The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
monitors for less than ideal mix room
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

monitors for less than ideal mix room

I'll be mixing a few projects at my place. For budget reasons, the client is not interested in renting a commercial studio.

As you can see on the rough floor plan, the space (basement), is less than ideal.

The height is my main concern, as for the rest, I think I can make it work. I have the choice of going 5.1 with JBL LSR 6328P + 6312P sub or 705i + 6312p sub or 708i + 6312P sub.

Which kit would you recommend and as for monitors placement is it bst to face the 22' or 11' wall?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
monitors for less than ideal mix room-rough-floor-plan.jpg   monitors for less than ideal mix room-open-ceiling.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

how about facing the upper left corner?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah--I'd set up with your back to the corners where the doors are to get some distance to your LCRs. I'd try to block off or stuff etc the dogleg of the room at the bottom side of your pic: machine room etc, then get busy with some bass traps.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Yeah--I'd set up with your back to the corners where the doors are to get some distance to your LCRs. I'd try to block off or stuff etc the dogleg of the room at the bottom side of your pic: machine room etc, then get busy with some bass traps.
This was my original plan but i was afraid the surround would be too close to the walls.

You would block/close off the L shape 10 x 10 space? I thought that opening might help, otherwise i will end up with a 22' x 11' room.

Any suggestions for best monitors between LSR6328p or 705i or 708i ?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
monitors for less than ideal mix room-img_1082.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
mpr
Lives for gear

Spending time exploring a few configurations is ideal IMO, but if I had to setup in that room for mixing in a pinch I would bring in Amphion One15s and setup facing the far left wall, with the open space behind my head then GIK trap all early reflection points including that low ceiling.

-Mark
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
My vote for setting up your screen and desk diagonally in that upper left corner, which would give your LCR the best chance of symmetry and imaging. And unless you can apply a heck of a lot of absorption, go nearfield. Not crappy 'nearfield' speakers like Auratones or NS10s, but the best speakers you can get, placed in the nearfield.

FWIW, I mixed stereo tv for ten years in a setup that was almost as asymmetrical as yours. JBL 4410s about 4' away. It wasn't pretty, but I got good imaging and a solid phantom center. Visiting clients were okay with it and everything translated nicely.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

agree with Mark here, Amphion One15 are an incredible mixtool in challenging rooms.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I will stick with the JBL for now as they translate very well to the big stage. Just unsure if the 705 can deliver the needed SPL.

Thank you all for your inputs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaboom View Post
I will stick with the JBL for now as they translate very well to the big stage. Just unsure if the 705 can deliver the needed SPL.

Thank you all for your inputs.
I would not recommend mixing at full 85 in that small room....
Old 3 days ago
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will stick with the JBL for now as they translate very well to the big stage.
Whats the big stage?

IMO Amphion speakers are on a different level than any JBL ive ever heard. This is a personal choice but you did ask!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Whats the big stage?

IMO Amphion speakers are on a different level than any JBL ive ever heard. This is a personal choice but you did ask!
He likely means a dub stage. Audio Post-production for film and Mastering music are different beasts.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Whats the big stage?

Actually my question was about the JBL 6328p, 705i or 708i. The Amphion do sound good and i'm sure they'll be fine but it's much easier for me to get the JBL in my area.

For small budget, a formula that has worked well for my clients is 4 days at my place and a day at the dub stage for final tweak. The LSR6328p have translated extremely well.

To answer my own question, i just tried the 705i, they sound great for the size and price but definitely need some help on the low end...will most likely go for the 28p.
Old 2 days ago
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually my question was about the JBL 6328p, 705i or 708i.
whoops i didn’t realize I was in the post production forum. I’ll go back to my corner now.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

708 for LCR and 705 for the surrounds. Works like a charm But you'll still need acoustic treatment of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search