The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 Channel Interleave (SMPTE order)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

8 Channel Interleave (SMPTE order)

Been playing with the new interleave bounce to single file feature lately. Wanted to wrap a 5.1 / 20 into an 8 channel polywav in SMPTE order. The new feature allows you to order your bounce interleave order, which I'm assuming will allow me to bounce files to mono, and, order them in the order I choose.

I've got a 5.1 and a 2.0 print stem track for final in-the-box recording. I'm adding another 2 aux channels with the same inputs as the print stem tracks and sending the outputs of those aux tracks to a new 5.1 and 2.0 bus with sub paths set to mono breakouts (normal 5.1 sub path breakout), same for the 2.0

Then, I'm creating 8 mono aux tracks and choosing the input of each as a sub path of the 5.1 or 2.0, essentially giving me 8 mono aux tracks with all the final stem sub paths broken out.

I then highlight the final length of video and bounce those mono auxes in an 8 channel SMPTE order.

I do indeed get an 8 channel bounce. I bring that back into pro tools and the system auto splits the the file into a 5.1 and 20 audio track - good so far. The 5.1 track appears to be in SMPTE order which is good, but, there appears to be extra amplitude in the tracks, more so in the right and LFE tracks. It's noticeable. I'm not confusing the tracks, they're obvious as to what channel they contain but if I bring in a normal 5.1 audio bounce and reorder the tracks to a smpte format and look at them side by side, they look different.

Super confusing. Anyone seen this issue or know of a better way using this system to interleave like this?

Last edited by mikevarela; 1 week ago at 06:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A friendly suggestion is to test it properly and explain what happens in detail yourself first.

Record tone at a known dbfs level, and a channel description/ident on each channel. Export and import and split and check levels. If they are identified correctly and the levels are the same it may only be a graphical issue. If the levels indeed are changing then it’s definitely a real problem. If the playback level changes but the split levels are correct I would then Guess it’s a routing/panning/panning law issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds complicated. I knocked out my final playout session in three minutes in Reaper. I use that for normalization and Netflix 8-channel files. Feel free to check it out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhsterr6gl...6-8ch.zip?dl=0 (33kB) . Good grief, PT seems complex for this task.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

In PT you can offline bounce multiple busses into one interleaved ADM BWAV. No need for extra tools.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Im not sure, are you printing stems first??

Ive had too many problems using virtual busses.
I have no issues using a 5.1 output, and 2.0 output of recorded stems.
Even offline bounce.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Why all the re-bussing and ordering? It should be in the correct order just by bouncing your stems as is.

PT will display in Film order on a 5.1 track even if the file is SMPTE order. Quickest way to check your file is to open it in RX. It will display the channels as ordered in the file, no matter how they’re stamped. Bring the 8 channel file in and check it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Why all the re-bussing and ordering? It should be in the correct order just by bouncing your stems as is.

PT will display in Film order on a 5.1 track even if the file is SMPTE order. Quickest way to check your file is to open it in RX. It will display the channels as ordered in the file, no matter how they’re stamped. Bring the 8 channel file in and check it.
Yes but delivering multiple mixes in one interleaved file (5.1 plus 2.0) and each in correct track order wasn't easy. ADM BWAV makes that easy and ADM BWAV is NF's main format now anyway. Many people think ADM is only for Dolby Atmos but it's totally scalable and an open ITU standard. Glad PT adopted this very early.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

There is a nice free software Wave Agent from Sound Devices.

You can import 8 mono files and prepare 1 poly in a channel order you need.

Perhaps this is a solution.

Kuba
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Why are people making this complicated? Here's a basic test with Pro Tools and the report out of WaveAgent (which can be confirmed with the blips)
Here's the setup:

Here's the report on the resulting single file:

Presto, change-o. One quick step does what is necessary. No need for anything else to create a polywav with the right order and all files combined interleaved.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

RX7 Advanced with multichannel setup now does not just display order. It reads or interprets the header of the file and will see a 8 channel file as a 7.1 (mis-attributing the stereo as part of the surround set and re-ordering SMPTE to display Film depending on your preferences in RX7 Advanced). So not a good test anymore.

But WaveAgent reads the file order as it is in the file. And as you can see it sees SMPTE followed by Stereo.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Presto, change-o. One quick step does what is necessary. No need for anything else to create a polywav with the right order and all files combined interleaved.
This was what I was getting at (without the visual). Just bounce your print tracks as a multi-stem bounce and it will be in the correct order. You can’t choose anything other than SMPTE.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear