The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec GLM workaround for Catalina ?
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Genelec GLM workaround for Catalina ?

I was going through updating everything to 64 bit today and found that the GLM software isn't 64 bit yet(https://community.genelec.com/software/glm#/).

How are you guys with the new mac pros getting around this (or I guess your not calibrating based on GLM ?)?

Here's the note on entering the beta test program, is anyone using the GLM beta to get around this problem?

-------

https://www.community.genelec.com/fo...sage/1250964#/
-------
Dear All,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience regarding GLM – Catalina, and we are also sorry that we have not released much information of the upcoming updates earlier.

One of our Company values is Honesty, and therefore we are always honest towards our customers.

We admit that we have not reacted fast enough to offer a GLM 64-bit application. The main reason for this, but not an excuse, is that we have been using coding tool that does not support 64-bit functionality at the moment, and we have been waiting for the supplier to release an update to their current software tool which would allow us to translate the current 32-bit GLM to 64-bit, which in the best scenario would have been a quite easy and fast job to do for our Software team.

We have been waiting for this release from the coding tool company, and we have had many discussions with them regarding this. However after the latest discussion with them, unfortunately we got the bad news that the release from them will be delayed, and this has led to the unfortunate situation where we have to look for another coding tool. What does this mean for Genelec?

We need to start using a new coding tool, which means we can use some of the previous coding, but we have to build the user interface from a scratch. As this is a big change to the software, unfortunately this does not happen overnight.
Our software team is working to build a new 64-bit GLM with the new tool, and it is looking promising that we should be able to provide a Beta-version of the software in Q1/2020.
GLM cannot be installed on MacOs Catalina. However, GLM works properly on MacOs versions older than Catalina.
GLM can be installed on Windows with no problem. For those Mac users who have also a PC this can be a temporary solution before GLM 64-bit for MacOS Catalina is ready.
At the moment we estimate that the official launch of GLM 64-bit for MacOS would be in Q2/2020

If you would like to participate in the Beta testing program in Q1/2020, please send e-mail to address below, and fill your contact information, and type ”I would like to participate in GLM 64-bit Beta testing in Q1/2020”, and we will send you an e-mail with the download link for the new GLM 64-bit for MacOS Catalina as soon as possible.

[email protected] ​​​​​​​
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

I wonder if it would run under Parallels?
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Just store your settings on the speakers and sit on them until there is a release?
I would expect an upgrade to your network interface & mic would be required too.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Install VirtualBox and set up a virtual machine with the OS you need. Sounds complicated if you have never done it before but it's really easy.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

These are all awesome idea's when I get my 2019 mac pro, thanks ! On my current 2013 Mac Pro which I was attempting to upgrade, I do have almost everything in the background turned off on a session though (I don't have any extra RAM/CPU on a big 5.1 session on my 2013 mac pro ). Also I sometimes change the db/volume dial during a session to avoid hearing fatigue. I will probably just wait till you high end guys test the beta of GLM out, I'm not sophisticated enough to debug/beta 5.1 calibration issues (is why I love glm so much).
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Maniac

6 weeks later and still no support for GLM under Catalina.

This is pretty disappointing. I just purchased a pair of 8351B and GLM ($12,000 AUD). My Mac is very happy using Catalina which was released 6 months ago today, so I was surprised to discover that GLM software still isn't compatible.

Genelec dropped the ball on this one, but at least they provided a transparent explanation I suppose.
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispire View Post
6 weeks later and still no support for GLM under Catalina.

This is pretty disappointing. I just purchased a pair of 8351B and GLM ($12,000 AUD). My Mac is very happy using Catalina which was released 6 months ago today, so I was surprised to discover that GLM software still isn't compatible.

Genelec dropped the ball on this one, but at least they provided a transparent explanation I suppose.
I just checked, still no change. My new mac will be arriving soon and is Catalina only. I think I'll setup a old laptop to run glm on I guess(at least my old mac laptops have usb).

GLM is so easy for us doing self calibration for near field streaming 5.1 at home. For those moving to nearfield 5.1 for the higher end streaming jobs because of covid, it's not a good time for genelec to drop service of this critical group that is getting new machines.
Old 8th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I just checked, still no change. My new mac will be arriving soon and is Catalina only. I think I'll setup a old laptop to run glm on I guess(at least my old mac laptops have usb).

GLM is so easy for us doing self calibration for near field streaming 5.1 at home. For those moving to nearfield 5.1 for the higher end streaming jobs because of covid, it's not a good time for genelec to drop service of this critical group that is getting new machines.
I've just committed to the Catalina upgrade and am suffering the consequences! I don't suppose you've been told when the Beta might be available?
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmurphy View Post
I've just committed to the Catalina upgrade and am suffering the consequences! I don't suppose you've been told when the Beta might be available?
The latest I've seen is:

Dear All,

I'm sorry to inform, the latest information we have received from our R&D is that the release for Beta-version will be delayed from the previous "End of April" estimation. At this point we do not have any time estimation for the release to share for the Beta release. GLM software is being updated to be compatible with Mac OS X Catalina (10.15). The work is progressing well. Initially, the software becomes available as a Beta for end-customer evaluation. We will let you know as soon as it becomes available.

We have quite long list of Beta testers, and we understand how critical it is to have this ready as soon as possible. For any feedback or open discussions, we would kindly ask you to share your feedback on this thread.

-------

I'm going with a laptop controller as I think thats the easiest, windows or older mac.

A post in the genelec community which I think was pretty good( https://community.genelec.com/forum/...sage/1499130#/ ):

"A good solution is just getting an HP Probook 11 G2 for 300 dollars. Its a hardened mini-laptop for education built like a tank, runs Windows 10. Make it your dedicated GLM console. Problem solved. I have one for field van GLM Control its a dedicated control machine just for that purpose so the screen is always up and open to the side is also touch screen so I can just adjust volume slider etc.. by touching and using the screen. There is a G3 model now that lets you flip the screen over."
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

Is it possible to use the Genelec GLM set + Genelec 9301A AES/EBU Interface as
standalone digital audio interface?

What I mean by that is: will it appear in my DAW as an available interface with 8 digital outputs?

I would love to use those 4 AES outputs.
Old 7th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
Is it possible to use the Genelec GLM set + Genelec 9301A AES/EBU Interface as
standalone digital audio interface?

What I mean by that is: will it appear in my DAW as an available interface with 8 digital outputs?

I would love to use those 4 AES outputs.

No, nothing GLM related appears in your DAW. The 9301A interface box is just a bass management device. You will only ever get AES signals out of it, if you feed AES signals into it.
Old 7th June 2020
Gear Maniac

This GLM Catalina delay is a real pain.
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Baxter Put View Post
This GLM Catalina delay is a real pain.
Although I agree that Genelec should have had a 64 bit version of GLM a long time ago, you need to understand that not all MAC users are eager to move to Catalina and also that there´s millions of users running non MAC machines, in other words, PC´s.
Old 13th June 2020
Lives for gear
It is extraordinary and unacceptable that Genelec has completely dropped the ball here. Having recently bought 8351b and just about to buy a brand new Mac (desperately needed) I realise to my horror now that I can’t. One of the reasons I went with Genelec is the ability to store multiple GLM setups and toggle between them. I have a client preset optimised for clients sitting on couch, a preset that removes all bass and treble and focussed on mids, a preset with and without subs etc. All that is null and void the instant anybody buys a new Mac. How on earth is it possible that Genelec has so deeply failed here? So much time has elapsed. It’s incredibly disappointing.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
It is extraordinary and unacceptable that Genelec has completely dropped the ball here. Having recently bought 8351b and just about to buy a brand new Mac (desperately needed) I realise to my horror now that I can’t. One of the reasons I went with Genelec is the ability to store multiple GLM setups and toggle between them. I have a client preset optimised for clients sitting on couch, a preset that removes all bass and treble and focussed on mids, a preset with and without subs etc. All that is null and void the instant anybody buys a new Mac. How on earth is it possible that Genelec has so deeply failed here? So much time has elapsed. It’s incredibly disappointing.
Agree, but can´t you use your old MAC or a cheap laptop for the time being? I mean, it´s not the end of the world, you can still buy your new MAC. I remember when we had to buy a new MAC that came with Mojave and Protools was not compatible. That was really much worse....
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Agree, but can´t you use your old MAC or a cheap laptop for the time being? I mean, it´s not the end of the world, you can still buy your new MAC. I remember when we had to buy a new MAC that came with Mojave and Protools was not compatible. That was really much worse....
I don’t want to overstate it as the end of the world. Totally. There are extremely annoying workarounds like u mention. I’ll have to resort to those and be a big boy. It’s the last thing I want to do though with another computer though. What is totally unacceptable though is that Genelec released 8351b, 8360, the big sub thing etc without being compatible with the current Mac operating system. That’s insane. It’s not like it was an old product they were no longer supporting. Also it’s been so long now. Catalina is really old news. Genelec need to pay big bucks to a company who can fix this up for them quick smart. Will they? We pay top dollar for these speakers. They are very high end. This does not seem right.
Old 14th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I don’t want to overstate it as the end of the world. Totally. There are extremely annoying workarounds like u mention. I’ll have to resort to those and be a big boy. It’s the last thing I want to do though with another computer though. What is totally unacceptable though is that Genelec released 8351b, 8360, the big sub thing etc without being compatible with the current Mac operating system. That’s insane. It’s not like it was an old product they were no longer supporting. Also it’s been so long now. Catalina is really old news. Genelec need to pay big bucks to a company who can fix this up for them quick smart. Will they? We pay top dollar for these speakers. They are very high end. This does not seem right.
I am with you here. I have some understanding for Genelec not beeing the biggest company and re-coding a software seems to be painful.

But I just got 8341 for test with GLM and the dealer didn't even tell me about the incompatibilities. It basically doesn't work with any Mac bought in the last 10 months and not with those which have been updated. That's a hell lot of users, me included.

So I send the Genelecs back, stick with my Geithain RL906 and wait for them to sort this out.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
I am with you here. I have some understanding for Genelec not beeing the biggest company and re-coding a software seems to be painful.

But I just got 8341 for test with GLM and the dealer didn't even tell me about the incompatibilities. It basically doesn't work with any Mac bought in the last 10 months and not with those which have been updated. That's a hell lot of users, me included.

So I send the Genelecs back, stick with my Geithain RL906 and wait for them to sort this out.
See Genelec u are already loosing serious customers. Sort this out! Should not be in this position.
Old 6th July 2020
The GLM4 beta is out. I haven't encountered any issues with it yet, and will open GLM3 configurations without the need to retest. The updated design is great!
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Where can you get it?
Old 6th July 2020
Quote:
Where can you get it?
https://community.genelec.com/forum/...sage/1550642#/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Major disaster. I just used GLM3 and now I have lost all output through my audio interface.

Either I've done something really silly that's an easy fix, or GLM has corrupted something in my computer and/or interface.

I have a pair of 8351B and a 2013 Mac Pro running Catalina 10.16.6.

I followed Genelec's instructions for installing GLM3 on a Catalina computer. I successfully created a Mojave partition on my Mac, installed the software and successfully ran the GLM calibration process. Everything worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, from the moment I finished using GLM, my audio interface (an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt) stopped producing any output sound.

I am able to record sounds, but there is no output. When playing back music, the level meters on the Ensemble do not show any output at all. In other words, the output is not quiet, it’s zero.

In my system preferences, the Apogee Ensemble is selected as the Input and Output device but I simply cannot get my audio interface to make any sound.

I have spent 5 hours trying to fix this, but no success. Here are some of the things I tried:

I rebooted in Mojave and disabled GLM.
I reinstalled the Apogee Ensemble software and ran a firmware update.
I physically disconnected the GLM system and network cables.
I rebooted my computer multiple times, both in Mojave and Catalina.
I have checked all my audio settings and the Apogee Ensemble software to ensure that nothing is muted.

In short, I’ve been using this audio interface for 18 months with no problems. I installed GLM, ran a calibration and then immediately lost all output on my audio interface.

Until I get a fix, my studio is offline and unusable.

I have contacted Genelec for support but I'm desperate for help. Any ideas or solutions you can think of will be gratefully received.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispire View Post
Major disaster. I just used GLM3 and now I have lost all output through my audio interface.

Either I've done something really silly that's an easy fix, or GLM has corrupted something in my computer and/or interface.

I have a pair of 8351B and a 2013 Mac Pro running Catalina 10.16.6.

I followed Genelec's instructions for installing GLM3 on a Catalina computer. I successfully created a Mojave partition on my Mac, installed the software and successfully ran the GLM calibration process. Everything worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, from the moment I finished using GLM, my audio interface (an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt) stopped producing any output sound.

I am able to record sounds, but there is no output. When playing back music, the level meters on the Ensemble do not show any output at all. In other words, the output is not quiet, it’s zero.

In my system preferences, the Apogee Ensemble is selected as the Input and Output device but I simply cannot get my audio interface to make any sound.

I have spent 5 hours trying to fix this, but no success. Here are some of the things I tried:

I rebooted in Mojave and disabled GLM.
I reinstalled the Apogee Ensemble software and ran a firmware update.
I physically disconnected the GLM system and network cables.
I rebooted my computer multiple times, both in Mojave and Catalina.
I have checked all my audio settings and the Apogee Ensemble software to ensure that nothing is muted.

In short, I’ve been using this audio interface for 18 months with no problems. I installed GLM, ran a calibration and then immediately lost all output on my audio interface.

Until I get a fix, my studio is offline and unusable.

I have contacted Genelec for support but I'm desperate for help. Any ideas or solutions you can think of will be gratefully received.
Man I feel so sorry for u. It astounds me that Genelec hasn’t got on top of Catalina when they posted an apology in February.

I really hope u fix it and Genelec comes to the party to do their part.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The GLM4 beta has been working great for me.

I'm not sure if the Mojave partition has anything to do with your issues? Maybe just going straight Catalina would help?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your support. I'm still stuck. Studio still closed.

Genelec were very quick to provide support (in under 6 hours). Unfortunately they don't know why this has happened.

According to Genelec, "Installing GLM should not have any impact on the performance of the Apogee interface. GLM simply controls Genelec SAM monitors, it is not an audio driver."

I believe them. Creating a Mojave partition and/or using GLM should not have any affect on my audio interface at all.

All I know is that I didn't change anything with my interface. I created a Mojave partition, installed and ran GLM, and now I can't produce any sound.

The speakers work. GLM can send a test tone, which the speakers produce. The problem is that my interface is either (a) receiving no digital information from my computer or (b) is unable to do anything with that information.

I've reinstalled my audio interface software again, no effect. Headphones - zero. Monitor outputs - zero. Replaced the thunderbolt cable. No effect.

In 20 years of audio work I've never been so baffled by a tech issue. I've contacted Apogee for support. Fingers crossed that they have some ideas or I am in deep do-do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The GLM4 beta has been working great for me.

I'm not sure if the Mojave partition has anything to do with your issues? Maybe just going straight Catalina would help?
I need to do just bite the bullet and cut over the the GLM 4 beta, glad it's working for you.

Chrispire, I wonder if there was some 32 bit functionality that somehow got whacked by the OS. I had to slowly look at all my 32 bit software using that operating system report, then go through about 10 programs looking up if they had 64 bit drivers. The whole 32 bit being dropped is just frustrating, I've gone through a lot of 32 bit to 64 bit OS changes and this one seems a mess for us that have old audio drivers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
Chrispire, I wonder if there was some 32 bit functionality that somehow got whacked by the OS. I had to slowly look at all my 32 bit software using that operating system report, then go through about 10 programs looking up if they had 64 bit drivers. The whole 32 bit being dropped is just frustrating, I've gone through a lot of 32 bit to 64 bit OS changes and this one seems a mess for us that have old audio drivers.
Anything is possible. It’s been years since I gave any thought to 32 bit software. I’ll look into it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

RESOLVED. Thank goodness.

It looks like the creation of a Mojave partition did “something” weird to the Apogee Ensemble. Deleting the partition didn’t solve the problem but a factory hardware reset/initialise of the Ensemble seems to have done the trick.

Strangely, after the reset only one speaker was working, even though I had output on both left and right channels. I had to switch off/on one of my 8351B's before it would accept the signal from my interface. More weirdness.

Anyway, I’m now able to enjoy these 8351B’s again. They are unbelievably good. Definitely won't be creating any more Mojave partitions on my Mac again though.

Will give GLM4 beta a try in Catalina. 7360a arriving in a matter of days. Good times. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just a quick follow up on my experience with the GLM3 / interface debacle (for posterity's sake).

This tech issue shut my studio down completely. I reached out to both Genelec and Apogee for support.

Genelec replied within hours.

Apogee took 4 days.

When you contact a company you've spent thousands of dollars with and tell them that your studio is literally closed because of a technical problem with their product, you find out pretty quickly who cares.

I award 10 points to house Genelec.

I award no points to house Apogee.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

GLM4 beta

Anyone else tried GLM4 Beta with Catalina?

Visually it’s a lot nicer than GLM3, but in its beta form I found it very glitchy. Here are a few of the issues I ran into:

No sine sweep produced after clicking “Start Calibration”. After 3-4 tries it works.

Right monitor being dimmed by 10db for no apparent reason.

Subwoofer stops producing any sound for no apparent reason.

After multiple factory resets of my monitors, I gave up for now. I was able to squeeze out a couple of good calibrations, but found it very unreliable overall. I suppose that’s what beta is all about.
📝 Reply