The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
consolidated omfs and logic pro x
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Question consolidated omfs and logic pro x

Hello guys.

I have been doing my post production work for approximately 7 years completely in Logic Pro X, and it is a software that makes me very happy. I adapted my workflow to it and the truth makes me prefer it over other DAWs. But the only big problem that I have never been able to solve, is about importing consolidated OMFs into LGPX.

My only solution has been to go through Pro Tools and export in AAF, but ... at this point no one has come up with a better solution? I really hate this, and I hate having to explain to clients to send me the files separately.

I would like to read your experiences and possible solutions. Cheers!

Last edited by tofermusic; 2 days ago at 02:15 AM.. Reason: I wrote the title in Spanish, and it must be in English. Sorry!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

No, sorry, neither Avid (who runs the AAF standard) or Apple seem to have any interest in this issue. Apple has enough money that it could solve the problem if it wanted to, so either it doesn't want to or doesn't think it's important. Users have been complaining about this forever. In truth very few DAW apps handle AAF at all, and fewer still handle it reliably. You might consider pleading your case with AATranslator, that utility is how folks get OMFs and AAFs in and out of Reaper, Audition, Vegas etc. https://www.aatranslator.com.au/ Maybe they've got an experimental version for Logic.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Truth is that we actually started to consider building a 'special' Logic flavoured AAF that Logic would import correctly. Well it wasn't too far into this that it dawned on me that the name Logic had to be a pun because the way Logic handled AAF made no sense at all.
What we discovered (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that not only could Logic not create a correctly formatted AAF (well not one that equated to the source session) but it couldn't correctly import either a properly formatted AAF or even one that Logic itself had created.

I'm happy to look at this further (because for many it is an annoying situation) if the OP has an AAF that Logic will open correctly that he wants to send me.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Truth is that we actually started to consider building a 'special' Logic flavoured AAF that Logic would import correctly. Well it wasn't too far into this that it dawned on me that the name Logic had to be a pun because the way Logic handled AAF made no sense at all.
What we discovered (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that not only could Logic not create a correctly formatted AAF (well not one that equated to the source session) but it couldn't correctly import either a properly formatted AAF or even one that Logic itself had created.

I'm happy to look at this further (because for many it is an annoying situation) if the OP has an AAF that Logic will open correctly that he wants to send me.
Someone just sent me an AAF from Pro Tools - when opening it in Logic Pro X stereo tracks were dual mono, there was no automation, panning (or plugins, but I expected that), and everything was at unity volume. But the good news is, the timeline and placement of audio was preserved, so I could still work with it for my purposes, but definitely not seamless importing, that's for sure. Is this typical?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
Someone just sent me an AAF from Pro Tools - when opening it in Logic Pro X stereo tracks were dual mono, there was no automation, panning (or plugins, but I expected that), and everything was at unity volume. But the good news is, the timeline and placement of audio was preserved, so I could still work with it for my purposes, but definitely not seamless importing, that's for sure. Is this typical?
Count yourself lucky if you got all the audio and it is in the right position vs picture.
Old 1 day ago
My old trick was to import the omf into Logic 9 first. It's the last version of Logic that actually did a decent job of handling OMFs. It's been a long time, so I can't recall how it handled AAF imports. Additionally, I believe Sierra was the last OS that Logic 9 worked on, but I may be mistaken.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
Since I last posted I decided to revisit this issue and I have found that an AAF created by ProTools will open in a useable state when opened in Logic Pro X.
I am going to pursue this further to see if we can emulate this AAF 'variant'.

To answer your question "is this typical?" the answer is yes - though I didn't realise that Logic could open it as well as it did.

In these times it seems I have more time to devout to this issue ;-)
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

I've worked out exactly what Logic is doing and what it's looking for and as a result Logic has now moved higher on my list of DAWs that I hate ;-)
Bottom line is I now know what I have to do to create a 'Logic' AAF variant.
A bit of work involved but pretty sure it is do-able

My thanks to all on this thread that have brought this once more to my attention.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I've worked out exactly what Logic is doing and what it's looking for and as a result Logic has now moved higher on my list of DAWs that I hate ;-)
Bottom line is I now know what I have to do to create a 'Logic' AAF variant.
A bit of work involved but pretty sure it is do-able

My thanks to all on this thread that have brought this once more to my attention.
Care to share your protocol when you're done? I bet many would find something like that very useful, indeed.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

IF I can pull this off it will certainly be a free upgrade available to all AATranslator users and something many of them have been after for a while now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search