The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Atmos single-system Player-Recorder workflow
Old 15th December 2019
Atmos single-system Player-Recorder workflow

It happens that I’m going to be doing an Atmos mix at the end of the month in a room with an RMU but no recorder, just a player that doubles as the recorder. Can someone walk me through the block diagram and workflow for how I should set this up? Beds seems relatively simple but I can’t figure out how object record tracks would work.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your looking for and I only have experience with the Home Theater RMU -but in the RMU you can assign objects and beds to "Groups". Then you can set up Re-Renders for each group. The Re-renders can be "live" meaning they will return on the RMU outputs selected. Output 23 is where they start by default on the HTRMU. I use a feed of the 5.1 folddown for a program loudness meter and also have stereo stems/splits returning so i can provide WIP versions of the folddowns.
You can also have some re-renders set as offline so that after the Atmos master is printed in the RMU you can export the re-renders in 1 go. We have it set to export 7.1, 5.1 and stereo mix and splits for everything. If you wanted the beds and objects to be separate files you can do that too, or you can do it both ways. I don't know if the Cinema RMU works in the same fashion but its a smooth easy process in the HTRMU once set up correctly.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
It happens that I’m going to be doing an Atmos mix at the end of the month in a room with an RMU but no recorder, just a player that doubles as the recorder. Can someone walk me through the block diagram and workflow for how I should set this up? Beds seems relatively simple but I can’t figure out how object record tracks would work.
why would you want to record the object tracks separately?
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Pro Tools sessions are a requirement for delivery in many cases.

You can, if you feel like it, record an .ADM WAV from your mix session into the RMU. You can re-import the ADM WAV into a clean Pro Tools session and it will give you the clean 128 channel ATMOS delivery with Beds and Objects split, retaining the metadata.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
why would you want to record the object tracks separately?
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post

You can, if you feel like it, record an .ADM WAV from your mix session into the RMU. You can re-import the ADM WAV into a clean Pro Tools session and it will give you the clean 128 channel ATMOS delivery with Beds and Objects split, retaining the metadata.

Randall
Yeah thats the way to do it if you need to deliver "printed" objects. It keeps the object panning data in the newly created ProTools session and gives you the beds split out on 7.1.2 tracks.
Old 17th December 2019
This seems like the best solution. I don’t have to deliver a session with object pans in this case, but I was kinda wondering if it was possible to do the whole Atmos-PEC/Direct recorder workflow with one machine (answer seems to be no)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post

Randall
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

I use the home theater RMU software on the same machine as my Pro Tools, and capture my mix into the RMU software. I’m using the Dolby Audio Bridge to connect to the RMU, then the RMU connects to my interface. It works great, but does use a lot of resources on my Mac. I’m going to look into using a second Mac for the RMU software, perhaps connected with Dante Virtual SoundCard.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Just learned that Dante Virtual Soundcard won't work, as it needs a clock source like an audio interface. It won't do computer-to-computer.
📝 Reply