The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Separate returns from Atmos production suite renderer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Separate returns from Atmos production suite renderer?

I've got the atmos production suite with pro tools but I'm a bit confused with how to have separate returns from the renderer. (I'm working in VR mode without an RMU, just monitoring in binaural for now.)

I've set up a couple objects, sent them to the renderer, and returned them to the "stereo return" track, with the return plugin set to "Headphone L". So far so good. However, all the objects are returning to this one return track. I'd like to assign different objects to different return tracks. I'm sure it must be possible and I'm guessing it has something to do with the renderer's output groups, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the renderer's output groups to the return plugin's assignment (e.g. re-render channel 1, re-render channel 2..). If I set it to anything other than "Headphone L", I don't get any sound.

The manual states that the pro tools templates supplied by Dolby do not include return tracks that route re-render outputs from the renderer and that these need to be created. But I can figure out how to link the two..

Am I way off here?

Last edited by M.L.; 4 weeks ago at 11:49 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Based on what you are describing you might need to do different things:

1.) Set up bed and object groups. This can be done in the Input Configuration page and the re-render configuration page. For the re-renders, set them to be Live re-renders

2.) Set up return plug ins/aux for each live re-render.

I could probably help out more if I had a better idea of what specifically you were aiming to accomplish...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L. View Post
I've got the atmos production suite with pro tools but I'm a bit confused with how to have separate returns from the renderer. (I'm working in VR mode without an RMU, just monitoring in binaural for now.)

I've set up a couple objects, sent them to the renderer, and returned them to the "stereo return" track, with the return plugin set to "Headphone L". So far so good. However, all the objects are returning to this one return track. I'd like to assign different objects to different return tracks. I'm sure it must be possible and I'm guessing it has something to do with the renderer's output groups, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the renderer's output groups to the return plugin's assignment (e.g. re-render channel 1, re-render channel 2..). If I set it to anything other than "Headphone L", I don't get any sound.

The manual states that the pro tools templates supplied by Dolby do not include return tracks that route re-render outputs from the renderer and that these need to be created. But I can figure out how to link the two..

Am I way off here?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Based on what you are describing you might need to do different things:

1.) Set up bed and object groups. This can be done in the Input Configuration page and the re-render configuration page. For the re-renders, set them to be Live re-renders

2.) Set up return plug ins/aux for each live re-render.

I could probably help out more if I had a better idea of what specifically you were aiming to accomplish...

Randall
Thanks, Randall. Yes, that sounds like what I need to do but I can't quite work it out. What I'm looking to accomplish is to have different single objects on separate tracks after they've returned from the renderer (for greater flexibility and mixing after the sounds have been panned by the renderer). For instance, have one aux track with the return plugin that receives one dialogue track, and another aux track that receives an "idle car" sound effect. Have them on different tracks AFTER being returned to pro tools by the atmos renderer. This seems possible because the return plugin has a dropdown list with "speaker channel 1", "speaker channel 2", etc. but I'm not sure how to assign, say, "speaker channel 1" to only the dialogue track in the renderer. Nothing I do in the renderer seems to affect the options in the return plugin's dropdown list. I've assigned the objects to two different groups on the input page, but I'm not sure how to make sure they're sent to different aux tracks after that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can't really do what you are asking to do.

You can take a group of tracks, assign them all to one group (Group A) and have the Local Renderer output a fold down 7.1.2 or lower of the group. You can't have it give just individual objects unless you assigned a different re-render group to each object.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L. View Post
Thanks, Randall. Yes, that sounds like what I need to do but I can't quite work it out. What I'm looking to accomplish is to have different single objects on separate tracks after they've returned from the renderer (for greater flexibility and mixing after the sounds have been panned by the renderer). For instance, have one aux track with the return plugin that receives one dialogue track, and another aux track that receives an "idle car" sound effect. Have them on different tracks AFTER being returned to pro tools by the atmos renderer. This seems possible because the return plugin has a dropdown list with "speaker channel 1", "speaker channel 2", etc. but I'm not sure how to assign, say, "speaker channel 1" to only the dialogue track in the renderer. Nothing I do in the renderer seems to affect the options in the return plugin's dropdown list. I've assigned the objects to two different groups on the input page, but I'm not sure how to make sure they're sent to different aux tracks after that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the only workaround for this would be to export the .atmos master as ADM WAV file and re-import it.
There you would have all objects on separate tracks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search