The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Budget remote mixing (ie Zoom)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Budget remote mixing (ie Zoom)

Like everyone in the entire audio world I've been looking into what's possible for remote mix sessions, ie not just a screening but one in which work would be done under the direction of a remote client. (So stop-start playback, not just a straight-thru showing of a whole project.) I've run through what I think are the high end options, and they aren't in the cards for me right now. After a lot of testing I've gotten Zoom to work, albeit with some little participation and patience from the person on the other end. Other apps like Jitsi, OBS and StreamOBS have not worked well here. So what's the best middle ground? I don't need anything beyond 1080p and good stereo audio, but whatever the quality is it has to play in sync, reliably. Chat, messaging etc not needed, we can more easily talk via a conference phone call and just use the streaming app for a one-way send of picture and sound. I should add that many of my people do not have great internet service. I'd appreciate any suggestions-thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am using "Evercast" and it works the best in the price range. I just did an ADR session with India and we all loved it. 1080P video streaming from "The Dub Stage" via a Chrome Browser, in sync along with good Stereo sound and an interface that is similar to ZOOM with each person on screen to see and communicate. It doesn't crash and it's a flat monthly fee for all you can use. These days it's important to be flexible and be up and running. Once clients use it they love it.
https://www.evercast.us/

Not cheap, but it fills the need in a Professional Sound environment that allows me to mix , adjust and fix with clients elsewhere.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
I am using "Evercast" and it works the best in the price range. I just did an ADR session with India and we all loved it. 1080P video streaming from "The Dub Stage" via a Chrome Browser, in sync along with good Stereo sound and an interface that is similar to ZOOM with each person on screen to see and communicate. It doesn't crash and it's a flat monthly fee for all you can use. These days it's important to be flexible and be up and running. Once clients use it they love it.

Not cheap, but it fills the need in a Professional Sound environment that allows me to mix , adjust and fix with clients elsewhere.
Thanks Dr. Evercast looks great and is what I figured a facility like The Dub Stage would have. For me it falls into the "beyond the budget" category, thus my search for something better than Zoom but not as expensive as Evercast...!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have used evercast for remote client approval of mix sessions. Like Marti said, good, but you pay for it.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Thanks Dr. Evercast looks great and is what I figured a facility like The Dub Stage would have. For me it falls into the "beyond the budget" category, thus my search for something better than Zoom but not as expensive as Evercast...!
SessionLink Pro is an alternative to Evercast. I found it not as stable, but you might have a different experience.

Source Connect Pro can also work. There is a latency between client and remote side that can sometimes cause an issue when making changes.

Randall
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have read about using Zoom for the video, checking the info section for reported video latency, and using Audiomovers Listento to stream the audio from an insert plugin to a browser. It allows for codec settings and adjustable latency (in steps), to sync it up with the video.
Maybe worth a try.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's how I break down the costs for Evercast...
IF you are working 40 hours a week x 4 weeks a month it comes down
to $6.25 an hour. If you are busy then it really makes sense.
Also if your clients aren't coming to sit in the mix at one facility then you save by
Not Buying:
Coffee
Soft Drinks
Food ( Breakfast/ Lunch)
Not Parking Cars or paying for parking

The other examples of remote mixing while cheaper are
NOT Robust
NOT in Sync
NOT a Good Picture

You can go Monthly on Evercast and then stop for a week, a month or 2 or...
without being penalized.

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT'S THE BEST VALUE!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The monthly thing sounds good re Evercast. I'd have to see if the setup costs are a pay-once thing, and if you drop the subscription and come back they don't want to charge for all that again.... I agree that sometimes it is better to not offer a service at all if it can't be really good and /or what is expected...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another lower budget option is Slingbox. You buy the box, (around $600 USD but one-time), you hook it up to your computer (you'll need to get an adapter box to get from your video feed into the Slingbox), you launch the website, then invite your client to the feed. The latency is anywhere from 4-6-8 seconds depending on distance (yes, I know, a lot, but it is not $1K per month). Quality is good. Sync is usually good. Then you need to have a way to chat/communicate. Phone, Skype, Messaging.

With Skype, you can share screens. Then they can see the video. And you'll need to sort out the audio feed to Skype (with like Source Nexus).

Source Live is just too expensive for how dodgy it is and the latency is killer EVEN in low latency mode.

Again, not as elegant as Evercast, but cheaper. If money is really the issue, then try Skype screenshare or Slingbox. Not high-end, but I had a TV client who was more than satisfied with Slingbox.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The monthly thing sounds good re Evercast. I'd have to see if the setup costs are a pay-once thing, and if you drop the subscription and come back they don't want to charge for all that again....
This is another knock against Source Live -- if you cancel (pause), you have to pay the Setup AGAIN.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well you can get
Quote:
Robust in Sync a Good Picture
for cheapish.
But then you will have to spend quite some time to figure it out and help clients set it up (first time only)

Our tech setup a hdmi splitter and I send both audio and video to the hdmi output (as well as to my monitors of course).
A hdmi capture unit connected to a older Mac mini we had laying around that uses OBS to create a secure encrypted srt stream (VLC has to be used as a client on Mac).
Secure, Good quality picture, sound in sync (but not super simple to get there, stable when we did).

So yes it is possible, but I would not have tried to do it myself as I can’t spend that type of time on testing, but fortunately my tech really liked the concept and could find the time. We then use zoom for communication.

Latency around 2-2.5 secs on the stream. Without encryption you can get lower but that was not an option in our use case.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The monthly thing sounds good re Evercast. I'd have to see if the setup costs are a pay-once thing, and if you drop the subscription and come back they don't want to charge for all that again.... I agree that sometimes it is better to not offer a service at all if it can't be really good and /or what is expected...
Check your PM.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Well you can get for cheapish.
But then you will have to spend quite some time to figure it out and help clients set it up (first time only)

Our tech setup a hdmi splitter and I send both audio and video to the hdmi output (as well as to my monitors of course).
A hdmi capture unit connected to a older Mac mini we had laying around that uses OBS to create a secure encrypted srt stream (VLC has to be used as a client on Mac).
Secure, Good quality picture, sound in sync (but not super simple to get there, stable when we did).

So yes it is possible, but I would not have tried to do it myself as I can’t spend that type of time on testing, but fortunately my tech really liked the concept and could find the time. We then use zoom for communication.

Latency around 2-2.5 secs on the stream. Without encryption you can get lower but that was not an option in our use case.
How do you get your stream from obs to vlc? You need a server in between, right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
How do you get your stream from obs to vlc? You need a server in between, right?
Yes there is a server as well. I forgot about that.
Again not easy or trivial for a non-network-tech-nerd but still possible.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Yes there is a server as well. I forgot about that.
Again not easy or trivial for a non-network-tech-nerd but still possible.
I just set up a similar system. My virtual server also sends a web link like Evercast or Clearview. If you ask me, both of the above are way over priced
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This has been the bane of my existence since ages ago.
99% of my ADR sessions are remotely directed from L.A, Toronto, London etc.
Usually they are with other SC studios, but now it's all Zoom.

I've been researching this area for a few years now and have a solid proposition (and knowhow) for a product/service that would deliver the goods.

To me the pricing model of current services are all wrong too.
It should be usage based as well as a small subscription fee to keep the account alive.
Say, you buy a pack of minutes or hours and then top it up as you use them.
Easily chargeable to the client per session.

Now I need tangible commitment from potential customers to make this happen!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you are going to create a Remote Aproval Platform
that is ala carte it must be developed with these ideas in mind..
Sound and Picture must be high quality and in sync.
It must have the capabilities of Stereo, 5.1,7.1 and Dolby Atmos Home Theater
It must be secure
It must be able to be played back via a simple browser or the like

Now get all the above done and make it reliable, rock solid and priced at the sweet spot of profit and affordability then you will succeed.
Good Luck and keep me in mind for your beta!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
This has been the bane of my existence since ages ago.
99% of my ADR sessions are remotely directed from L.A, Toronto, London etc.
Usually they are with other SC studios, but now it's all Zoom.

I've been researching this area for a few years now and have a solid proposition (and knowhow) for a product/service that would deliver the goods.

To me the pricing model of current services are all wrong too.
It should be usage based as well as a small subscription fee to keep the account alive.
Say, you buy a pack of minutes or hours and then top it up as you use them.
Easily chargeable to the client per session.

Now I need tangible commitment from potential customers to make this happen!
Zoom is here to stay in this biz. It's widely popular since it is easy to use and pretty unfussy for a nontechnical person working from home with no tech support. If you can make an app that can be as easy for the client to use as Zoom, does not require a large upfront investment by me, has reliable (and easily adjustable) pic-sound sync, will run on either PC or Mac (and, very important, not just the latest greatest OS on both platforms) as well as tablets, has some kind of subscription+"as-used" payment model and reasonable tech support then I am all in. I hope you do this--this would be the moment for such an app!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Source_Connect just sent out an email announcing a 20% discount for CAS members....
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear