The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mains or nearflieds as 5.1 setup?
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Nut
Mains or nearflieds as 5.1 setup?

hi,

I have to rephrase a question I posted the other day, in which I wondered if I should get a Center speaker for my ATC scm50asl (sitting at 2m), or get a additional 5.1 setup like the Dynaudio bm5. I also need a smaller second pair for stereo, so they would cover that.

now I would like to ask you in general what is your experience when working with 5.1. and smaller systems.

I do lots of music, sounddesign, foley, and premix in my room for theatrical, final mix for smaller projects or TV or DVD. For final theatrical mix I go to a bigger room or cinema.

So with the ATCs as mains I could always check L & R and also C, and for balancing those I would use the smaller setup like Genelec 1030, APS Klasik, neumann120, or alike.

I never tried to work that way and do not have access to a small 5.1 setup to try it out, what would you do?

(I only discuss L C R here, for Ls Rs I have another solution)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search