The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did the World just stopped caring about good Audio?
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
When I started out, corporate training stuff was mixed in a small dubbing stage, maybe 250 to 500 square feet, over wide range monitors from mag tracks that frequently included a small live orchestra playing the musical cues, narrator, dialogue, and effects tracks, and sometimes even real foley.

I remember working on a film that started out with a long shot of a military funeral... slow sad orchestral background throughout (music roll A only)... rifle salute (rifle shots on effects roll A, walla on effects roll B). The camera turns, trucks in toward the funeral party. Close up of the young widow from above. She pulls back her veil and looks up at the camera as the French horns play... looks up and says "If only he'd checked his density altitude!" Cut to a shot of the grave. Music tapers down and we fade to a studio cyclorama with a narrator in front talking about density altitude.

Corporate training stuff hasn't been "pretty good quality" for years.
--scott
Not true around here, mon ami. Work that I've been a part of for the Big Corps, esp tech co.s like Apple, Cisco, Google, Facebook, Oracle, LinkedIn, Salesforce and so on have been first class all the way, esp when a Big Guy or Big Gal is part of the show. Then money is kind of no object, we get all the high-end crew and boffo gear we need, post is a hugely elaborate affair and the results look and sound Hollywood-great. All that is paused for now, but that part of the biz will come back when it can because those folks really like staging their own spectacles.

Last edited by philper; 16th July 2020 at 04:53 PM..
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Not true around here, mon ami. Work that I've been a part of for the Big Corps, esp tech co.s like Apple, Cisco, Google, Facebook, Oracle, LinkedIn, Salesforce and so on have been first class all the way, esp when a Big Guy or Big Gal is part of the show. Then money is kind of no object, we get all the high-end crew and boffo gear we need, post is a hugely elaborate affair and the results look and sound Hollywood-great. All that is paused for now, but that part of the biz will come back when it can because those folks really like staging their own spectacles.
This is true for my work. Money gets spent. Quality is way up from years ago. Until this year.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

So zoom came out with a $600 monitor zoom meeting device...

yet.. no way of capturing the audio in WAV.

https://youtu.be/lZHSAMd89JE

and the idea imo, would be capture your side of the audio in a good quality and share so the other person in the podcast can drag it into their timeline of their video editing session. since a lot of these zoom calls are used for youtube and even TV, this would inprove a lot the sound. Besides close mic, etc.

and im sure this lady got a ton of hits in 2020 from her 2017 tutorial of this same issue

Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
So zoom came out with a $600 monitor zoom meeting device...

yet.. no way of capturing the audio in WAV.
edit
Well, capturing Zoom audio as WAV would be a big waste of time, since the damage comes in the way they carrry the audio in Zoom. 32 bit, something proprietary that gets saved as mp4.

I produce podcasts for a client who insists on using Zoom, even though we are doing audio only at this time. I record to my computer, and use Izotope RX to convert the 32bit m4a to 44.1 WAV, then EQ and edit in Pro Tools.

For a radio client I have, we have tried several ways to record, and so far the best is Zencastr, which records to separate tracks of 16 bit 44.1 WAV (as long as the remote guest will keep the app onen long enough for it to convert to WAV omn the cloud. Sounds pretty good! There are several different recording apps out there...

As always, the most important variable is both parties haveing the best mic they can understand how to use, and a good quiet room is equally important. A USB lav is usually good enough, or earbuds with mic, and some use Yeti type USB mics. AirPods are awful, latency and distant mic position they have.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

You can already capture your own hifi audio in a Zoom meeting by routing the audio from to another app and recording it there.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
You can already capture your own hifi audio in a Zoom meeting by routing the audio from to another app and recording it there.
But that doesn't stop the fuzzes and distortions from the transmission... Does it?
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

I think he is saying that you record the high quality audio first and send the output of that to zoom.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
But that doesn't stop the fuzzes and distortions from the transmission... Does it?
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I think he is saying that you record the high quality audio first and send the output of that to zoom.

Randall
Well, that is completely opposite of recording live zoom conversations, which is what I was talking about.

And send good audio, fine, but what comes out the other end of Zoom is not so good.

L
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

You can feed Zoom from another audio input than the built in mic if you enable it in the system prefs. The local audio can be recorded to something besides Zoom. The remote person does the same--records themselves via a 2nd app or system, and sends you that file. You just use Zoom for communications. Feeding Zoom audio from a DAW in it "use original audio" mode makes for a decent feed if everyone's web service is fast and good. If that isn't true then no streaming app will help you.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

I find Zencastr does all that without requiring an audio engineer on the other end. When my radio host is interviewing authors or other civilians, ease of use is essential!
📝 Reply