't know what quality audio actually is. We have younger people who have never heard live concerts of acoustics music, perhaps have never heard any audio that hasn't been perceptually encoded. The folks distributing audio aren't helping; when I started out you would see a Fisher receiver and maybe a KLH turntable and a couple AR speakers set up in the office of the label A&R guys... now I think they listen to everything on cheap computer speakers or earbuds (the few A&R guys that still exist that is).
--scott
So true.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I take note of how things sound on the remote talking heads zoom and WebEx casts - people sitting in corners and worse, with their backs against reflective walls almost guaranteeing a festival of comb filtering as differing delayed and direct audio times crash into the mic together, nulling and reinforcing some frequencies, smearing others. It’s heard as a tinny hollow sound.

Perhaps sound techs on the shows have sent them basic guidelines, but as per the op’s question, it’s likely not an issue of caring, but rather ignorance.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I take note of how things sound on the remote talking heads zoom and WebEx casts - people sitting in corners and worse, with their backs against reflective walls almost guaranteeing a festival of comb filtering as differing delayed and direct audio times crash into the mic together, nulling and reinforcing some frequencies, smearing others. It’s heard as a tinny hollow sound.

Perhaps sound techs on the shows have sent them basic guidelines, but as per the op’s question, it’s likely not an issue of caring, but rather ignorance.
im guessing poeple that been doing it for a while like joe rogan will easily just get close to a mike thats the shows format.

but ive seen many radio DJs or podcasters that used to do that format in a studio and on the house podcast they are on a sofa laying back or have a mic in the middle of an empt-ish room.
they have to know... and but not care that much?

could it be that there is still no easy standard solution? everyone just grabs their smartphone.. but now that apple and samsung/google decided no more headphones /mic those clip on mics sold in amazon for low prices are not available and blue tooth mics are not the best..to say the least.. in terms of sound and connectivity.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear