The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MTRX connectivity issue
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MTRX connectivity issue

Any MTRX s6 guys out there? I posted this on DUC but no traction.
I have just added a MTRX to my set up.
Its a trashcan 12 core running 13.6
Latest protools.
latest HDX driver
Latest MTRX firmware
Latest dadman

I have a Magma TB2 3T chassis with 2 HDX cards.
I have no experience with the MTRX so im not sure what's normal and what's not.

when I open DADman it finds the unit no problem. However, in the configuration panel Its showing up as "digilink" . My options are to run primary 32x32
that's it. In videos, I've seen it shows up as Protools HD and you have the option to run it as HD i/o or 16x16.
In ProTools I go to hardware setup and it just says this device is managed by dadman.
In videos, I can see that it shows up as a HD I/O and you can configure.

It will not send any signals out.

All cards installed say OK. Digitest runs fine as long as MTRX isn't attached. which is normal.
Opened a support case but Avid is pretty slow about helping.
Sweetwater doesn't really seem to be knowledgable or responsive in these situations.
Out of options.

Last edited by HoPMiX; 3 weeks ago at 11:07 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I will attempt to help you out. I am going to assume that you are using this as both a monitor device and pro tools interface.

It sounds like you are connected. You can verify this by going under the Device list window.

You need to set up a monitor Profile that matches the speaker layout in your room.

I have mine setup in the Conf tab as PT HD Mode: 2xPri, MTRX 32x32, MTRX 32x32
And sampling adapts to Pro Tools.

I am running a slightly out of date software/firmware combo on this, so the naming might have changed.

Have you tried any of the above?

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
Any MTRX s6 guys out there? I posted this on DUC but no traction.
I have just added a MTRX to my set up.
Its a trashcan 12 core running 13.6
Latest protools.
latest HDX driver
Latest MTRX firmware
Latest dadman

I have a Magma TB2 3T chassis with 2 HDX cards.
I have no experience with the MTRX so im not sure whats normal and whats not.

when I open DADman it find the unit no problem. However in the configuration panel Its showing up as "digilink" . My options are to run primary 32x32
thats it. In all guides and all videos ive seen it shows up as Protools HD and you ahve the option to run it as HD i/o or 16x16.
In protools I go to hardware setup and it just says this device is managed by dadman.
In videos I can see that it shows up like a HD I/O and you can configure.

It will not send any signals out.

All cards installed say OK. Digitest runs fine as long as MTRX isn't attached. which is normal.
Opened a support case but Avid is pretty slow about helping.
Sweetwater doesn't really seem to be knowledgable or responsive in these situations.
Out of options.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok so Im realizing that what Im seeing is actually how the MTRX behaves so thats a step in some direction. I swear I saw a video from westlake that showed the MTRX showing up under protools as a HD I/O..
Sweetwaters tech just logged in to my system and confirmed its set up correctly but not working.

I cannot get any signal out of the matrix. I can even send signal to the D/A and lights are flickering on the MTRX but there are no meters in DADman.
I select Digilink main 1-2 and route that to AES out (I have genelec sam over AES) or analog to my NS-10's and nothing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

managed to get Signal out of AES by resetting the MTRX. However dadman is still unresponsive. No meters internally. Switching anything does nothing and my AES inputs all have red triangles next to them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
managed to get Signal out of AES by resetting the MTRX. However dadman is still unresponsive. No meters internally. Switching anything does nothing and my AES inputs all have red triangles next to them.
red triangles means that signal connected is not there or not sync.
How did you clock everything?
Do you have a Dante card in the MTRX?

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
red triangles means that signal connected is not there or not sync.
How did you clock everything?
Do you have a Dante card in the MTRX?

Greetings,

Thierry
I do have a Dante card.
Essentially after resetting to factory, Uninstalling everything, Updating firmware on HDX cards, I've got everything working. However DADman is still unresponsive. If I send a signal to the A/D I get indicators on the MTRX but no meters in DADman. I get no Meters to the control room tab when sending anything out.
Its strange.

For the sake of the thread here is a screenshot of the video that had me thinking I was setting this up wrong. My config tab showed PT HD when I first installed then went away when I updated Protools.
DadMan hasn't been the same since.. Operation Manual
SS 1

ss_2

Also if you see Page 23 of the operation guide it shows options that I don't have.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...uide_18.11.pdf
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I do have a Dante card.
...My config tab showed PT HD when I first installed then went away when I updated Protools.
DadMan hasn't been the same since..
Couple of things:
How are things set up in the Sync page of DADman
The SS1 and SS2 you sent are the same as in my setup; you should see HD I/O #xx in the peripherals of you PT system.

I'm using an AX32, which is basically the same as the MTRX.

If you have communication issues between DADman and the MTRX and have a Dante card in the MTRX, the first thing I would suggest is taking out the Dante card and see if that changes things. I'm using the AX32 since 2017 and had intermittent issues with sudden communication drops between DADman and AX32, that were very difficult to investigate, because they would happen sometimes multiple times during a day and sometimes not during a week.
I have been in communication with DAD about this and they have been very helpful, but these sort of intermittent issues are difficult. At one point the Dante card came up in the discussion. When there is a bad contact or problem with the Dante card, all sorts of weird ethernet issues can happen. My dealer send me a spare Dante card to try and the weird issues went away (followed by another Dante issue, but that's another story). So you might try taking the Dante card out and see what happens.
Of course your problem could be completely different. Talk to your dealer and DAD. They will certainly help.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you should see HD I/O #xx in the peripherals of you PT system.

I'm using an AX32, which is basically the same as the MTRX.
The MTRX shows up as a MTRX in recent versions of Pro Tools (since 2018.12 I think). Both in the Hardware screen and the Hardware I/O screen at top. Avid added the delay values for the MTRX to Pro Tools so it no longer needs to emulate the signal delay values of the HD I/O or the HD MADI (which it used to have to emulate by choice in DADman.) And the MTRX natively has less delay than both of them.

(one of the differences now between the AX32 and MTRX now. Also, the AX32 doesn't get the option of additional digilink cards which the recent version of DADman and firmware made adjustments for)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
The MTRX shows up as a MTRX in recent versions of Pro Tools (since 2018.12 I think). Both in the Hardware screen and the Hardware I/O screen at top. Avid added the delay values for the MTRX to Pro Tools so it no longer needs to emulate the signal delay values of the HD I/O or the HD MADI ...
Thanks, I didn’t know that. It makes totally sense to include those better delay values though. I wish Avid would make the AX32 compatible as well, but that will probably never happen...

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, I didn’t know that. It makes totally sense to include those better delay values though. I wish Avid would make the AX32 compatible as well, but that will probably never happen...

Greetings,

Thierry
I think it is about the DAD/Avid agreement for distribution/re-branding. The slightly different firmware handshake to the Pro Tools system is how the units are read. They should really find a way to grandfather in AX32 with digilink connectors. We have a few mixed systems at the studio (AX32 units bought before there was the MTRX and then MTRX units afterward.) It's annoying if hardware gets swapped around. Or at least allow the AX32 to "emulate" the MTRX as an option. I know that before the MTRX option was available in Pro Tools the HD MADI emulation for the port had considerably less delay than the HD I/O emulation. (Also made more sense in the I/O setup window since both the HD MADI and MTRX present as 64 input/output.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
I think it is about the DAD/Avid agreement for distribution/re-branding. The slightly different firmware handshake to the Pro Tools system is how the units are read. They should really find a way to grandfather in AX32 with digilink connectors. We have a few mixed systems at the studio (AX32 units bought before there was the MTRX and then MTRX units afterward.) It's annoying if hardware gets swapped around. Or at least allow the AX32 to "emulate" the MTRX as an option. I know that before the MTRX option was available in Pro Tools the HD MADI emulation for the port had considerably less delay than the HD I/O emulation. (Also made more sense in the I/O setup window since both the HD MADI and MTRX present as 64 input/output.)
I completely agree.
Also there's a weird sample offset between ch1-8 and 9-16 per 16 channels in the HD I/O emulation of the AX32. Probably because in the original HD I/O had ch9-16 as a sub connection.

Greetings,

Thierry
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search