The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Izotope Announcement
Old 26th October 2019
Izotope Announcement

Just got an email from Westlake Pro Audio.

There will be a demo of a new Izotope product aimed at post production dialogue.
Demo is 11.07.2019

Release is 11.05.2019, could this be RX8??
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear
Got this as well. Very curious.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Old 30th October 2019
LOVE IT........looking forward
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear
My guess is something along the lines of Auto Align Post for phase alignment and/or something that does sync matching like Vocalign or Revoice Pro. Seems like they could both be achieved in the same unit.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post
My guess is something along the lines of Auto Align Post for phase alignment and/or something that does sync matching like Vocalign or Revoice Pro. Seems like they could both be achieved in the same unit.
That would be awesome...
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

my guess is it's gonna be some sort of auto-eq matching for getting lavs/booms/adr sounding closer together.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear
They already have that. Although it could be improved.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Guru

I mean, I hope it's RX8 and not something else. It'd kind'a suck to get a separate product for dialog / production sound work for all of us who have invested in RX.

My hunch is improved AI and automated decision making. Sooner or later someone is going to link all of this to text files and producers / editors will be able to just type in new text and the changes in the script will be executed by RX (or whatever). It'll clean everything up, take a nice print of the room tone and the tonal characteristics of the voice and then just recalculate. All it needs is figuring out the formants I suppose, and rhythm. AI and machine learning will do that lickitysplit.
(yay obsolescence (engineers))
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
...All it needs is figuring out the formants I suppose, and rhythm. ...
We've already got the formants pretty well licked algorithmically, and have had them for decades. We've also got fundamental under control, with modern FFT.

Pitch variation is already in Rx7, but would need AI to automate well.

This is for generic/stock voices. The 'performance-specific' stuff like rhythm and phoneme shifts will take training... and I'm waiting for SAG-AFTRA to weigh in on that.

--

About twenty years ago, I proposed in one of my columns a new form of ultimate noice control:
You'd analyze the production track for meaning and prosody, ignoring noise and acoustics. Like we're doing now in Google Home, Alexa, etc. Wouldn't even worry about meaning, just a kind of super-vocoder.

Then you'd re-synthesize it cleanly.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Guru

Automation=less work=less money.

Soon enough it'll be sufficiently easy for picture editors to use and we'll be obsolete.. At least in a lot of segments.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
my guess is it's gonna be some sort of auto-eq matching for getting lavs/booms/adr sounding closer together.
I would love physical modeling of lav mics along with poor placement. Adjustable levels of chestiness, select the layers of winter clothing, amount of companding and limiting, etc... So if we get a cue self-recorded at home on a phone or a too pristine studio recording - presto change-o it applies the model and matches the terrible production sound.

Slightly tongue in cheek but I wouldn't hate it.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Automation=less work=less money.

Soon enough it'll be sufficiently easy for picture editors to use and we'll be obsolete.. At least in a lot of segments.
Not sure we will be obsolete... maybe on the lowest of budget videos. There might be better tools, but most of the editors I work with don't have decent monitors or a room. I think the most important thing I need to work is a decent, treated studio with calibrated monitors.

I could probably create a better mix with the pro tools stock plugins than most editors with the full izotope suite.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Baxter Put View Post
Not sure we will be obsolete... maybe on the lowest of budget videos.
I think it'll extend into the "midrange" as well. Not complete obsolescence, but pretty bad. Saved money is saved money.

Quote:
There might be better tools, but most of the editors I work with don't have decent monitors or a room. I think the most important thing I need to work is a decent, treated studio with calibrated monitors.

I could probably create a better mix with the pro tools stock plugins than most editors with the full izotope suite.
Oh, no doubt that we'll still be able to create something better, but that isn't really what drives what I'm talking about. What drives it is "Will it pass QC internally and externally" and "What does it cost".

So if you can get a low(er) cost engineer to do a worse job but it's still "good enough" for everyone who makes decisions then that's who gets the job. Now just substitute that guy for software.

The difference is the software never complains about pay or unpaid overtime, late hours, poor decisions that compromise the artistic vision etc. And I bet more and more companies are going to hire us and maybe have us mix straight in the NLE only to then take note of our plugin use and just do it themselves later.

Sorry for being pessimistic about it..
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
but most of the editors I work with don't have decent monitors or a room. I think the most important thing I need to work is a decent, treated studio with calibrated monitors.
If you're talking about dialog editing then monitors and a treated room are not necessary. I'd say AT LEAST half of the bigger budget features have DX/ADR editors working with headphones, some of them in the same room.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I would love physical modeling of lav mics along with poor placement. Adjustable levels of chestiness, select the layers of winter clothing, amount of companding and limiting, etc... So if we get a cue self-recorded at home on a phone or a too pristine studio recording - presto change-o it applies the model and matches the terrible production sound.

Slightly tongue in cheek but I wouldn't hate it.
yeah, this is more along the lines of what i was thinking! not just their ambient match thingy, which i think fsrenduro was referring to.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post
If you're talking about dialog editing then monitors and a treated room are not necessary. I'd say AT LEAST half of the bigger budget features have DX/ADR editors working with headphones, some of them in the same room.
No... I'm talking about picture editors who are asked to create a final mix.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think it'll extend into the "midrange" as well. Not complete obsolescence, but pretty bad. Saved money is saved money.

Oh, no doubt that we'll still be able to create something better, but that isn't really what drives what I'm talking about. What drives it is "Will it pass QC internally and externally" and "What does it cost".

So if you can get a low(er) cost engineer to do a worse job but it's still "good enough" for everyone who makes decisions then that's who gets the job. Now just substitute that guy for software.

The difference is the software never complains about pay or unpaid overtime, late hours, poor decisions that compromise the artistic vision etc. And I bet more and more companies are going to hire us and maybe have us mix straight in the NLE only to then take note of our plugin use and just do it themselves later.

You are correct, and I have lost a pretty regular gig because the picture editors were forced to make the final mix and sound design. It's a youtube show, but for a big channel. The bought izotope and do what they can. It doesn't sound that great, and I know the picture editors would prefer that I do it, but the budget can't afford me.

I just offer my services when they have something they want to sound professional.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Nut

I read on another forum that this is new product, it was posted by one of the larger plugin stores.
Old 4th November 2019
Old 4th November 2019
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Also on their store: Dialog Match
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Guru

I don't feel entirely thrilled about this.
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Here is what they have up on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1w3...ature=youtu.be
Wow. A teaser campaign with animated graphics, and zero information (other than a bland assertion).

I thought iZotope was more real than that. In the past they've been recognized for the quality of their products. Not for their hocus-pocus.

Did they hire a kid fresh out of marketing school? Did they give a high school intern a budget?

C'mon, iZotope: this is what your marketing wizard would call b-to-b. In post, you're dealing with serious pros who make business investments in their tools, based on how they'll increase productivity. That requires information, not slogans. If you've got a new category of product, tell us what it is.

Save the teasers for MI and Instagram.

Not quite a disclaimer: I've written about iZotope products in my books and journal articles, and I've paid for the RX apps I use in my studio. How about a little respect for your users, iZo?
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I agree.
If you're interested in the for me best article how to possibly deal with this:
https://theartofresearch.org/ai-ubi-and-data/
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

haha, called it! :D
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

I'll refrain from judging it based on the one clip they have on the product page but I found this usage tip amusing:

"2. Avoid using noisy reference audio."
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5m3...ature=youtu.be

Note at :06 sec in in the lower left corner

Where it was shot ..
The Dub Stage!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search