The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
can any one share a protools Layout for audio post for video?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

can any one share a protools Layout for audio post for video?

Can anyone please share a Protools layout for dialogue editing and simple mixes. I would really appreciate it, would be very useful to reorganize my workflow. I do some posts on a budget works like short movies and videos for the web.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It's not a template but could be helpful...

https://tonebenderspodcast.com/097-gary-bourgeois/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There are countless ways to organize edit & mix templates. One high-level structural priority -- the basis around which to design the template -- is to organize the session into categories of content: dialog, music, SFX, etc (not unlike what you may see in a music mix template: drums, keys, guitars, etc).

The reason for this is twofold: for control over particular categories without disturbing others, and for organizing deliverables. For instance, you may want to put a compressor or de-esser on your dialog group, but not have that processing apply to the music. So you set up two separate bus paths, one for each category with its own particular processing. Pretty standard.

But secondly, those separate groups won't just be routed to the master mix bus; they also need to be routed to record/print buses to create deliverables. When you deliver the final audio for a project, you'll usually need to supply the full composite mix plus separate groups of elements with full mix processing. So, separate stems of narration, dialog, music, yada yada -- that's easy enough. But sometimes the deliverables will require combinations of elements grouped together: music & effects, maybe narration plus dialog, or full mix minus narration, or whatever else may come up. So your group master tracks will feed a both master print bus and stem buses with your routing matrix.

That's the basic structural approach. Within that framework are all sorts of options that different mixers will use to suit their own way of working. It's probably not very productive to take somebody else's template and try to work with it straight away. If you don't know exactly how things are configured it'll end up being slower adapting to that than to just build one yourself....which probably is why nobody has sent you a sample.

Start small. Create one dialog track and route it to a dialog group aux track. Route that to the master mix bus. Do the same for music, then for SFX, etc. Then start routing the aux groups, one by one, to additional buses for stem recording. At each stage, verify your routing by putting some signal on an audio track (an audio clip or signal generator plugin) and following the signal flow through the structure.

Once you have your groups organized you can customize each one with whatever processing you want on that particular aux group and its tracks, then add such things as VCA faders or whatever you like. But starting small and building incrementally will help you visualize what you have and allow you to see clearly how to change the setup as your needs evolve.

Last edited by sailor; 2 weeks ago at 04:54 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmanuel View Post
It's not a template but could be helpful...

https://tonebenderspodcast.com/097-gary-bourgeois/
I saw Gary Friday at a party and made sure to thank him for this interview.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks for the question and responses. I'm also working in this area with Pro Tools Ultimate and video - and am glad to see more resources in this area.

Regards,

Ray H.
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've been working on my template for the past 11 years... so just do that!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not sure I ever use the same template, I just take the last project and tweak it and it's always changing because the plugin universe is always changing and every project seems to have idiosyncratic deliverables or workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joibjarna View Post
What'd be worth real money is some standard Eucon layouts and macros, or some way of building these without having to have a console in front of you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search