The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a mix stage in New York
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Need a mix stage in New York

I searched for few previous posts here but still feel I can ask for another advise:-)

I need a medium size 5.1 mixing stage in New York preferably with D-Command console. Most probably for the beginning of January. I will mix it myself.

Any leads would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I need a medium size 5.1 mixing stage in New York preferably with D-Command console. Most probably for the beginning of January.
No experience or link with them, but www.giganticstudios.com is where I would look first.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
No experience or link with them, but www.giganticstudios.com is where I would look first.

Greetings,

Thierry
Yes I checked them out. Interesting that even google search returns with not many results. It seems that since SoundOne has been closed some time ago, there are not too many options in NY.

BTW: I see you are from Brussels...I used to mix a film in "studio l'equipe" so looking for something like their D2 studio but in NY :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Yes I checked them out. Interesting that even google search returns with not many results. It seems that since SoundOne has been closed some time ago, there are not too many options in NY.

BTW: I see you are from Brussels...I used to mix a film in "studio l'equipe" so looking for something like their D2 studio but in NY :-)
Real estate prices have made it next to impossible to keep a big stage or music studio running in Manhattan.
There's also https://www.wbsound.com/new-york/ you can check. This used to be Digital Cinema owned by Bill Marino and Ken Hahn before they sold to WB (They still have Sync Sound AFAIK).. I visited this place during one of the AES conferences and they have a nice big mixstage, more the size of studios D1 and D2 at l'Equipe here in Brussels. It's probably the only place in Manhattan where you can find a stage this tall.
During what period did you work at Equipe? The last film I mixed there must have been around 2010. Last thing I heard was they were upgrading the D-Command to S6 in D2.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
Real estate prices have made it next to impossible to keep a big stage or music studio running in Manhattan.
There's also https://www.wbsound.com/new-york/ you can check. This used to be Digital Cinema owned by Bill Marino and Ken Hahn before they sold to WB (They still have Sync Sound AFAIK).. I visited this place during one of the AES conferences and they have a nice big mixstage, more the size of studios D1 and D2 at l'Equipe here in Brussels. It's probably the only place in Manhattan where you can find a stage this tall.
During what period did you work at Equipe? The last film I mixed there must have been around 2010. Last thing I heard was they were upgrading the D-Command to S6 in D2.

Greetings,

Thierry
Thanks for the link. I mixed at Equipe 6 years ago. I remember at the time they installed Atmos setup in their bigger room.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Hello Michael:

There are actually a lot of options in the size category you're looking for. At the risk of advertising the competition, I would take a look at the following:

Harbor
Soundtrack Group
Technicolor Postworks
Gigantic

Gramercy Post had a beautiful room that closed recently. I liked working there when I could. Harbor is likely the flagship in NY, but Soundtrack has a stellar reputation and hosts some of the legendary mixers. I was at Postworks the other day and really enjoyed one of their Atmos D-Command rooms. If you move down from "medium" sized, there are even more options.

Good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Wilburguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I searched for few previous posts here but still feel I can ask for another advise:-)

I need a medium size 5.1 mixing stage in New York preferably with D-Command console. Most probably for the beginning of January. I will mix it myself.

Any leads would be welcome. Thanks!
https://www.goldcrestpostny.com
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Hello Michael:

There are actually a lot of options in the size category you're looking for. At the risk of advertising the competition, I would take a look at the following:

Harbor
Soundtrack Group
Technicolor Postworks
Gigantic

Gramercy Post had a beautiful room that closed recently. I liked working there when I could. Harbor is likely the flagship in NY, but Soundtrack has a stellar reputation and hosts some of the legendary mixers. I was at Postworks the other day and really enjoyed one of their Atmos D-Command rooms. If you move down from "medium" sized, there are even more options.

Good luck!
Thanks allot Nathaniel. It is very helpful!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Another place to check out is stringandcan.com

I have sent mixers over there for overflow when our facility was booked out, they are very nice and the rooms are comfy and have D Commands

Benny Mouthon is my contact there.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Holland View Post
Another place to check out is stringandcan.com

I have sent mixers over there for overflow when our facility was booked out, they are very nice and the rooms are comfy and have D Commands

Benny Mouthon is my contact there.
It seems like a very nice place. Thanks allot Max! I will check them out.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

There’s also Soundlounge
https://soundlounge.com/work/

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
There’s also Soundlounge
https://soundlounge.com/work/

-Mike
Thank you Mike. But I can't find pictures of their mix stage...just smaller rooms.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Addict
 
RecRoom's Avatar
As Mike mentioned, Sound Lounge has a nice big 7.1 mix room.

Link to pictures:

https://soundlounge.com/what-we-do/#Film
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dr.sound's Avatar
 

Here is a great stage :
http://rumbleaudio.com/

Tell Ryan I sent you!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Here is a great stage :
http://rumbleaudio.com/

Tell Ryan I sent you!
Ha, it looks very similar to my stage...thought to find something bigger. Thanks Marti
Old 6 days ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Gramercy Post had a beautiful room that closed recently. I liked working there when I could. Harbor is likely the flagship in NY, but Soundtrack has a stellar reputation and hosts some of the legendary mixers. I was at Postworks the other day and really enjoyed one of their Atmos D-Command rooms. If you move down from "medium" sized, there are even more options.

Good luck!
Just want to set the record straight and say we're still here, alive and well!! We have two 5.1 rooms but both are currently oriented more toward commercial/TV, and likely smaller than you're looking for. Gigantic and Rumble are both super solid bets in my book.
Old 6 days ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
As Mike mentioned, Sound Lounge has a nice big 7.1 mix room.

Link to pictures:

https://soundlounge.com/what-we-do/#Film
Thanks for the link, Jeff!

Our room is great!
(our website is trash!)

hit me up for more details: major at soundlounge dot com
Old 2 days ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy post View Post
Just want to set the record straight and say we're still here, alive and well!! We have two 5.1 rooms but both are currently oriented more toward commercial/TV, and likely smaller than you're looking for. Gigantic and Rumble are both super solid bets in my book.
Hey Gramercy Post: Apologies! I think I actually knew this, but didn't realize that the name GPS was remaining along with Hogarth. Is that right?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump