The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundminer 5 playlist alternatives?
Old 28th January 2020
Lives for gear

Question Soundminer 5 playlist alternatives?

I have years invested in the Soundminer 4.5 playlist function. Really useful for music editing when you need to make groups of cues that might be in more than one playlist and quickly get to them. I've only spent a couple of hours with Soundminer 5. Any recommendations for similar functionality in 5? Grouping by 'category' works, but doesn't let me put one cue in many places easily.
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Nut

Playlist function is still there but it's on the left side now. Look at the bottom of the pane and you'll see it to select. The big drag though is that you can't import your v4.5 playlists into v5.

J.R.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks J.R.!

Does anyone know if you can co-install SM4.5 and SM5? I'm going to try it later on my Sierra boot. It will make the transition a little less painful if I can have them both open at the same time.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Head

It should work. After updating to version 5, I got, within 5.0 download E-mail, a link with a 4.5 version which works with version 5 Ilok license. That version should do.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfountain View Post
Playlist function is still there but it's on the left side now. Look at the bottom of the pane and you'll see it to select. The big drag though is that you can't import your v4.5 playlists into v5.

J.R.
Yep. I've got both versions up. They're fighting over Rewire, but besides that, everything else works completely fine. v5 creates its own "SoundminerV5" database folder next to the old v4 folder in Application Support, so it appears that they aren't affecting each other data-wise.

But re-creating my playlists is going to be a headache. The best thing I can think of is to use an odd field like "Subcategory" and embed the name of the Playlist in there in SM4, then rescan in SM5, find all those files and put them in a Playlist. Tedious, but workable. Any better suggestions from the braintrust?
Old 14th February 2020
Have you asked Justin?
I would not have thought a playlist is particularly complex to export in some form
& then import to v5
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'd move the playlists over to bins (in the spotting panel). Might be better in the long run and easier to maintain as well.

Just recall your PL, select all, create a bin in the spotting panel. Then tag your playlist(s) into any number of bins.

Then from the spotting panel export as XML and then re-import into SM5.

Or ask Justin for a more elegant way.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search