The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AVID MTRX studio
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
AVID MTRX studio

This will be a huge succes in the post market:

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-mtrx-studio


http://www.avidblogs.com/pro-tools-mtrx-studio/

MSRP: 4999 USD

Last edited by Jamie Mac; 4 weeks ago at 05:07 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

OK not to be immediately negative but...

Still no direct USB / Thunderbolt connection. Sill relying on Diglink. So imagine you have a new Mac Pro and want to run Native. They don't sell the HD Native PCIE card so you'd have to get the stupid Thunderbolt dongle box just to connect?

Still no built in video sync. Seriously it's not that hard.

I was really hoping for an all-in-one box. I can ignore the price compared to other interfaces, we're all used to the Avid tax. But if I were putting together a new system I'd still have to spring for the HD Native Thunderbolt and Sync HD. Instead of just buying this.

Am I looking at it all wrong? I do like the I/O and monitoring control.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
OK not to be immediately negative but...

Still no direct USB / Thunderbolt connection. Sill relying on Diglink. So imagine you have a new Mac Pro and want to run Native. They don't sell the HD Native PCIE card so you'd have to get the stupid Thunderbolt dongle box just to connect?

Still no built in video sync. Seriously it's not that hard.

I was really hoping for an all-in-one box. I can ignore the price compared to other interfaces, we're all used to the Avid tax. But if I were putting together a new system I'd still have to spring for the HD Native Thunderbolt and Sync HD. Instead of just buying this.

Am I looking at it all wrong? I do like the I/O and monitoring control.
Yep. I wanted this to have Thunderbolt 3. But can we connect a Mac to this with Dante directly, and get all the features (except zero latency) while ignoring the Digilink port? Perhaps someone with an original MTRX can answer this question.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
OK not to be immediately negative but...

Still no direct USB / Thunderbolt connection. Sill relying on Diglink. So imagine you have a new Mac Pro and want to run Native. They don't sell the HD Native PCIE card so you'd have to get the stupid Thunderbolt dongle box just to connect?

Still no built in video sync. Seriously it's not that hard.

I was really hoping for an all-in-one box. I can ignore the price compared to other interfaces, we're all used to the Avid tax. But if I were putting together a new system I'd still have to spring for the HD Native Thunderbolt and Sync HD. Instead of just buying this.

Am I looking at it all wrong? I do like the I/O and monitoring control.
I'm not sure, but couldn't you just run it off Dante if you don't want to use HDn or HDX?

Compared to the bigger MTRX unit, this offers a a ton of what is otherwise a huge additional cost in all those optional cards for the same price as the empty base unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I'm not sure, but couldn't you just run it off Dante if you don't want to use HDn or HDX?

Compared to the bigger MTRX unit, this offers a a ton of what is otherwise a huge additional cost in all those optional cards for the same price as the empty base unit.
Strong agree, for the price you’re getting a lot. DI inputs on the front seems very... quixotic. Maybe there’s a ton of people with music project studios wanting to get into 9.1.4?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Fred Pearson's Avatar
 

Agreed. This looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
FYI: a MTRX with the same IO and speaker card will set you back almost 17000 usd.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
FYI: a MTRX with the same IO and speaker card will set you back almost 17000 usd.
True although the MTRX gives you AES 16ch and MADI 64ch too.

I'm definitely not spitting on the I/O on this thing especially if it's DAD designed. I just feel like there's a couple of little easily solved annoyances. Easy to complain on the internet
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Leverson's Avatar
Yeah this looks fantastic for smaller post studios. Eager to learn more. There were lots of new units with smaller or similar price points that had tons of I/O, but not also the SPQ functionality which is important. Then there is stuff like the Intonato which on paper looks like everything at a great price but I heard so many horror stories about poor functionality I eventually crossed it off my list. This is still a touch pricey, but I love everything you get for that price point and it’s FAR more affordable than the big MTRX/DAD box loaded with the cards you’d need. I’m excited by this announcement, but look forward to people further discussing its pros and cons on here.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I'm not sure, but couldn't you just run it off Dante if you don't want to use HDn or HDX?

Will it run stand-alone without a card-connection? I mean can you just use it via Dante and no PT-mothership connected via Digilink and still control the SPQ and monitor matrix?

that would be interesting. Way better than USB or TB that can't be extended.

So basically:

Mac with DVS -> network cable->MTRXStudio and no other connection? How you control the speaker matrix?

I'd be very surprised if that is a working option. Crossing fingers.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Will it run stand-alone without a card-connection? I mean can you just use it via Dante and no PT-mothership connected via Digilink and still control the SPQ and monitor matrix?

that would be interesting. Way better than USB or TB that can't be extended.

So basically:

Mac with DVS -> network cable->MTRXStudio and no other connection? How you control the speaker matrix?

I'd be very surprised if that is a working option. Crossing fingers.
Theoretically, PT will just see the DVS and the MTRX Studio matrix is handled via DADMan?

Except without Digilink PT can't tell it which sync source to use and report latency correctly?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Theoretically, PT will just see the DVS and the MTRX Studio matrix is handled via DADMan?

Except without Digilink PT can't tell it which sync source to use and report latency correctly?
well yes, sync and all that is impossible anyway without a PT card and sync HD.

But that set aside I wonder how DADman speaks to the thing via audinate card?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
well yes, sync and all that is impossible anyway without a PT card and sync HD.

But that set aside I wonder how DADman speaks to the thing via audinate card?
From the regular MTRX manual:

MTRX is a remote controlled unit. Use DADman software on your computer to configure and control MTRX units over Ethernet. However, some controls can be accessed from the MTRX front panel.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Yep. I wanted this to have Thunderbolt 3. But can we connect a Mac to this with Dante directly, and get all the features (except zero latency) while ignoring the Digilink port? Perhaps someone with an original MTRX can answer this question.
Yes, you can do this with the original MTRX. It can run completely standalone.

To speak to the larger issue, this has to be able to run standalone. You can't have a monitoring system that only works when hooked to a specific DAW and DADman works independent of Pro Tools (so the interface has to be in a workable mode even when not connected.)

Digilink ports are just seen as additional I/O in the routing matrix of the MTRX.
As for sync, since it uses DADman, it will probably have the same options for clocking. Pretty much any digital signal (which I'm including HDX under digital as well as the Dante drop down menus that appear with the module) or word clock.

This unit can't be using DADman unless it is significantly the same as the real MTRX. Otherwise they'd have to come out with a specialized version. There are things DADman takes care of that just work and breaking the way that works would create massive differences.

(and DADman is ethernet based -- with the Dante module, the two ports act like a small ethernet hub so one from that "hub" is connected to the Audinate chips for Dante; from the external of the box it just looks like an ethernet port in that respect)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Thanks pentagon for the analysis. I suspected that was the case. After spending $5k, another $1k for an HD Native Thunderbolt box is not a big deal, but if it can be avoided...

And hey, this looks way better than the big MTRX!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

This thing is a game changer for me, I want/need to move to Atmos and was going thru all the intense calculations for IO, monitor control and DSP correction and this thing just solved all that. The fact I can also run DVS/Dante to it as well is outstanding.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
soundboy's Avatar
Don’t you need to be able to send out 128 channels to render Atmos mixes?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Yes, you can do this with the original MTRX. It can run completely standalone.

To speak to the larger issue, this has to be able to run standalone. You can't have a monitoring system that only works when hooked to a specific DAW and DADman works independent of Pro Tools (so the interface has to be in a workable mode even when not connected.)

Digilink ports are just seen as additional I/O in the routing matrix of the MTRX.
As for sync, since it uses DADman, it will probably have the same options for clocking. Pretty much any digital signal (which I'm including HDX under digital as well as the Dante drop down menus that appear with the module) or word clock.

This unit can't be using DADman unless it is significantly the same as the real MTRX. Otherwise they'd have to come out with a specialized version. There are things DADman takes care of that just work and breaking the way that works would create massive differences.

(and DADman is ethernet based -- with the Dante module, the two ports act like a small ethernet hub so one from that "hub" is connected to the Audinate chips for Dante; from the external of the box it just looks like an ethernet port in that respect)
This page says it does use DADman,

https://www.avid.com/-/media/avid/fi...20200106162252

but now I am curious how that works, as you point out, the MTRX unit has a Network port devoted for Control via DADman, but I don't see how that is happening on the MTRX Studio. Maybe over the Digilink port? Or on the 2nd Ethernet port?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
This page says it does use DADman,

https://www.avid.com/-/media/avid/fi...20200106162252

but now I am curious how that works, as you point out, the MTRX unit has a Network port devoted for Control via DADman, but I don't see how that is happening on the MTRX Studio. Maybe over the Digilink port? Or on the 2nd Ethernet port?
Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. The MTRX does NOT have a dedicated Dante or Control ethernet. They are one and the same. Internally, the ethernet ports act just like a network switch. The second ethernet port is connected to the same internal network switch. It is a fallback/safety/redundancy (either of them will serve that purpose.)

Pretty much plug into either ethernet port and on the Studio you'll get DADman control and Dante; on the regular MTRX (if you have the Dante module installed internally) you'll get the exact same thing of DADman control and Dante from one ethernet port

Last edited by pentagon; 4 weeks ago at 12:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. The MTRX does NOT have a dedicated Dante or Control ethernet. They are one and the same. Internally, the ethernet ports act just like a network switch. The second ethernet port is connected to the same internal network switch. It is a fallback/safety/redundancy (either of them will be serve that purpose.)

Pretty much plug into either ethernet port and on the Studio you'll get DADman control and Dante; on the regular MTRX (if you have the Dante module installed internally) you'll get the exact same thing of DADman control and Dante from one ethernet port
Ah, makes sense now. I recently set up a loaded MTRX and used the network port only for DADman control, as we installed the Dual Dante Module in one of the slots. Whilst the unit was connected via Digilink to an HDX card.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Don’t you need to be able to send out 128 channels to render Atmos mixes?
It’s not obligatory, the implication does seem to be that you’ll only be able to send 64 bed+object channels to the RMU. Which maybe for a bunch a people might be enough? I guess I’m not using more than 64 on my current show mostly because I have limited time...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Ah, makes sense now. I recently set up a loaded MTRX and used the network port only for DADman control, as we installed the Dual Dante Module in one of the slots. Whilst the unit was connected via Digilink to an HDX card.
I guess I'll wait till we know for sure if this more interesting mode is possible:

No digilink connection at all but still controllable routing, patching, speaker EQ and monitor control.

Probably a good moment to sell those 8x8x8 and 16x16x16 :-D

Last edited by apple-q; 4 weeks ago at 02:45 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Wonder if avid will let you use 2 of these on an hdx 2 system or is it like an Omni, one per daw?? If you can have 2, you can do the 128 channels for Atmos.

Last edited by brandoncross; 4 weeks ago at 06:34 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
matt82aust's Avatar
 

Could you use the Dolby core audio bridge for 128 channels and this as the playback device ?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #26
Gear Addict
 

Biggest advantage to this is the built in monitor controller/SPQ stuff - the perfect upgrade from a 5.1/Omni system to Atmos in my case. Maybe I'm weird but I don't mind the digilink thing (I don't mind ilok either...), a lot of people dumping the TB Native boxes on eBay last year so swapped my pci card for very cheap and I must say protools (in my experience) runs better with a digi interface
Old 4 weeks ago
  #27
Gear Addict
 
RecRoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Could you use the Dolby core audio bridge for 128 channels and this as the playback device ?
That is true, but I'm guessing a lot of people are using external RMUs.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 

The MADI I/O would probably work as well.

If one isn't finaling, using the local renderer workflow or the Dolby Audio Bridge would probably work well.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Wonder if avid will let you use 2 of these on an hdx 2 system or is it like an Omni, one per daw?? If you can have 2, you can do the 128 channels for Atmos.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
The MADI I/O would probably work as well.

If one isn't finaling, using the local renderer workflow or the Dolby Audio Bridge would probably work well.

Randall
No MADI with this one though, only on the big MTRX.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #30
Here for the gear
 

With HDX 2, I would assume one could connect Avid MADI to the second HDX card.
Would then be possible to send 64 channels MADI and 64 channels Dante to the RMU?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump