The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Atmos Studio Equipment
Old 3 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Home Atmos Studio Equipment

Hi Everyone, I am totally new here and need your help. I had some help already but still many things are not clear for me. I edit documentaries and travel videos and would like to try to add atmos mixes just for my enjoyment (mostly).I don't do staff for netflix and cinemas and dont need a dolby apprived studio it is just my love. So I would like to use Pro Tools Ultimate with DAPS of course. Work on a Mac computer.
I have a 7.1.4 passive speaker setup which I need to connect to the computer to edit, mix and monitor Atmos.
What I understood that i need:
-12 channel IO from my computer so I choose the Focusrite Rednet to connect via Dante
- and than from Rednet 2 I would go to 6 2-channel Amps
- and from there to each an individual speakers.

I assumed this setup is a workable. Is it?
I also heard that the speakers cannot be controlled with this setup so I would need to change Rednet 2. To What ?
Also the questions is once the mix is ready and i go back to my video editing software which is davinci or i want to play back ready video with atmos file via computer, media player, AVR, Blue raw whatever....is it possible with the setup ?
THANKS A MILLION FOR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INPUT FOR ME
Old 3 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

The first half of this is fine. You will use PT and the DAPS running on your computer either with Send/Return plug ins or the Dolby Bridge.

Ideally you would have a 7.1.4 monitor controller handle the output to the speakers. So PT I/O > Monitor Controller > Amps. Otherwise, you are correct, you will not have individual control over your speakers. You will be able to control overall volume/dim/mute inside the DAPS. Also, if you use the Send/Return plug ins (which wont work with Delay Comp) you can have 12 individual AUX Returns for each of your speakers and mute speakers that way.

We use the Intonato here as a speaker controller. Pretty cheap. You can make it work with Dante but you need the BLU-DA to go from Dante to HiNet.

There are a few others in a similar price range that should work for you as well (Yamaha MMP1)

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by lgabor View Post
Hi Everyone, I am totally new here and need your help. I had some help already but still many things are not clear for me. I edit documentaries and travel videos and would like to try to add atmos mixes just for my enjoyment (mostly).I don't do staff for netflix and cinemas and dont need a dolby apprived studio it is just my love. So I would like to use Pro Tools Ultimate with DAPS of course. Work on a Mac computer.
I have a 7.1.4 passive speaker setup which I need to connect to the computer to edit, mix and monitor Atmos.
What I understood that i need:
-12 channel IO from my computer so I choose the Focusrite Rednet to connect via Dante
- and than from Rednet 2 I would go to 6 2-channel Amps
- and from there to each an individual speakers.

I assumed this setup is a workable. Is it?
I also heard that the speakers cannot be controlled with this setup so I would need to change Rednet 2. To What ?
Also the questions is once the mix is ready and i go back to my video editing software which is davinci or i want to play back ready video with atmos file via computer, media player, AVR, Blue raw whatever....is it possible with the setup ?
THANKS A MILLION FOR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INPUT FOR ME
Old 3 days ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
The first half of this is fine. You will use PT and the DAPS running on your computer either with Send/Return plug ins or the Dolby Bridge.

Ideally you would have a 7.1.4 monitor controller handle the output to the speakers. So PT I/O > Monitor Controller > Amps. Otherwise, you are correct, you will not have individual control over your speakers. You will be able to control overall volume/dim/mute inside the DAPS. Also, if you use the Send/Return plug ins (which wont work with Delay Comp) you can have 12 individual AUX Returns for each of your speakers and mute speakers that way.

We use the Intonato here as a speaker controller. Pretty cheap. You can make it work with Dante but you need the BLU-DA to go from Dante to HiNet.

There are a few others in a similar price range that should work for you as well (Yamaha MMP1)

Randall
Hi Randall, THANK YOU so much for your reply..I will have some more questions, pls dont give up on me....yet.....I thought i have control of my individual speakers by each amp which is not the best solution. The Intonato with the 24 channel looks like an overkill for me also looks like it is hard to find it EU.
Is there any particular model which is better for me than the rednet 2 i mentioned earlier ?
Old 3 days ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
The first half of this is fine. You will use PT and the DAPS running on your computer either with Send/Return plug ins or the Dolby Bridge.

Ideally you would have a 7.1.4 monitor controller handle the output to the speakers. So PT I/O > Monitor Controller > Amps. Otherwise, you are correct, you will not have individual control over your speakers. You will be able to control overall volume/dim/mute inside the DAPS. Also, if you use the Send/Return plug ins (which wont work with Delay Comp) you can have 12 individual AUX Returns for each of your speakers and mute speakers that way.

We use the Intonato here as a speaker controller. Pretty cheap. You can make it work with Dante but you need the BLU-DA to go from Dante to HiNet.

There are a few others in a similar price range that should work for you as well (Yamaha MMP1)

Randall
Hi Randall, I read more about it so I decided to go with your recommendation. I will talk to JBL and YAMAHA here in EU to see which is better priced and available for me.

So that is out of the way so the solution is like this ? :
PT with DAPS via Dolby Bridge IO- Intonato or MMP1 - 6 pieces of 2 channel AMP (such as Behringer A800 as an example) - to each individual speaker.
Old 3 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

That would be fine as far as amps go. Not really familiar with the Behringer stuff, but if you are comfortable with them it should be fine.

I am using an 8 channel and 4 channel amp (Sub is powered) here.

Either the Yamaha or the JBL will handle channel delay and level, so the amps are really up to you.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by lgabor View Post
Hi Randall, I read more about it so I decided to go with your recommendation. I will talk to JBL and YAMAHA here in EU to see which is better priced and available for me.

So that is out of the way so the solution is like this ? :
PT with DAPS via Dolby Bridge IO- Intonato or MMP1 - 6 pieces of 2 channel AMP (such as Behringer A800 as an example) - to each individual speaker.
Old 3 days ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
That would be fine as far as amps go. Not really familiar with the Behringer stuff, but if you are comfortable with them it should be fine.

I am using an 8 channel and 4 channel amp (Sub is powered) here.

Either the Yamaha or the JBL will handle channel delay and level, so the amps are really up to you.

Randall
Thanks Randall. So with this setup will be able to mix and monitor Atmos 7.1.4 and actually even more with all these channels.

PT with DAPS via Dolby Bridge IO- Intonato or MMP1 - 6 pieces of 2 channel AMP (such as Behringer A800 as an example) - to each individual speaker.

So the second part of the question was that when the mix is ready i have the final atmos file I would like to move to my editing station which is a windows machine. Is this MMP1 or JBL can be connected to that machine and play back a dolby atmos file through my editing software or via a blue ray disc for example ?
Old 2 days ago
  #7
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgabor View Post
Hi Everyone, I am totally new here and need your help. I had some help already but still many things are not clear for me. I edit documentaries and travel videos and would like to try to add atmos mixes just for my enjoyment (mostly).I don't do staff for netflix and cinemas and dont need a dolby apprived studio it is just my love. So I would like to use Pro Tools Ultimate with DAPS of course. Work on a Mac computer.
I have a 7.1.4 passive speaker setup which I need to connect to the computer to edit, mix and monitor Atmos.
What I understood that i need:
-12 channel IO from my computer so I choose the Focusrite Rednet to connect via Dante
- and than from Rednet 2 I would go to 6 2-channel Amps
- and from there to each an individual speakers.

I assumed this setup is a workable. Is it?
I also heard that the speakers cannot be controlled with this setup so I would need to change Rednet 2. To What ?
Also the questions is once the mix is ready and i go back to my video editing software which is davinci or i want to play back ready video with atmos file via computer, media player, AVR, Blue raw whatever....is it possible with the setup ?
THANKS A MILLION FOR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INPUT FOR ME
You could use an interface like a RME UFX which gives you 8 outputs then connect something like one of the older RME fireface 400 interfaces to it using ADAT. That would give you another 6 outputs and with it being linked to the UFX by ADAT all 14 outputs would be accessible through one RME driver and total mix software.
Old 2 days ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

i've been using a yamaha dme64n/icp1 with/out my-8 lake cards, madi and/or dante cards to drive my 7.1.4 plus additional speaker systems for years - or then amps with built-in processing from lake/lab gruppen or armonia/powersoft - dme processors can be found amazingly cheap these days (as well as bss blue line processors).

togerher with a lake lm44 or lake dlp, i'm running up to 25 outputs (7x 2-way tops, 4 subs, 4 immersive/overhead speakers, l/r nearfields plus a single broadband center speaker) using external euphonix or rme converters...

...and then there's outline newton speaker controller!

https://newton.outline.it/control.html

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 day ago at 04:22 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 10 minutes ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
The first half of this is fine. You will use PT and the DAPS running on your computer either with Send/Return plug ins or the Dolby Bridge.

Ideally you would have a 7.1.4 monitor controller handle the output to the speakers. So PT I/O > Monitor Controller > Amps. Otherwise, you are correct, you will not have individual control over your speakers. You will be able to control overall volume/dim/mute inside the DAPS. Also, if you use the Send/Return plug ins (which wont work with Delay Comp) you can have 12 individual AUX Returns for each of your speakers and mute speakers that way.

We use the Intonato here as a speaker controller. Pretty cheap. You can make it work with Dante but you need the BLU-DA to go from Dante to HiNet.

There are a few others in a similar price range that should work for you as well (Yamaha MMP1)

Randall
Randall, I am about the push the BUY IT on the Intonate 24 and the BLUDAN
This hardware duo will be able to do just what i am looking for to be able to mix and monitor atmos in the 7.1.4 or 9.1.4 configuration with PT and DAPS. Is that correct ?
Sorry for asking you, but i honestly read so many info and the more i read the more confusing it gets.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump