The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New MAAT Room tone plugin
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

New MAAT Room tone plugin

https://www.maat.digital/mtg/

It seems like it's a gate that inserts it's learned room tone instead of closing? I don't see how it could ever work in a film workflow but maybe for an audio book or podcast, something with a steady tone that never changes. But then those are the easiest to edit....

Always nice to see new products but I can't decide if this is better or just different.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear
I describe a non-looped, sampling roomtone generator in one of my books... and posted a free, downloadable plug-in* to do it at the book's website, GreatSound.info. I've used it in a bunch of docys... holds up fine in a big theater. Workflow is easy: find a second of clean tone, between words or after a question or "Action". Generate 10 seconds or so of new BG. Use it like you'd use a production tone recording... except, since it's from the nearby line, it usually matches better than a production recording when everybody's trying to strike.

(*I wrote the plug-in for Mac when it was happy with 32-bit software. But there are a few 64-bit workarounds, including one for Windows, on the plug-in's page.)
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Exactly Jay, I've been using convolution to do it for years. But even that can sound too static sometimes. When possible I like to find production fill and clean it up in RX Spectral edit. So it still breathes but matches perfectly.
Old 27th January 2020
Lives for gear

it would have to have automatable rooomtone sample to use it in a feature film
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
it would have to have automatable rooomtone sample to use it in a feature film
Hey cebolao,

It auto–fills your edited “black” with audio of your choice, usually production tone you’ve topped and tailed in the plug–in itself. Since the resulting content is in a track, it can be automated along with the rest of the track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search