The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Alpha-Link SX versus DAD AX-32 AD Line Ins
Old 7th November 2019
SSL Alpha-Link SX versus DAD AX-32 AD Line Ins

Hey all,

I need another informed opinion before I go out on a spending spree:

I currently have an SSL Alpha-Link SX. I also have the DAD AX-32. How much better AD conversion does the DAD AX-32 Line Ins really provide? How quantifiable is it?

The dilemma is to either keep the SSL Alpha-Link SX (which actually offers 24 channels of AD conversion) and AES Out into the DAD AX-32 or put my eggs on one basket and get two Line In AD cards for the AX-32 (for 16 ins) but flog the SSL unit.

The main use is to feed a Marantz 7703 into the AX-32 for Dolby Atmos playback.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

there's quite a bit of a difference:

the sx-converters were originally designed by soundscape which got sold at least once before things landed at ssl and got re-branded.
ssl's own 16-channel mx-converters were a step up from the sx and their latest converters as used for their live desks are very good - as the dad converters!

the best thing about the old sx-converters imo was that they offered access to madi at reasonable prices - still ok if on a budget but i wouldn't wanna use them for tracking/mixing.

(studer, euphonix and rme here)
Old 8th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
there's quite a bit of a difference:

the sx-converters were originally designed by soundscape which got sold at least once before things landed at ssl and got re-branded.
ssl's own 16-channel mx-converters were a step up from the sx and their latest converters as used for their live desks are very good - as the dad converters!

the best thing about the old sx-converters imo was that they offered access to madi at reasonable prices - still ok if on a budget but i wouldn't wanna use them for tracking/mixing.

(studer, euphonix and rme here)
Got it. Thanks deedee.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search