The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing and Delivering Atmos in Pyramix?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mixing and Delivering Atmos in Pyramix?

Hi slutzs,

Firsly I apologize if this is already discussed here, but I haven't found my answer.

I'm seeing lots of people here are using the Dolby Atmos Production Suite for mixing in Atmos.

My studio is PC based because the main DAW we use is Pyramix. We do have the ProTools system as well. And we are stepping into Atmos recently.
I found that the DAPS is Mac only. I'm wondering if there is anything that the DAPS can do and Pyramix cannot? I know I can make Atmos mixes in Pyramix, but does DAPS have a special delivering format? What kind of format do clients usually require for Atmos nowadays? I'm not sure if I have to invest a new Mac for Atmos gigs.

Please also share your thought on Pyramix for post/Atmos workflow.

Thanks in advance if anyone would like to talk about it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburgh View Post
Hi slutzs,

Firsly I apologize if this is already discussed here, but I haven't found my answer.

I'm seeing lots of people here are using the Dolby Atmos Production Suite for mixing in Atmos.

My studio is PC based because the main DAW we use is Pyramix. We do have the ProTools system as well. And we are stepping into Atmos recently.
I found that the DAPS is Mac only. I'm wondering if there is anything that the DAPS can do and Pyramix cannot? I know I can make Atmos mixes in Pyramix, but does DAPS have a special delivering format? What kind of format do clients usually require for Atmos nowadays? I'm not sure if I have to invest a new Mac for Atmos gigs.

Please also share your thought on Pyramix for post/Atmos workflow.

Thanks in advance if anyone would like to talk about it.
First question is, does pyramix support Atmos. Not 7.1.4 but Atmos. You DAW needs to transmit metadate to the renderer. If you can't connect to the renderer, you can't deliver the pan info to the renderer to embed in the Atmos file.

All that being asked, you can just get the mastering suite. The RMU runs on windows or macOS. dAPS is Mac only tho so you will need the full mastering suite.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
First question is, does pyramix support Atmos. Not 7.1.4 but Atmos. You DAW needs to transmit metadate to the renderer. If you can't connect to the renderer, you can't deliver the pan info to the renderer to embed in the Atmos file.

All that being asked, you can just get the mastering suite. The RMU runs on windows or macOS. dAPS is Mac only tho so you will need the full mastering suite.
Thanks for your input bro. Sounds good, the mastering suite should be fine. It's easier than building a whole Mac system.
I'm a little confused about the rendering in Pyramix though. I have done some experiment on mixing Atmosphere and other immersive formats in Pyramix. But if it cannot render the final Atmos file, what is the purpose of including it in a DAW since we can't deliver it to clients?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quickly looking at the manual, you can export ADM files, which in turn can be imported into the dolby renderer.
It does not seem to talk to the dolby renderer directly. But I could be wrong of course.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not using Pyramix since V7 but there´s no way you can use it with the DAPS which only runs on MAC. Although Pyramix recent versions support ADM files and immersive formats channel configurations, you´ll need to have the Dolby Mastering Suite installed on another machine (PC or MAC) with a physical interface of 128 channels plus timecode to connect it to your Pyramix machine via its interface, meaning that we´re talking Dante or MADI here. It´s what Dolby calls an RMU (rendering mastering unit)

ADM file does not mean Atmos per se, Audio Definition Model files apply to other immersive formats as well, like MPEG H etc.

If you want Atmos with Pyramix, I thing it´s the only way for now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Not using Pyramix since V7 but there´s no way you can use it with the DAPS which only runs on MAC. Although Pyramix recent versions support ADM files and immersive formats channel configurations, you´ll need to have the Dolby Mastering Suite installed on another machine (PC or MAC) with a physical interface of 128 channels plus timecode to connect it to your Pyramix machine via its interface, meaning that we´re talking Dante or MADI here. It´s what Dolby calls an RMU (rendering mastering unit)

ADM file does not mean Atmos per se, Audio Definition Model files apply to other immersive formats as well, like MPEG H etc.

Thanks a lot for running down. I think we will go with Pro Tools with Dolby Atmos Suite for Atmos gigs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post

But you could export an ADM wav and in turn import that into the DAPS on a mac right?

And I suppose you could make an atmos master from that (?)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
But you could export an ADM wav and in turn import that into the DAPS on a mac right?

And I suppose you could make an atmos master from that (?)
Maybe, never tried. Like I said, I stopped using Pyramix on V7. Not sure about how the translation in terms of object metadata will work. But I hope it works, I just don´t have the system to experiment myself.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear