The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode NT-SF1 recorded ambience
Old 25th April 2020
Rode NT-SF1 recorded ambience

Hi guys! I hope you are all doing well and staying safe!!
I'm pretty new to the ambisonics world but I got the Rode NT-SF1 microphone last week and this is one of my first recordings.
I recorded the ambience for 6 minutes and exported it in Ambix mode. (4 tracks)
So far i'm loving this mic and plugin! (soundfield)
I noticed however that the dead cat doesn't help too much with the wind! Anyone has recommendations or previous experience with that?
Here's the samples in case you guys want to check it out!
I have them for free download as well!
Enjoy

Stereo export:
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-abrusc...-free-download

Ambisonics export:
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.abrusci View Post
Hi guys! I hope you are all doing well and staying safe!!
I'm pretty new to the ambisonics world but I got the Rode NT-SF1 microphone last week and this is one of my first recordings.
I recorded the ambience for 6 minutes and exported it in Ambix mode. (4 tracks)
So far i'm loving this mic and plugin! (soundfield)
I noticed however that the dead cat doesn't help too much with the wind! Anyone has recommendations or previous experience with that?
Here's the samples in case you guys want to check it out!
I have them for free download as well!
Enjoy

Stereo export:

Ambisonics export:
A dead cat might stop wind buffeting against the mic, but nothing will
stop the actual recording of the wind noise itself.
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for sfx. Soundfield is a great plugin, especially for free. What did you record the mic on?
Old 26th April 2020
I used the Zoom F4 in Ambisonics A mode
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Nice unit. I use the Zoom H3 for ambisonics, which looks like a toy, and is budget side of their line. I find ambisonics recordings aren't usually for high fidelity regardless, especially with the processing it undergoes. The rode looks like a quality mic though. I agree with the other poster, hard to get rid of wind if there is a lot of it. A portable lighting reflector can deflect some of the direct wind, until it changes direction. But it can also generate a sound on its own as well if too close (but it has to be close enough to block enough capsules).
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

The actual mic xlr cable plug and other edges on the mic itself will catch wind and cause noise. Any chance of hiding the complete mic in a wind shield? If not, try wrapping the XLR plug in tape, wrap some fabric around it or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
The actual mic xlr cable plug and other edges on the mic itself will catch wind and cause noise. Any chance of hiding the complete mic in a wind shield? If not, try wrapping the XLR plug in tape, wrap some fabric around it or so.
That's a great tip!!
Thanks man! I'll try that for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
Nice unit. I use the Zoom H3 for ambisonics, which looks like a toy, and is budget side of their line. I find ambisonics recordings aren't usually for high fidelity regardless, especially with the processing it undergoes. The rode looks like a quality mic though. I agree with the other poster, hard to get rid of wind if there is a lot of it. A portable lighting reflector can deflect some of the direct wind, until it changes direction. But it can also generate a sound on its own as well if too close (but it has to be close enough to block enough capsules).
I'm just amazed how nowadays with a 1K microphone I can record my own ambiences and export them in 5.1 if I need to.
To be honest one of the things I like more about ambisonics is the possibilities you have in post!
I don't really record a lot of ambiences for my projects but I love the fact that if I have to, now, I can do it fairly easy and the possibilities are endless!
Recreating ambiences in 5.1 can be somewhat challenging but with this I feel like the game has changed!
I also didn't want to spend 5K on a surround microphone!
Thanks for the tips man!
๐Ÿ“ Reply