The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo as Atmos controller?
Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Hey Nathaniel, You couldn't go into specifics on how your system is set up, could you? How are you outputting all 12 channels? How does the MH integrate with Eucon? are you able to use it in the Avid Control App? What about Pros and cons vs the MTRX Studio?

BTW: Pix or it didn't happen!
Alright, alright, since you asked, you can find out how truly ghetto my home setup is. I do have access to some nice NYC studios, but for the home work:

Mac Pro 6,1 โ€“ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020
Avid S3/Dock โ€“ Eucon 2020
Dolby Atmos Production Suite 3.4
AJA T-Tap to Hitachi TV
Metric Halo LIO-8 AES outputs to JBL LSR4300 5.1 system (4328Ps, and 4312 sub) and analog outputs to (6) Genelec 8040As (side surrounds, and four overheads).

My situation is unique because I'm doing hybrid analog/digital, so the LIO-8 really suited my studio. MIO software (Metric Halo software) is set up with 7.1.4 monitoring, with trims for each speaker (analog or digital). As you can see from earlier in this thread, I built my own bass management out of modules in the LIO's B-chain section. Eucon Assign tab has Pro Tools for Surface and Transport, and MIO for Monitor and Control Room. This puts level and mute on the Eucon surface, but unfortunately not dim or talkback or alternate source selection (but I could see MH adding that in the future).

Pros:
-inexpensive
-fully native
-highly customizable
-optional MADI card

Cons:
-no Digilink
-not as deeply integrated with Eucon as DADman

Unknowns:
-connection to an Atmos RMU (sticking with in the box Atmos for now)

Discoveries:
-Cotytech ceiling speaker mounts are strong and 1/10th the price of Genelec's!

I'll get a picture up here or on Facebook as soon as I get some cooler lighting and neaten up the cable runs. My room is an irregular shape, but roughly 15โ€™ wide, 14โ€™ deep, 13โ€™ ceilings.

Last edited by NReichman; 17th June 2020 at 08:14 PM..
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
BTW: Pix or it didn't happen!
I have accepted your challenge. And Pro Tools Expert helped me dress it up:

Using Metric Halo Interfaces To Create A Low Cost Dolby Atmos Monitor Controller

Enjoy.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
I have accepted your challenge. And Pro Tools Expert helped me dress it up:

Using Metric Halo Interfaces To Create A Low Cost Dolby Atmos Monitor Controller

Enjoy.
Awesome Nathaniel!
Exactly the opposite of what we have here. Love your ingenuity!
The fact that you have to be creative and really look into alternative solutions that provide a lot of bang for the buck is exactly the reason why I look at freelance experience when hiring.

When you've spent your whole career in a corporate environment where you don't (and sometimes aren't even allowed) to do anything besides mixing because there is a dedicated tech team, a dedicated facilities team, it can make one really dependent on these and stifle creativity and universality.
Of course there are advantages too.
๐Ÿ“ Reply