The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing Speakers in Surround Setup
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Mixing Speakers in Surround Setup

Hey all,

tl;dr: Any problems mixing Genelec 8040s with 8010s in a 5.1 setup?

Soz if this has been asked before, difficult to know the wording to search.

I make music for things and occasionally mix in surround but always borrowed someone else's set up to do so. Now I'd like to make sure I have my own 5.1 environment so looking to get the speakers. I'll still only be doing the occasional surround mix.

I currently use a pair of active Genelec 8040s as my main speakers and I'm thinking of getting 3 lil' active 8010s for C, rL & rR.

I don't reaaaaally see why this'd present much of a problem but thought I'd get some thoughts from the slutties.

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You want your front to sound the same across the board. If you have to make a compromise make sure your LCR are the same speakers. Your Ls Rs can be smaller but again should be the same type on both sides.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I totally agree with apple-q. If you have different speakers LCR, then the balance between the center speaker against the L/R will be skewed and that's very important to 5.1 mixing. If money is a big factor, I would make sure the front 3 are matched and the larger speakers then plan to upgrade your rears down the road.

I'll admit there was a time when I hack-mixed 5.1 (basically only doing the mix LCR) but usually I was predubbing at home then taking it to a studio for a day where I could do global changes to the rears, if needed. But that only works for a really simple project - like, where there's a 5.1 delivery spec but not a lot to put in the rears (you're not flying things around the room and only upmixing music tracks or background sound fx) - those are the types of mixes where you can get away with it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for that, guys.

I'll be sure to get an 8040 for the centre, then. Rears, I'll go for 8010s.

Money is a concern but it's mostly space and atmos I'm trying to save.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search