The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transient shaper for Foley and SFX
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Transient shaper for Foley and SFX

Good day! I searched for the appropriate topic in this section, but did not find it.

Share your experience using Transient Shaper for Foley and SFX. Do you always add transients to highlight foley? For example, handling the whole Foley Bus.

I watched this video, what can you say? I learned a lot thanks to Marcelo Cyro from Brazil.

I noticed that some transient shapers bring their color to Foley not for the better. I notice this in Neutron 2. Perhaps this is its feature. And is it always necessary? In different films, everything sounds different. What tools do you use?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
I actually use them a lot, but the OTHER way round. I use Envelope Shaper in Nuendo, or Trans-X Multi in PT to kill transients on lots of Foley that I want to integrate better with production sound.
I rarely use them to add transients.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
I actually use them a lot, but the OTHER way round. I use Envelope Shaper in Nuendo, or Trans-X Multi in PT to kill transients on lots of Foley that I want to integrate better with production sound.
You and me both Steven.
Current film project actually had me do both. Adding in a few places but mostly making the transients softer.
I use the standard one in Nuendo. It works well for this imo. But perhaps the four band one would be better.
Old 3 weeks ago
I never used transient designer for that purpose. I'll try it. But most of the time when it doesn't want to sound right with the production sound I'll use rx de-clicker to trow that hi part of the transients out and then it will blend better with little bit of some reverb.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Some time, adding transients works great on PFX, to bring them to the foreground. Little bit more attack, little less release, and voilà.
On foley, like Steven said, I usually try to reduce the transients to match the production sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I prefer using clipgain and drawing down the peaks even if it takes more time. You never have to worry about dynamics thresholds painting you in the corner when you decide to rise or lower the volume of the mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've never had to use it on foley in particular but if you want a transient designer recommendation, the SPL one works great:
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...gner_plus.html

Great for busy fight scenes or guns to poke out in a mix
Old 2 weeks ago
I use Sonnox Transmod to knock off the transients in the same way as Steven describes. I find I use it almost always with feet, cuts the edge from them so they sit in the mix more ‘realistically’.

I tried the other more complex sonnox transient shaper which allows shaping via frequency, but it was more complex than I need. Dialled in Transmod is a simple fader which works well for me in most situations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i use plugin alliance elysia nvelope

it is on all my footsteps tracks, enabled

it is also on all my props tracks in bypass

so i can alway bypass footsteps when needed (very rarely, usually outdoor grassy stuff), or enable it on props (quite often)
Old 1 week ago
Last year I started using the iZotope transient shaper (part of neutron) to tame transients on Foley Footsteps and it was a GAMECHANGER...
I have one on each channel of my FS... really takes the edge off, and I feel I have better control than with a compressor.

Footsteps were easily the weakest part of my mixing, but I am way more confident now that I can get them to do what I want.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

need to do the comparison one day - neotron vs elysia vs maybe spl
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventeck View Post
Last year I started using the iZotope transient shaper (part of neutron) to tame transients on Foley Footsteps and it was a GAMECHANGER...
I have one on each channel of my FS... really takes the edge off, and I feel I have better control than with a compressor.

Footsteps were easily the weakest part of my mixing, but I am way more confident now that I can get them to do what I want.
exactly the same experience. gamechanger.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I think transient shapers are great for anything that needs control of attack part, either in foley, SFX or in music. Sometimes it really helps to use them before any compression, or as @ yazoo already wrote - "clipping" plugins are also great to control the situation.

My favourite one is Transient Master from NI, but it's mostly because I'm using it for years, so I always reach for it because I know it well. Stock Envelope Shaper in Cubase is also killer IMHO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search