The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dialogue Editing - Pro Tools Smart Tools vs Single Edit Tool
Old 3rd June 2020
Here for the gear
Dialogue Editing - Pro Tools Smart Tools vs Single Edit Tool

Dear Colleagues,

I really wanted to make like a poll so everybody can vote but this is my first thread so I am new to this. I am working in the industry since 2014 but I have always been used to work with the smart tools in Pro Tools.

I saw lots of veterans and seasoned dialogue and sfx editor that are actually using single edit tools and switching them every time like selector tool and grabber tool when editing... I have never learnt this way maybe because I am young and smart tools only came with later version of pro tools.

I am talking to people editing in post production what do you prefer: smart tools or single edit tool and what do you think are the advantages of one or another?

Thanks!

Cheers!
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Maniac

I think a lot of it is personal preference and what you find quickest.

I know loads of talented engineers who use the tools individually and are damn quick at it too, but I personally use the smart tool as I find it's quicker for me.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

I guess I can count myself as a veteran as I learned Pro tools when the smart Tool didn't exist. ( I think it was v4) Never got used to it...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smart Tool nearly 100% of the time here. I'm a fairly recent convert, committing to PT as my primary DAW at version 10.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Individual tools mapped to mouse buttons.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
I guess I can count myself as a veteran as I learned Pro tools when the smart Tool didn't exist. ( I think it was v4) Never got used to it...
Good point All the editors I know that started before PT5 still have one hand on the F-Keys to constantly switch between the fixed tools. All others who started after smart-tool was born use that most of the time.

In tiny and micro view obviously the smart tool can be a PITA but I rarely use the the mouse to trim something anyway. Almost anything can be done with A,S,D,F,G without needing any of the fixed tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I edit plenty of dialogue and have been using the smart tool since 2008 (PT 8). I have more than enough hotkeys (default and added via mac keyboard prefs) to deal with under my right hand on the bottom half of the keyboard. I barely want to reach for the QWERTY row let alone F keys all the time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

As others have said or hinted at, one is not necessarily better than the other - it's based more on personal preference and/or muscle memory..

I generally use the smart tool 90-something percent of the time, but reach for individual tools when needed (most often this would be object grabber tool).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would like an option to exclude trim and fades from the smart tool.
Almost exclusively use shortcuts for these.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I would like an option to exclude trim and fades from the smart tool.
Almost exclusively use shortcuts for these.
+1000 !!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smart tool + asdfg for me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I would like an option to exclude trim and fades from the smart tool....
Speaking of wish lists....I would like the option to disable the Y key command (spot clip to beginning of session). I don't know how many times I've tried to zoom in with the T key -- apparently with bad left hand precision -- and then ask myself "where did my clip go?"

I'm sure that key serves a useful function in some scenario, but I've never figured out the point of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
wow guys some many of you replies well I guess I am not the only one using the smart tool!! nice to know! eheh.
I guess mouse mapping /single edit tools would be a nice way to go so to avoid random fades that occasionally happen when using the smart tool
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Speaking of wish lists....I would like the option to disable the Y key command (spot clip to beginning of session). I don't know how many times I've tried to zoom in with the T key -- apparently with bad left hand precision -- and then ask myself "where did my clip go?"

I'm sure that key serves a useful function in some scenario, but I've never figured out the point of it.
it happens all the time!! still I don't know why they keep this shortcut, very dangerous
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I switch tools with command 1 through 5. For me it's the fastest most precise way to do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

A mixer I've worked with puts locked clip groups at the start of the session so that if they accidentally hit Y it throws up a warning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfbates View Post
A mixer I've worked with puts locked clip groups at the start of the session so that if they accidentally hit Y it throws up a warning.
That's a great trick!
Old 4 weeks ago
I got used to smart tool, despite the annoying trim...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Y means "spot to external TC" (which is essentially session start if no TC is connected). As a workaround you can patch your LTC out into the LTC in of your SYNC HD and turn generate LTC on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
That's a great trick!
or just press undo once.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
or just press undo once.
Yes, but then you're still stuck viewing the start of the session. So you would 2 keystrokes to get back, Z and Q instead of just pressing Esc or C.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Smart Tool user here all the time as well. I just find it faster and easier.

I'm also enjoying some of the workflow tips mentioned above too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It came out about 15 years ago I think, and I never looked back.
When I watch someone edit dialog without using the smart tool, I get hot flushes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Smart tool + asdfg for me
This, plus scroll wheel for zooming and clip gain.

Sometimes I will turn off the smart tool when I zoom the track size to jumbo or extreme. I think it gets in the way more when the track is bigger vs smaller.

I've always wanted modifier keys for the smart tool, to enable say scrub trim or cut/object grabber temporarily.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear