The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Super noob - best way to put audio and video together
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Super noob - best way to put audio and video together

I’d like to start adding video to audio recordings and I’m not sure how to best combine the two.

I’m looking at either a dslr that has a stereo mic input or a GoPro. My current interface is an Apollo X6, but I’m thinking of switching to something smaller. Worst case, I’m thinking I could run a mix from my interface into the mic input, but may need something in between to convert line to mic.

I’d prefer to record audio through my interface and all my other gear obviously and then put that audio file together with video from aforementioned camera. I was looking into Final Cut Pro to do this, but how do I add a marker in the audio and video simultaneously at the same point/time to sync them?

Alternatively, is there a way to add time code to my interface?
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear
The way they did it in Hollywood for most of the last century: slap a slate. If you don't have an official striped-and-hinged slate, slap your hands together... in a way that the camera can clearly see when the palms meet... and hold them together afterwards, rather than letting them bounce apart.

Sync the bang! with the first frame where the hands are together. Or in many cases, to the final frame where the hands are blurred from movement before they contact.

If you're planning concert-length takes, get an attenuator and send the undelayed "direct" output of your interface to the camera as well. That way if things drift, you'll be able to tell immediately... and correct by trimming a or v frames.

(This all assumes you're recording audio into your computer, rather than just relying on the mic-input track on your GoPro or DSLR. Your query isn't too clear about what "my interface and all my other gear " includes.)
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear
The video camera will pick up the audio being played, just sync it up and then mute the camera audio. I've used Adobe Premire for over 20 years now...edited many music videos this way.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

I did this years ago with iMovie twice to manually sync and it was very difficult and didn’t come out quite right. Once uploaded to YouTube it was off even more.

That’s why I’m curious if there is a better way and/or if Final Cut Pro is much more precise when doing this manually.

Thanks for your help
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I did this years ago with iMovie twice to manually sync and it was very difficult and didn’t come out quite right. Once uploaded to YouTube it was off even more.

That’s why I’m curious if there is a better way and/or if Final Cut Pro is much more precise when doing this manually.

Thanks for your help
The methods described above work perfectly, you just need to practice more.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear
iMovie has gotten better. It’s still kind of rough compared to full programs like FCP, but should be able to let you sync a and v. If you see a difference between what’s on your screen and what makes it to YouTube, there’s something wrong in how you’re posting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search