The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio/business question: charging extra for "better" soft copies?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Studio/business question: charging extra for "better" soft copies?

Someone I know recorded an album at a studio. They are willing to give him MP3s of his stuff, but said they would charge extra for a better format like WAVs or FLAC. Is this some standard practice? I found it shall we say curious.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Sounds weird
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Has she paid her bill in full yet? If she has then she gets full bandwidth hifi files. If not then they get demo quality files until they do pay.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Did your friend hire [and already pay] the studio? Or were they just performing on the session?
It's common for studios to make courtesy low-res copies of material at a reduced fee or for free, if the session owner doesn't object.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Pretty sure they paid but will double-check. I would think when all is said and done one would get WAV or FLAC copies of the songs
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Pretty sure they paid but will double-check. I would think when all is said and done one would get WAV or FLAC copies of the songs
If they didn't pay yet, the studio doesn't owe them anything. If they have paid, it's usual for the payer to get a full res master... but everything is subject to the original agreement between producer and studio. They might have gotten in on a special demo rate that only includes an mp3.

That's why unless the producer and studio know each other well and have worked together before, everything's in writing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search